• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OCBD + darts?

loreley

Reaction score
Sorry if this belongs in the men's clothing forum, but I couldn't seem to find a def. answer....

Do darts "belong" on an OCBD shirt where there is a center box pleat in the rear? Or would it look out of place?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like the look myself.

I suggest you wear them if you like them. It is personal taste.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by loreley
Sorry if this belongs in the men's clothing forum, but I couldn't seem to find a def. answer.... Do darts "belong" on an OCBD shirt where there is a center box pleat in the rear? Or would it look out of place?
1610_back.jpg
Decide for yourself. I think it looks fine, although I'd prefer side pleats with darts. Aware that the BoO center pleat/dart is a bit of its own beast, but similar enough to get the idea. ps: how did context size that shirt so wrong for the model, those shoulders are depressing.

hamm23

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1969
Scott Steinberg has a ******* yacht based on this combination. Not sure if that answers your question though.

I believe you're trying to reference Scott Sternberg...

loreley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
1610_back.jpg

Decide for yourself. I think it looks fine, although I'd prefer side pleats with darts. Aware that the BoO center pleat/dart is a bit of its own beast, but similar enough to get the idea.

ps: how did context size that shirt so wrong for the model, those shoulders are depressing.

Maybe I have my terminology wrong, but the "box pleat" on my OCBD is just an inch or so across and down. It's an AA shirt fwiw....

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by loreley
Maybe I have my terminology wrong, but the "box pleat" on my OCBD is just an inch or so across and down. It's an AA shirt fwiw....

That's because it's not pressed, so all the fullness only gathers at the exact point of the fold or pleat.

Also don't buy AA shirts. They suck, they are worse than the Gap.

loreley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
That's because it's not pressed, so all the fullness only gathers at the exact point of the fold or pleat.

Also don't buy AA shirts. They suck, they are worse than the Gap.

Thanks for the info. I'm guessing this "full press" isn't something I can achieve with just an iron?

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Darts and boxpleats make a weird combination, but sometimes you have no choice.

aaaeeeiiiooouuu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
1610_back.jpg

ps: how did context size that shirt so wrong for the model, those shoulders are depressing.

Yeah, I've noticed that few stores fit their models w/ BoO properly. Maybe b/c they don't want to run the risk of stretching the material out at all? They are $200+ shirts, after all

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shirt fits perfectly dunno what you're complaining about

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think its personal choice/taste more than anything, and I think it looks good on most shirts and if you have the body for it even better but I woldnt wear them if I didnt have a significant V shape torso.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads