• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Golf Thread

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
I realized I never reported back after my last round, and I should have, because I had my first par! In fact, I had back-to-back pars, one on a par 5, the next on a tough par 3. I was also thisclose to my first birdie. I had an awesome tee shot on a par 3, but I completely screwed up the putt. All in all, it was a good round. I'm seeing improvement with each round, and I'm playing right around double bogey golf, maybe just a bit worse. It's not so bad for someone who has only been playing for six months.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This may be a dumb question for those of you who have been playing for a while, but I'm curious about playing during winter: Is there any risk of damage to equipment from playing in cool/cold weather? I ask because some of my softball bats came with a warning not to use them in temps below 60* (if memory serves me correctly) because of potential damage issues. My understanding is that this is because cooler temps harden the ball and make the bat brittle, opening it up to potential damage. This logic would seem to apply to golf balls/clubs as well, particularly woods and drivers.

So, has anyone ever heard this? If so, what's the risk, in terms of type of damage? Also, what kind of temps do I need to worry about?

No, balls do get harder in cold weather, and you will lose distance because of it. Less spin and all that, otherwise your clubs shouldnt suffer during winter, unless they're the zink alloy inferior type of clubs..

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Great golf lesson. Really made a break through on putting. My swing was too tense and I was sending everything to the left. Got that relaxed feel now that keeps the putter swing straight. Also, really got a good understanding of chipping mechanics/theory now. Was getting 85% of my chips inside that five foot ring and even holed a couple.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Today's game had moments of brilliance, moments of embarrassment. Like, short par five, get on the green in two, yet bogey the hole
frown.gif
Or ugly drive, on a par four, yet one putt and get a par.

Consistency is what I lack.

bigasahouse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by UpperWestie
It is midnight on Weds and I am banging out 4 footers on the Dave Pelz Truth Board. This thing is fantastic.

Google'd that and it looks cool. But does it throw you off having your feet on a level surface and the ball on a tilted surface?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nootje
we all do...

that's golf.

Every time I swear I am giving up the game for good, I nail a drive, float a wedge up tight and coax a snaky putt in for a bird.

Then I have to go play again to try to find that rush...
plain.gif

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
fistbump.gif

bigstar[1].gif
cheers.gif

No, balls do get harder in cold weather, and you will lose distance because of it. Less spin and all that, otherwise your clubs shouldnt suffer during winter, unless they're the zink alloy inferior type of clubs..

Thanks for the input. This is sort of what I suspected. My clubs are all good quality, so I'm not too worried about issues due to that. I also carry my balls in my pocket, so I imagine that would mitigate the cold weather to some degree. A follow-up question: What types of temperatures are we talking about with cold weather affecting the play of the balls?

Consistency is what I lack.

Yep, I'm having the same problem. I can string together a couple of good holes that would have been great with a small adjustment, and then I'll hit a hole and completely come apart. The good news is that I have a short memory - the last hole's struggles don't tend to carry over to the next one.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
:

Thanks for the input. This is sort of what I suspected. My clubs are all good quality, so I'm not too worried about issues due to that. I also carry my balls in my pocket, so I imagine that would mitigate the cold weather to some degree. A follow-up question: What types of temperatures are we talking about with cold weather affecting the play of the balls?

Well, in celcius i'd say anything below 5 to ten degrees will be noticable. Ive played in sub zero conbditions (icegolf, great fun! ) and you will lose about 20% carry. Its actiually more of a gliding scale with influences from humidity, temperatures and location wrt Sea level.

Interesting fact, when Walter hagen tried to drive a golfbal across the thames he used a device to warm up his ball
smile.gif
these are now banned, but then again this was the thirties or so?

bbhewee

Reaction score
Well, in celcius i'd say anything below 5 to ten degrees will be noticable. Ive played in sub zero conbditions (icegolf, great fun! ) and you will lose about 20% carry. Its actiually more of a gliding scale with influences from humidity, temperatures and location wrt Sea level. Interesting fact, when Walter hagen tried to drive a golfbal across the thames he used a device to warm up his ball
smile.gif
these are now banned, but then again this was the thirties or so?

I played ice golf a couple of times, and don't even think about going for the concrete-hard greens, at the risk of seeing your ball bounce ten feet in the air and just go off the green... Fun though!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Practice, practice, practice. Actually hit three perfect drives in a row (range). It's a record.

We got 100 green Topflights off ebay. A big shagger from Golf Galaxy online. Spent a couple of hours chipping, pitching, sand bunker and putting this morning. Really going to work on the short game.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We got 100 green Topflights off ebay.

A playa like you uses RockFlites?
C'mon, Pio...

Buy a real golf ball.
plain.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
A playa like you uses RockFlites?
C'mon, Pio...

Buy a real golf ball.
plain.gif

I guess I wasn't clear. Got the 100 just for pitching/chipping/putting practice. That's why I also bought the big shag bag.

I play Srixion on the course.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You should practice with the same ball you play on the course, especially in the "touch" areas of the game: pitching, chipping, putting.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
You're no doubt correct however I'm going to stick with the plan at the moment. I am sure once I have basic technique mastered, the nuances will become more important.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're no doubt correct however I'm going to stick with the plan at the moment. I am sure once I have basic technique mastered, the nuances will become more important.

Yeah when you're working on your wedges from 20+ yards out I wouldn't worry so much about the balls, but once you get a bit closer I'd stick with what you normally play with. Short chips and putting feel is the main thing to be concerned with. A top flight practice isn't gonna check like a pro V.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads