• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spoils of Napoli

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Manton, in addition to Solito and NSM, did you opt to purchase or check out the tailor shop's of any other Neopolitan tailor(s)?

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
They did it to me. Thick, gloopy sugar that must be stirred into the coffee or else it will congeal at the bottom of the cup.

You have to ask for your caffe "amaro".

Wirr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bull
Manton - good point, but Italy's trains are disgraceful compared to, say, Sweden's. I was recently in Sweden working for a deal and, while there, I took the train from Stockholm to Karlstad, and then took a quickie puddle-jumper flight from Karlstad back to Stockholm. Can I tell you the truth? I preferred the train. Ran on time, very clean, and I was able to work for a couple hours while quietly whizzing past really beautiful scenery. Overall, the trains in countries like Sweden can't be beat - it's just amazing.

That being said, I flew biz class on Scandinavian from Stockholm back to Chicago and that airlines is
bigstar[1].gif
...Swedish stewardesses FTW.

Btw, give me a break with this "sugar in my coffee without asking" stuff - only in America do we obsess over every calorie that goes into our coffee/tea! You guys need to visit Iran - there, you stick a sugar cube in your cheek and drink unsweetened tea over it, so that every sip tastes like candy. By the end of the cup, you've ingested 20 sugar cubes and feel like you can run across the ceiling. Mmmmm...delish.

I guess you wasn't going with the train last winter in Swe. It was a real pain. We had LOTS of snow last year. The traffic was down a long time and was never in time. People here don't like the SJ. (Swedish railroad, it's a company, but they have more or less monopoly.) But I'm happy you had better experiences to share of Swe ;p

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, I said I would report on Manton's Mina suit, so here it is:

The fit can't really be faulted, and it looks perfectly nice, but I don't personally like the style of it. The shoulders, though unpadded, are very, very straight. They're a bit incongruent with the shirt-set sleeves, which are more pronounced than what Solito seems to do, and even more so when compared to Rubinacci. The front is not tight per se, but it does appear very lean and clean. Not much shaping around the chest.

Happily, unlike A&S, they got the sleeves right.

Manton pointed out that he had to push a bit to get them to loosen up the jacket, which fits pretty darn close to the body as is. I would not want it any tighter, personally.

Overall, it's a very nice suit and fits very well. It just doesn't do it for me on a subjective level. I've seen Manton in Solito, which I liked a lot more.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
The fit can't really be faulted, and it looks perfectly nice, but I don't personally like the style of it. The shoulders, though unpadded, are very, very straight.
Mina says that the shoulder head will relax with wear and eventually fall naturally. I know she pulled pretty hard down on mine to acccelerate that process, but eventually said to trust her that it will settle down more naturally.

I don't know if Manton had the same experience / speech.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Mina says that the shoulder head will relax with wear and eventually fall naturally. I know she pulled pretty hard down on mine to acccelerate that process, but eventually said to trust her that it will settle down more naturally.

IME, it is true to a degree, at least with my stuff.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
^^^ Clear your inbox.

Only for you. There's only one spot though--better move quickly.

Originally Posted by gdl203

I guess that's true. But, these shoulders were super, super straight. Maybe that will change over time. I just don't like 'em as is.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bull
Manton - good point, but Italy's trains are disgraceful compared to, say, Sweden's.

Yeah, but you're, you know, still in Sweden.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Mina did not say anything about the shoulders falling, though I assume they will; all my soft coats have to date. Her tailor did give the coat a major tug all the way around. I gather this is another Naples thing.

p1030242h.jpg

p1030246t.jpg

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ That NSM looks very good Manton. Bodes well for my stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads