• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
No it is not, AE is just as good.

I think Renovateur is better, but not worth the price unless you're really anal about shoe care like I am.

Newstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Those things will all look wonderful. Literally every color is going to look great with charcoal gray trousers!

The problem is not the color, but the fabrics and fit. If they are super dressy gabardine trousers, it might look odd if you paried them with casual stuff like sweaters and peacoats. Likewise if they are double pleated or have very much break.

Ok, Cool! They are casual and have no pleats and little to no break.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tricky
Hope some of you can offer some insight into what blazer size I am.

I'm 6'1" about 190-195 with a 42" chest and a muscular build. From what I read online I'm thinking 42L - does that sound about right?

Thanks!

I am 6"2" and 190 with a 42 chest. I have been buying euro size 52R for the last few years. Most companies Regular cuts are long enough (+/- 32" from top of collar). I find that anything longer is too long and makes me look older.

The fashion is towards shorter jackets. I wouldn't suggest going too short but I would say you need to be closer to 6' 4" these days to wear a long. But it does vary by maker.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Renovateur is better, but not worth the price unless you're really anal about shoe care like I am.

I notice no difference,honestly,I prefer AE to Saphir. I don't get what all this hype is about, AE is just as good at probably 1/3 of the price. Also,I think both products will do a good job to maintain the shoes,if you have crappy shoes,Saphir won't help you.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by forex
I notice no difference,honestly,I prefer AE to Saphir. I don't get what all this hype is about, AE is just as good at probably 1/3 of the price. Also,I think both products will do a good job to maintain the shoes,if you have crappy shoes,Saphir won't help you.

I think I am with forex here, I personally don't see any difference. bleachboy, can be elaborate on the advantage of Renovateur?

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
Is Saphir Renovateur really that much better than AE clean/conditioner?

They are about the same. But I think there is a placebo effect where I think the Renovateur does its job better. I only use the AE conditioner on my AE shoes and use Saphir on my higher end ones.

Newstyle

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get a shawl collar pullover in a tan color and for around $100? I've looked at ralph lauren, j.crew, lands end canvas nobod has what I'm looking for. Ralph lauren does but its close to $200 and I can't spend that much on a sweater right now.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Have you checked out the Forum favorite Jos. A. Bank?

How about department stores like Macy?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newstyle
Does anyone know where I can get a shawl collar pullover in a tan color and for around $100? I've looked at ralph lauren, j.crew, lands end canvas nobod has what I'm looking for. Ralph lauren does but its close to $200 and I can't spend that much on a sweater right now.

I think I saw one at H&M, but it was with buttons though.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
I know this is BBBF, but would love to find something similar, just a little wider than 2.5". (Credit to gnatty whose picture I'm referencing)
bf29012798.jpg
Anyone?

rain_dog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newstyle

Something like this?

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/60859...haki%20Heather

Newstyle

Reaction score
^ That is exactly what I'm looking for, but that has elbow patches
ffffuuuu.gif
(I think my girlfriend would kill me if I bought that).

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score

Newstyle

Reaction score
^Cool, thank you for the sites. They still have the private sale but they didn't have what I was looking for under the sale.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads