• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnston Murphy Cellini Collection

kwright11

Reaction score
Hey everybody,
I just bought a pair of Johnston Murphy shoes and was informed that they are of the "Cellini" collection.
Well i've been doing some searching around for information and can't find anything about this collection of shoes.
If anybody could fill me in I would appreciate it!

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sounds like the finest quality leathers and workmanship money can buy. are they bespoke or simply MTM? How many fittings?

cmacey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwright11
Hey everybody,
I just bought a pair of Johnston Murphy shoes and was informed that they are of the "Cellini" collection.
Well i've been doing some searching around for information and can't find anything about this collection of shoes.
If anybody could fill me in I would appreciate it!

No luck with the J&M website...suggest you E-mail their customer service of the requested information. Googling resulted in one or two loafer offerings.

HarleyBob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
sounds like the finest quality leathers and workmanship money can buy. are they bespoke or simply MTM? How many fittings?

What's the point of this post? Are you just trying to make someone feel bad? Come on, you have no idea what the OP's situation is. He is obviously pleased about his purchase, unless he too is being factitious. Not everyone can afford $1,000+ for a pair of shoes, nor should everyone who can afford them, spend the money. Give the guy a break!

billacorn

Reaction score
Kwright11, I have a pair of the Cellini collection I bought in 1999 from Dillard's. I believe they were made in Italy and listed for about $150-160, though I got them for about half from a sale rack. Mine are a 3-eyelet, light brown, dress shoe finish with rubber soles. I wore them maybe 30-40 times a year for a few years in a casual situation where they got banged around a good bit. In addition I did not polish them often. As a result the leather became scuffed, though with polish the shoes are still wearable with khakis. The rubber sole has held up well for me and is comfortable. In my opinion these shoes were reasonable value for the money. As far as filling you in on technical details of the Cellini construction and materials I am not capable of doing that. If you have not been lurking here you may not realize that most high volume posters have no interest in shoes of lesser quality than Allen Edmonds and many view AE as plebeian.

kwright11

Reaction score
hah yeah, I had a feeling the first reply was poking a little bit of fun at me. He probably doesn't realize that I'm a college kid and indeed cannot afford to drop a small fortune on a pair of shoes... as much as I would love to = p
Thanks for the replies, they do say "made in italy" on the soles, and I suppose that Cellini is what J&M refers to shoes that are made as such as.

Thanks for the help everyone.

bjornb17

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwright11
hah yeah, I had a feeling the first reply was poking a little bit of fun at me. He probably doesn't realize that I'm a college kid and indeed cannot afford to drop a small fortune on a pair of shoes... as much as I would love to = p
Thanks for the replies, they do say "made in italy" on the soles, and I suppose that Cellini is what J&M refers to shoes that are made as such as.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I've realized that no matter what you buy, somebody here is going to taunt you because it is not up to their standards. Even if it is better than what 90% of people wear, which J&M is. Take those types of comments with a grain of salt and realize that much of it is just a bad attempt at trying to be humorous (I am guilty of this myself!).

J0sey Wales

Reaction score
I am very much in the same boat as you kwright11! I have just bought some as well! And I am too very curious as to how well J&M made these guys! Mine are penny loafers.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My experience with Johnston & Murphy.
-obscenely comfortable
-terrible durability
-inferior leather
-obscenely comfortable

J&M are my go to beaters. For a college kid, they are a great buy. Don't feel bad about adding a few more to your shoe collection.

That being said, ask for a pair of AE's for Christmas or something. Your feet have stopped growing, and if you just wear those AE's when nice dress shoes are called for and take good care of them, they'll last you well past your college years, at which point you'll start buying better shoes anyway.

meestro

Reaction score

I just received these Cellinis from an eBay purchase...Rubber bottom. These are my first shoes of this sort. I have some shoe trees, but still need to pick up some conditioner/balm & polish. Does anyone recommend a particular shade of shoe cream for this shoe? I am looking to get some black Meltons, and will likely go with a simple kiwi polish for those, but I would like to maintain this sort of satin glow for the brown shoes. Any tips?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads