• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lynch_king
wait wait what?!

how are you getting away with payin those prices?

pants $10-20
suits $20-40
shirts $8-15
shoes $20-90 ($90 for some AE's )
ties $5-8
outercoat $35

those are all the standard prices out here

Are you getting these prices from thrift stores or vintage stores? Ive seen these kind of prices at vintage stores, but generally the thrift stores like salvation army and value village have much lower prices.

lynch_king

Reaction score
salvation army, oh and watches are in the $30-50's depending on brand

i live in california so igues everything is a little more expensive here.

but yeah, i managed to pick up a hickey freeman suit in my size for $30 which is a deal considering they pull designer names out and attach "boutique prices" to it, which are damn near ridiculous sometimes.

Cotillion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by potemkin_city_limits
Are you getting these prices from thrift stores or vintage stores? Ive seen these kind of prices at vintage stores, but generally the thrift stores like salvation army and value village have much lower prices.

"Vintage" Store Prices around my area are more like:

pants $15-40
suits $29.99-200
shirts $12-25
shoes $30+ ($90+ for some)
ties $5-12
outercoat $100+

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lynch_king
salvation army, oh and watches are in the $30-50's depending on brand

i live in california so igues everything is a little more expensive here.

but yeah, i managed to pick up a hickey freeman suit in my size for $30 which is a deal considering they pull designer names out and attach "boutique prices" to it, which are damn near ridiculous sometimes.

OK. So there is significant price variation. We can not arrive at a standard. I say just mention the price and the hell with people who is bothered by whatever profit you make! We are mostly hobbyists, very few flippers on this particular board if any. For many of you the profits are chunk change, perhaps except the man of god in training but he gets help from above until he graduates :).
If you are shy, just say standard thrift price for your area:))

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by catside
OK. So there is significant price variation. We can not arrive at a standard. I say just mention the price and the hell with people who is bothered by whatever profit you make! We are mostly hobbyists, very few flippers on this particular board if any. For many of you the profits are chunk change, perhaps except the man of god in training but he gets help from above until he graduates :).
If you are shy, just say standard thrift price for your area:))

just post the prices - that's part of the find, and sell on B&S for whatever you want!

Xenos

Reaction score
Yesterday, over a period of about four hours:

Ties: 3 recent Zegna, 2 Armani, 1 Hilditch & Key and 1 vintage Leo Cerruti CXVIII, all like new, $6 each;

Shirts: 3 Brooks Brothers Slim Fits, 1 RLBL b&w check with french cuffs, 1 no-tag white french cuff shirt, very tailored fit, with thick MOP buttons, 1 RLPL olive corduroy, 1 RL western-style, 1 blue plaid Thomas Pink, 1 Richards tan linen, all in great condition, $6 each;

Blazer: silk, light mustard plaid Tom James custom(?) made in 2008 with double vents and working buttonholes, in perfect condition, $10;

Shoes: RM Williams boots, like new condition, $14.99.

All my size. Feel very lucky.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hit three stores, NADA.

Passed old and too big for me Dexter loafers marked genuine cordovan. Surprised as I did not know they made them, but also there were microcreases, not as much as I guess would be on a calf shoe but I thought you did not get microcreases with shell. Live and learn!

Temujin

Reaction score
I wouldn't post any kind of comparison prices, in case there are thrift store employees who monitor this web site and get crazy pricing ideas.
nest.gif

rayxlui

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Temujin
I wouldn't post any kind of comparison prices, in case there are thrift store employees who monitor this web site and get crazy pricing ideas.
nest.gif

+1. I've heard store managers talking about raising prices based on the internets. I'm assuming they checked this thread out.

rayxlui

Reaction score
Oh yeah. Picked up a pure cashmere Oxxford sports coat today.

Also two super nice dress shirts, a Zilli and Burini. Has anyone heard of them?

Also a pure cashmere Bullock's sweater.

All in my size. I think it was 12 bucks for all.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rayxlui
+1. I've heard store managers talking about raising prices based on the internets. I'm assuming they checked this thread out.
baldy[1].gif
Wow - amazing haul! Burini makes shirts for Brioni. Really nice stuff. I've never seen anything by Zilli in person, but they are a super-luxe label with astronomical prices. Must be damn nice stuff, though! Dress shirts in the $600-$700 area and suits around $8-10k and up, if I remember right.

Xenos

Reaction score
And passed up a few Pink and Turnbull & Asser shirts, dated Zegna ties, a pair of Church's loafers (not my size and the insole was destroyed, otherwise in good condition) and, unfortunately, a pair of Alden monkstraps.

The Aldens weren't my size, and were made for a Beverly Hills store but clearly labeled "By Alden". They were in good condition and were only $28. I'm not much of a flipper but checked eBay later and I could have made a nice profit. Went back this morning and, of course, they were gone. Live and learn.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Temujin
nest.gif

Everybody has access to internet and eBay. I have seen some Goodwills posting stuff at eBay.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah. Picked up a pure cashmere Oxxford sports coat today.

l.

Very good shirts. Zilli bought the Eugenio B label , who founded by one of the Burini brothers. The other, which goes by Burini, was bought by Brioni.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Came home empty handed today, but had some near misses: Pendleton navy blazer (a little too small), BB cotton sweater (didn't like the color) and a Loro Piana half zip pullover (not my size). Oh well.

Attachment 53807

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads