• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

davidmk31

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this forum, looking to get a authentic sterlingwear as the concensus seems to be pretty good with them, and I am not looking to spend too much on some expensive designer pea coat.

I'm 5'9" ~145 lbs. 34-35 in chest. I'm looking to go for the more slim fit, but not so much that I won't be able to layer at all. So I am thinking about buying both a 32R and 34R and seeing which one fits better, then returning one. But...I am worried a 32R could be too short though, and thinking about trying a 32L. At my height, is this an incorrect assumption? Would 32L be too long in the sleeves/and overall length?

Thanks!

Peacoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by davidmk31
Hi I'm new to this forum, looking to get a authentic sterlingwear as the concensus seems to be pretty good with them, and I am not looking to spend too much on some expensive designer pea coat.

I'm 5'9" ~145 lbs. 34-35 in chest. I'm looking to go for the more slim fit, but not so much that I won't be able to layer at all. So I am thinking about buying both a 32R and 34R and seeing which one fits better, then returning one. But...I am worried a 32R could be too short though, and thinking about trying a 32L. At my height, is this an incorrect assumption? Would 32L be too long in the sleeves/and overall length?

Thanks!

When you go down a size, it's probably a good idea to go with the long. If you normally wear a 34, and it is a good fit in the sleeves and body, then a 32R will be about an inch, shorter (maybe less) in the sleeves and about an inch or two shorter in the body length.

VictorC

Reaction score
How long in inches is a 34 regular in the sleeves btw? Theres lots of guys in this thread with pigeon sized chests it seems. .

But i suppose people nowadays really like the fitted look. I dont get theimpression this is how it was before in the past.

davidmk31

Reaction score
thanks for the response!

i was just looking at the sizing charts on Sterlingwears website, and according to the chart, all the R sleeves are the same length? So does this mean whether I ordered the 34R or the 32R, the sleeves would be the same length?... That doesnt seem right.

And what is the difference between the 100% virgin wool of the black Navigator and the 80% wool/20% nylon of the black Authentic? Which one is better quality/warmer? I'm in a pretty cold climate and want the warmerst materials possible. Thanks!

Peacoat

Reaction score
That's what the chart says. Can't see how the sleeve length would be the same for a 32 as it would be for a 58. Something isn't right. Normally the the sleeve length increases about 1/2" for each increase in size. The body length normally increases about the same.

The 100% wool will be a warmer coat.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Note that the sleeve length in that chart is down the inside seam. I think it's quite possible that this measurement would remain the same.

dunelly

Reaction score
question
if i have 17" shoulders
how would a pea coat with 18" shoulders fit? Since it is an overcoat, should I aim for 17" coat shoulders or 18? I see some 36r with 17 shoulders and 34r with 18, makes no sense

Peacoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by davidmk31
thanks for the response!

i was just looking at the sizing charts on Sterlingwears website, and according to the chart, all the R sleeves are the same length? So does this mean whether I ordered the 34R or the 32R, the sleeves would be the same length?... That doesnt seem right.

And what is the difference between the 100% virgin wool of the black Navigator and the 80% wool/20% nylon of the black Authentic? Which one is better quality/warmer? I'm in a pretty cold climate and want the warmerst materials possible. Thanks!

I just noticed you said you wanted the warmest materials possible. Then you should go with the issue peacoat. It is warmer than the civilian models. If you live in a windy or rainy area, you should consider a vintage issue peacoat. The wool is denser than the current issue and provides for a windproof outer shell that is relatively water resistant.

Originally Posted by dunelly
question
if i have 17" shoulders
how would a pea coat with 18" shoulders fit? Since it is an overcoat, should I aim for 17" coat shoulders or 18? I see some 36r with 17 shoulders and 34r with 18, makes no sense

Actually it isn't worn as an overcoat. It is worn over a shirt or a sweater, not over a sport coat or suit coat.

dunelly

Reaction score
err thats what I meant, thanks.
I don't know how it should be, I guess I need 17" shoulder measurements?

infinittii

Reaction score
does the width of sleeves matter at all? possible to get it tapered? or is it best to not touch it

VictorC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
We just got an H&M in here and I was able to try on their peacoat yesterday. Really nothing to write home about. The wool seemed cheapish and the cut wasn't that slim. They also didn't make the nice one with the slik lining in anything higher than 44. Which, of course, fit me in the body but left me unable to functionally hug someone while wearing the coat.

Actually i dont think this handm looks bad for thepriice. It is only 50% wool though that is the problem. But the big buttons looks quite classic. It is a bit bulky but that dont detract from it too mcuh as it looks rather classic.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just received my Sterlingwear Authentic 36R. Fit is pretty slim. I'm 5'10 and about 160 lbs but all my fat is concentrated in my belly and I have slim arms and legs. The shoulders seams are slightly awkward compared to a suit. The pockets are in a comfortable place even though it looks like a weird position for a pocket. I'm impressed and I guess for $150 that's an alright deal.

Nogo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmmbillski
I just got my Sterlingwear Navigator peacoat yesterday. It's a 36R, and I'm 5'9", 150 lbs, with a 37" chest. I was originally going to order a 38R, but sized down thanks to nogo's posts. Unfortunately, I still feel like the peacoat is pretty big on me. In the photos below, I'm only wearing a t-shirt ... it feels a little tighter with a sweatshirt on, but I don't wear sweatshirts too often. In the 2nd picture, I'm holding my hand out as far as I can to show how much room I have inside the coat. How is the length and cut? I was expecting a slimmer fit. Am I being picky? I have no problem with the material, its super warm, and I think it fits me well around the shoulders.

You should see if you can get the waist taken in. I'm thinking of doing it to mine.

Nogo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bb714
Here's a picture of my Sterlingwear Authentic 34R with just a tshirt under. I got it today, but the shoulders seem a bit chunky and just a little too long. Anyone recommend a 32S or 32R? My chest is 36", 5'8", ~135lbs. I'll put this one up for sale if a 32S or 32R fits better. Sorry for the pic quality. Just snapped a quick pic after a shower.

photoon20101115at1457.jpg

photoon20101115at14572.jpg

I agree with the shoulders being chunky and long. I'm thinking of getting my paddings removed or trimmed at least, and the armhole is HUGE...

Nogo

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good pea coat tailor around the Dallas/Fort Worth area?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads