• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Making your own pickles

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Milpool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
anyone have any luck with colouring the pickles?

im putting in a batch of cauliflower pieces and am using some safron to dye them. are there any other natural colourings you can use to make them more interesting?

Depends on the color and taste you want. Achiote would work. Turmeric would work. The other suggestions would work.

vinouspleasure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I shed a tear when guss' garlic pickles closed. The full sour was to die for. But we still have the pickle guys.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vinouspleasure
But we still have the pickle guys.

and this thread. bump!

1114002116.jpg
[/IMG]

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
lots of pickled dill and one cucumber?
redface.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I still owe you that recipe. Will be reading "the book" soon, as I need to pick out a sausage recipe for next weekend, and will poast recipe.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
lots of pickled dill and one cucumber?
redface.gif

lol. there are ten cukes wrapped in that dill blanket. a thanksgiving gift for my grandmother. btw, i borrowed your quick recipe for a housewarming gift. big success, although i employed kosher salt instead of the gallon of fleur de sel that you used, Daddy Warbucks.
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I still owe you that recipe. Will be reading "the book" soon, as I need to pick out a sausage recipe for next weekend, and will poast recipe.
looking forward to it, as always.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
just tried the first batch of pickles using ruhlamn's recipe. ******* awful. i almost threw up. the flavor was so clove and all spice heavy. aside from that every single veggie was as a soggy as a wet noodle. will try a smaller batch, less salt, less cloves. blech.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
just tried the first batch of pickles using ruhlamn's recipe. ******* awful. i almost threw up. the flavor was so clove and all spice heavy. aside from that every single veggie was as a soggy as a wet noodle. will try a smaller batch, less salt, less cloves. blech.
I found the same with his recipe.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I found the same with his recipe.

that's both reassuring and frustrating. curious what piob's experience has been.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mordecai
lol. there are ten cukes wrapped in that dill blanket. a thanksgiving gift for my grandmother. btw, i borrowed your quick recipe for a housewarming gift. big success, although i employed kosher salt instead of the gallon of fleur de sel that you used, Daddy Warbucks.

looking back on it was sel marin, I just use whatever salt i have on hand at the time.
redface.gif
If I had 5500 sq ft of living space I could stock more than two salts.
redface.gif

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I just realized I've never made kimchi before, though I've lived here for like 10 years basically, and been presented with the opportunity to, many times. I like kimchi if the final taste doesn't get the strong fishy aftertaste, and I'm sure that's a byproduct of which fish sauce is used for fermentation, but I can't eat aobut 80-90% of standard kimchi because the raw squid sauce they normally use, I can't stand. I have the feeling it's the shrimp-based stuff that i prefer more.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I need to do some reading again. I made a batch of pickled veggies from his book and they were great. Did you get everything 100% submerged, no air bubbles, and at the proper temp?

Edit: okay, I used the "natural pickle" from page 69 and did not use his Pickling Spice. I did use a bunch of fresh herbs and aromatics though. No allspice, cloves, or ginger. Do use garlic, peppercorns, fresh herbs, mace, coriander seeds and a few other things. I found mushrooms did not come out with a good texture. Sliced onion, bell peppers, and garlic cloves rocked.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads