• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hip strength and flexibility exercises

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Wondering if you guys had any advice for this one. I can't seem to make any inroads on my hip flexibility despite my constant stretching and foam rolling. Every day it seems to snap back to its previously inflexible state. I thought it might be a lack of specific muscle strength that's causing it but I'm not sure. Any suggestions on exercises? I'm currently just doing a hip flexor stretch where you kneel in a lunge position and tilt to the opposite side. That and the one where you lie on your back and bring the knee towards the chest.

bradsmitty

Reaction score
Yeah, those are the ones that I do as well. They have actually helped me though. Do you put the foam roller underneath you when you lay down and bring your knee toward your chest?

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try Stretching Scientifically, it is pretty good on how to develop flexibility. Also mobilitywod.blogspot.com - search through there for exercises. And yes, blah, blah, blah we all hate crossfit cultists... whatever.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bradsmitty
Yeah, those are the ones that I do as well. They have actually helped me though. Do you put the foam roller underneath you when you lay down and bring your knee toward your chest?
Underneath my glutes or hamstrings? I usually do neither. I do the stretches separate from the foam rolling.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Underneath my glutes or hamstrings? I usually do neither. I do the stretches separate from the foam rolling.

Usually under the small of your back or your tailbone if you're trying to stretch the psoas, so that the leg that is straight can be below the line of your torso, with the other leg's knee pulled up to your chest.

What are you trying to get more flexible? The hip moves in many directions, and hip flexibility can mean many different things.

--Andre

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
Usually under the small of your back or your tailbone if you're trying to stretch the psoas, so that the leg that is straight can be below the line of your torso, with the other leg's knee pulled up to your chest. What are you trying to get more flexible? The hip moves in many directions, and hip flexibility can mean many different things. --Andre
Tried the stretch with the foam roller last night. Interesting twist but I don't think it added much to the actual stretching of the flexor. I have limited flexibility in my hips. I can't cross my left leg over my right without swinging it up first or using my hands. I think its why my lower back keeps rounding when I squat. I feel them tighten frequently and I think it affects my piriformis and glutes as well. Those are probably overly tight also.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yoga - really, I can't think of anything better not just for hip, but for overall, flexibility.

I'm being a hypocrite - the only yoga I've ever done was about 5 minutes of poses my wife taught me, but pretty much every jiujitsu teacher I've had has recommended it as a great way to be able to really make inroads on core strength and flexibility.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I do it, sadly, but I can't seem to make any concrete gains. I have problems with the hip stretches. nothing serious but they're more difficult than the other leg poses and if I ever skip stretching for a day they snap back to inflexibility. That's part of the reason I asked about strengthening the muscles, so that I might be able to hold onto the flexibility a bit better.

Becks23

Reaction score
How is your squatting?

Are you able to break parallel with ease? Maybe try incorporating some front squats.

Also look into barbell thrusts for increased strength.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Back when I was doing them I could break parallel with ease. The problem was that my low back would round ever so slightly. I asked the forum and "hip inflexibility" was diagnosed as the likely culprit which I agree with.

Is a barbell thrust a bridge with a barbell on your lap?

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Back when I was doing them I could break parallel with ease. The problem was that my low back would round ever so slightly. I asked the forum and "hip inflexibility" was diagnosed as the likely culprit which I agree with.

Is a barbell thrust a bridge with a barbell on your lap?

sit in a deep squat a few times a day for a couple of minutes each time. concentrate of keeping your chest up.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mobility wod has helped me a lot.

as far as hip strentgh, squats and power cleans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads