• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bb714
Here's a picture of my Sterlingwear Authentic 34R with just a tshirt under. I got it today, but the shoulders seem a bit chunky and just a little too long. Anyone recommend a 32S or 32R? My chest is 36", 5'8", ~135lbs. I'll put this one up for sale if a 32S or 32R fits better. Sorry for the pic quality. Just snapped a quick pic after a shower.

I can't tell what's more blurry...the part you blurred out or the rest of the picture

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrpress
Here's my Medium Tall J.Crew. I'm 6'4 165. I've got a lightweight sweater over a t-shirt under the coat. Fit and sleeve length look ok? The weird discoloration in the first pic is from the flash. Sorry for ****** lighting.

Not to try and post picture critiques twice in a row...but really?

As I was scrolling down, I first saw your MS Paint work on your face and then I thought you had also decided to MS Paint over your body in black.

bb714

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
I can't tell what's more blurry...the part you blurred out or the rest of the picture

I just took a few new pictures, and replaced the original ones.

Peacoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by evilbananas
Has anyone ordered from the vintagetrends website? They give the measurements for each coat, but i'm suspicious as to whether they are correct. I don't want to take the chance of ordering from a place that has a ****** return policy.

I haven't ordered from them, but I know people who have. Haven't heard anything negative.

Read the section on sizing in the article at Fedora (link is a few pages back) and then ask for the measurements as described in that article. If you won't be wearing a sweater, or if you will be and don't mind a snug fit, then you could probably go a size down for a more fitted look.

I believe VT has policy of return for credit on another purchase from them.

If you don't find the link, I can post it again.

VictorC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bb714
Here's a picture of my Sterlingwear Authentic 34R with just a tshirt under. I got it today, but the shoulders seem a bit chunky and just a little too long. Anyone recommend a 32S or 32R? My chest is 36", 5'8", ~135lbs. I'll put this one up for sale if a 32S or 32R fits better. Sorry for the pic quality. Just snapped a quick pic after a shower.

photoon20101115at1457.jpg

photoon20101115at14572.jpg

From the front it dont look too bad.....in fact it looks like it fits. The second pic isnt clear. Is it possible not to have your hands in your pockets? Is it too long in the arms you think? So you want a short is it your saying?

evilbananas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peacoat
I haven't ordered from them, but I know people who have. Haven't heard anything negative.

Read the section on sizing in the article at Fedora (link is a few pages back) and then ask for the measurements as described in that article. If you won't be wearing a sweater, or if you will be and don't mind a snug fit, then you could probably go a size down for a more fitted look.

I believe VT has policy of return for credit on another purchase from them.

If you don't find the link, I can post it again.

Peacoat,

I read your article at Fedora and learned a lot from it; thank you for sharing your research. I ended up ordering this issued peacoat from ebay:

LINK

Based off the actual measurements, it should work perfect for me.

bb714

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VictorC
From the front it dont look too bad.....in fact it looks like it fits. The second pic isnt clear. Is it possible not to have your hands in your pockets? Is it too long in the arms you think? So you want a short is it your saying?

The arms are the correct length. Just wanted to know if the 34 looked a little too big. Looking at it again, I do think it fits.

Zaarin

Reaction score
I got my Sterlingwear today. I'm 6'0 160lb. I went with 32L (chest is 34). It's super snug. The sleeves is around my wrist. I was considering getting a 34 but I dont want to get into the hassle of returning it. I don't know.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zaarin
I got my Sterlingwear today. I'm 6'0 160lb. I went with 32L (chest is 34). It's super snug. The sleeves is around my wrist. I was considering getting a 34 but I dont want to get into the hassle of returning it. I don't know.

You can extend the length of your sleeves by a tailor. That's what I did with my J Crew peacoat and wow I just love it now. Perfect fit for me everywhere. Will post a fit picture here sometime soon.

Peacoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by evilbananas
Peacoat,

I read your article at Fedora and learned a lot from it; thank you for sharing your research. I ended up ordering this issued peacoat from ebay:

LINK

Based off the actual measurements, it should work perfect for me.

Yes, it is a current issue Sterlingwear (Vi Mil) from 1980. It ought to keep you warm this winter.

Glad you enjoyed the article.

Zaarin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clarksdb
You can extend the length of your sleeves by a tailor. That's what I did with my J Crew peacoat and wow I just love it now. Perfect fit for me everywhere. Will post a fit picture here sometime soon.

I'm considering returning it just for the coat size. I can wear a hoodie or sweater with the peacoat but the back/side is very tight. Sleeves barely gets to the wrist. The peacoat HUGS my body. I have a small chest, tall but wide shoulders. Considering doing 32L to 34L. (Chest @ 34).

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got a shipping confirmation for my Sterlingwear! I'm a 37 chest so I hope the 36 fits well

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads