• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tom Ford Womenswear?

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
0-ford3.jpg
0-ford.jpg
0-ford2.jpg
I'm not sure what to think. Your opinion?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
I'm not sure what to think. Your opinion?
What's not to like? They look like twists on the stuff that made him a household name for nearly a decade. The REAL question is whether anybody CARES about that anymore, now that the whole "luxe/sexy" aesthetic is about as dead as the minimalism that preceded it.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Has Tom Ford lost weight?
Yes. He switched from gin and tonics to diet coke.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder what the actual RTW stuff will look like, not the runway looks.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
IIRC in an interview someone asked if he would be doing a women's collection and he said only when he was ready.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
The REAL question is whether anybody CARES about that anymore, now that the whole "luxe/sexy" aesthetic is about as dead as the minimalism that preceded it.
I get the idea that he's going to focus more on outfitting women for events rather than a pure RTW line. I can see a lot of rich women caring.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
I get the idea that he's going to focus more on outfitting women for events rather than a pure RTW line.

I can see a lot of rich women and Spoo caring.

FTFY

I think its ******* awesome. Its EXACTLY his aesthetic. He created it, and sex is synonymous with his name, both mens and womens. He's going to make a gold mine.
inlove.gif

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coincidentally, Thom Browne is introducing a women's line for the spring as well.
ThomBrownepreview8.jpg

haiguise

Reaction score
It's interesting how unnatural TF looks next to those women. Still, I welcome the womenswear line wholeheartedly. Damn I love sexy women.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
I get the idea that he's going to focus more on outfitting women for events rather than a pure RTW line.

I can see a lot of rich women caring.

I agree. I guess I meant in more of a general "fashion" way; I mean, Armani sells tons, but very few fashion fans/mags/editors/critics really discuss his work. I bet Elbaz for Lanvin sells 1/10000 what Armani does, but gets much more press.

I was just curious if he'd be a "hit" artistically and critically, or if he'd sort of go the Armani route and be a staple of the Red Carpets, but largely overlooked by the "field."

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Interesting, Rach - but I have to disagree here. Armani sells tons of mid-tier stuff. The Prive line is probably closest to what TF is going to be and I bet they dont move a hell of alot of it. The advantage Alber has over Giorgio is that he has more street cred. Lanvin accessories are RED hot - Armani - meh. The "Lanvin look" is on fire, advertising budget is mega to capitalize on it. GA - my guess is sales are down and they cut their advertising budget. In a nutshell, I think Lanvin is outselling GA at this particular moment, but GA is going to win in the long run. Im not sure I think that TF is going to go the solo red carpet look. Tom and Domenico are too good at marketing themselves and a lifestyle to focus solely on one aspect of womenswear. Granted, there will be hundreds of women clamoring to be the first on the carpet with a TF gown (no red tags though
laugh.gif
) but they know the money comes from selling alot of a little - and thats what I think they will work on making the most of. 2 years down the road, watch for bags and SLGs.
smile.gif

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Interesting, Rach - but I have to disagree here. Armani sells tons of mid-tier stuff. The Prive line is probably closest to what TF is going to be and I bet they dont move a hell of alot of it.

The advantage Alber has over Giorgio is that he has more street cred. Lanvin accessories are RED hot - Armani - meh. The "Lanvin look" is on fire, advertising budget is mega to capitalize on it. GA - my guess is sales are down and they cut their advertising budget. In a nutshell, I think Lanvin is outselling GA at this particular moment, but GA is going to win in the long run.

Im not sure I think that TF is going to go the solo red carpet look. Tom and Domenico are too good at marketing themselves and a lifestyle to focus solely on one aspect of womenswear. Granted, there will be hundreds of women clamoring to be the first on the carpet with a TF gown (no red tags though
laugh.gif
) but they know the money comes from selling alot of a little - and thats what I think they will work on making the most of. 2 years down the road, watch for bags and SLGs.
smile.gif

This makes a lot of sense, Spoo. Though, I heard that Prive is one of the best selling or perhaps the ONLY couture line of any that doesn't lose TONS of money each year.

Agreed on TF women's bags, but they're going to have to see where to place them/price points; TF's men's accessories are so ridiculously overpriced that they're nearly at Hermes level. $4000 for a canvas and leather tote? I don't think so...
wink.gif

Women's premium bags in the retail $1500-2500 range might work, but you can barely get a TF wallet for that. (haha j/k)

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads