• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oak Street Bootmakers

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by *#..
Why don't you like the vibram sole?

its not that i dont like the vibram sole, its just that all of my mocs (with the exception of a one pair of yuketens) all have a camp or boat sole and its what im use to.

the vibram sole is growing on me though...

thanks again for taking those pics. super cool of you.

*#..

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
its not that i dont like the vibram sole, its just that all of my mocs (with the exception of a one pair of yuketens) all have a camp or boat sole and its what im use to.

You're welcome! I'm probably shipping them back out tomorrow. They're already boxed and ready to go. Since all your mocs have camp/boat soles, a little variety wouldn't hurt.

lawlercon

Reaction score
you will grow to want to wear nothing but vibram soles. they're super comfortable and can really make your 8-12 hour days on your feet not as painful. i'm strictly vibram soles in all my boots/oxford type shoes now.

Ghumbs

Reaction score

Well my opinion hasn't changed. I think Vibram soles look a little too ~*LUGZ*~. I know they're nice and functional, but I don't find them to be very stylish.

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alanjav
these came in the mail on Friday. The Horween Chromexcel leather is amazing. (Sorry file size is too big to upload)

http://afinancialstatement.blogspot....kers-navy.html

Since you just got your pair, can you weigh in on sizing? There isn't quite a consensus on the board yet. What size do you measure on a Brannock/most normally wear in dress shoes, and what size did you buy? Did you go true to size or size down a half size?

Thanks!

alanjav

Reaction score
I definitely went down half a size. They fit almost exactly like my Red Wing Irish Setters. With most Red Wings I've tried on or own I've generally gone down a half size. By going down a half size it's comfortable sock-less and when you put on camp socks, the shoe almost fits like a glove. Hope this helps.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I definitely went down half a size. They fit almost exactly like my Red Wing Irish Setters. With most Red Wings I've tried on or own I've generally gone down a half size. By going down a half size it's comfortable sock-less and when you put on camp socks, the shoe almost fits like a glove. Hope this helps.
did you measure your foot? i dont have any red wings so i have no idea how their sizing runs.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My foot is a size 10. Hope this helps. If you want it snug go down a full size.
really? that is interesting. im still holding out hope that they will be the same size as my yuketen and quoddys. i thought for sure i would be the same size i measured on a brannock device because george mentioned the lasts are consistent with that (although i dont know im not because i havent got mine yet). ill let you know when i get them.

lawlercon

Reaction score
sizing is basically the same as red wings. my red wings are 10.5, and my oakstreets are 10.5. both fit perfect, no heel slippage right out of the box.

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
My foot is a size 10. Hope this helps. If you want it snug go down a full size.

I'm a little bit confused from the PM you sent me. You said you wear 9.5 in Sperry and 9.5 Oak Street yet you said you sized down? Sperry runs true to size, if not small, from my knowledge.

Have you had your foot measured and you come out a 10? Or is 10 your size in Sneakers? The reason I ask is I can't see a size 10 Brannock measured foot wearing size 9.5 Sperry. And, if you wear 9.5 Sperry and 9.5 Oak Street then, from what I know about my own foot, the Oak Street's are actually running true to size on a Brannock (Sperry does).

Thanks a lot. I'm not trying to contradict what you are saying, I just want to get the sizing right and your Sperry sizing does not sound consistent with the brand sizing and with "sizing down" from a measured foot size.

blackboard_knowledge

Reaction score
im still holding out hope that they will be the same size as my yuketen and quoddys.

I phoned Oak Street before ordering my Trail Oxfords and they claimed that their sizing was true to Brannock measuring --the foot measuring apparatus that they have in shoe stores-- system.

Perhaps per Ghumbs statement --big high-five!-- the sizing on the Vibram sole model is commensurate to the Lugz measurement system
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads