• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mismatching grey

rottencanadian

Reaction score
Greetings SF, I utilized the search function to no avail. I hope I'm not ridiculed for my querey but I fear I must ask it. A sweater one shade of grey, with another shade for the pants, acceptable or stupid?

Thanks.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kinda stupid. If you want to wear gray all over, wear a gray suit.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rottencanadian
Greetings SF, I utilized the search function to no avail. I hope I'm not ridiculed for my querey but I fear I must ask it. A sweater one shade of grey, with another shade for the pants, acceptable or stupid?

Thanks.

That was a great look for me at one time.

That time was 1972 through 1976 at Barnes Junior School. Throw in a grey shirt too and a red knitted tie. Gray socks and black Clarks shoes and you will definitely not lose any house points as long as you don't wipe your nose on your sleeve.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ he was hoping not to be ridiculed

countrygent

Reaction score
Charcoal trousers, light gray v-neck over a white shirt can look very sharp if properly fitted, imho.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EZETHATSME
Seriously, not "stupid" but pretty boring. Go with some color, my friend!

EZ

I would disagree. It's really depending on other accessories (tie, shoes, socks, shirt, etc.).

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Would it change anything if the pants in question were patterned?

I think so - might look good actually. I was rather quick to respond in my first answer, but Doc is right, it can look good if done right. Patterns would help give more visual interest.

EZ

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Okay, okay I take it back, Doc, Onix, Countrygent! I've seen the error of my ways (compounded by a bit of an alcohol fog...) I see that it can be done and look good!
bigstar[1].gif
EZ

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Would it change anything if the pants in question were patterned?

Much better idea. I'm slowly breaking my 'solid' rules and easing into the idea of more patterns. A bit of herringbone, houndstooth or prince of wales would make your combo much more interesting.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What are the chances i'll be torn apart if I post a pic of the outfit?
nest.gif

Can't make an omelette without cracking a few eggs so go for it matey, but just don't take any criticism on here too seriously. Take a look at some of the horrors on show in the WAWRN thread that the SF clique jizzes all over and you'll see how laughably deluded some of them/us are.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads