• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Ancillotti

Reaction score
Interesting (again!), I've heard them described as being baggier, are you talking about the ones with the open box pleat and loop at the back?
What material were these?

On the subject of the Symarip LP cover, the lads are from Blackpool........just months after you left for the land of jungle greens.

Big Muscle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
If you can get a copy to me (sorry, I don't understand Polish download instructions) I can transcribe and explain some of the dialogue.
It's not Polish but Czech :p just open the link and there is big yellow button "Stáhnout". Click on it and enter text from near image into editbox in the middle part (just above another yellow button). Then press that yellow button. Download will begin
smile.gif

Ikouja

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Muscle
It's not Polish but Czech :p just open the link and there is big yellow button "Stáhnout". Click on it and enter text from near image into editbox in the middle part (just above another yellow button). Then press that yellow button. Download will begin
smile.gif

Ah, I guess I'm getting good at noticing my languages! I noticed right away it was Czech. I may have had an unfair advantage since I speak a bit of Polish though. :p

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ancillotti
Interesting (again!), I've heard them described as being baggier, are you talking about the ones with the open box pleat and loop at the back?
What material were these?

You are really taxing my memory. I don't recall that they were that much baggier, though maybe they were... hmmmm...

As I recall the back did have a box pleat and a loop, and the fabric was cotton.

Originally Posted by Ancillotti
On the subject of the Symarip LP cover, the lads are from Blackpool........just months after you left for the land of jungle greens.

Well one would have thought I would have recognised at least one of them from the old krew. One of their faces is slightly familiar, but I could be kidding myself. It makes sense that they are from the North of England, given the Levi jackets and the way they're wearing them.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
smile.gif

Kicking myself - I'm usually better than that at identifying languages, and I owned Czech motorbikes all the way through the late 70s too! I'll do penance by listening to five hours of Smetana.
laugh.gif

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
smile.gif

So far it has taken me about ten goes before it lets me stáhnout the damn thing!
frown.gif

Big Muscle

Reaction score
Since they changed the website style, it sometimes doesn't work :-/ but I believe you download it soon.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since they changed the website style, it sometimes doesn't work :-/ but I believe you download it soon.

See my private message to you - I have had to delete the file.
frown.gif

Ancillotti

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
A thought has come to me. When was it that Levis stopped being "shrink-to-fit"? There was a time in about '66 '67 when mods would buy a pair of Levis a size or two too big, then sit in the bath or wade in the sea with them. It coincided with a time when the wearing of belts went out of fashion with the mods. It occurs to me that it must have been about the same time that someone discovered that clip-on braces would make jeans hang better...

I was still buying shrink to fit Levis up untill about 1985, they didn't stop making them then, but Flip started to import second hand Levis with selvage again so we dumped buying new shrink to fit in order to get the selvage again. What a relief it was when LVC made shrink to fit and selvage an option again on the same pair! By which time, my old selvage Levis were looking very pale!
Pre shrunk Levis came out about '67-'68 but ran alongside shrink to fit, but as the pre shrunk became more popular the shrink to fit became harder and harder to find, by the mid eighties we would travel down to London to buy them because although there were a few boutiques up here in the North East that stocked them, they were 26 quid a pair and there was a bloke in a basement in Carnaby St sellin' 'em for £5.50, so even with the bus fair (with the Persil offer!) it was cheaper to get them in London.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ Ancillotti - we must have all been buying pre-shrunk, I guess. I just remember going into a shop and asking for "Levis"...

Ancillotti

Reaction score
I think that this was very much the case. At the time you just went in and asked for Levis, a Ben Sherman, Dr Martens, a Fred Perry etc. because these "iconic brands" were relavively new (in this country) at the time, as the decades rolled on they all went on to produce shite, by which time you had to specify Levis... but this type... Levis Sta-prest have been available in each decade since the sixties and normally in a similar material but the cut has differed with each incarnation.

Dent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I have a pair, they are actually pretty good. The only brand that is kinda off is Relco. The one pair I have I like, but it's pretty low quality compared to other ones.

funny, I was really into SxE HC as well during that time as well. There were a few skinheads in our group that hung out with some of the bands in our area like No For An Answer, Half Off, Hard Stance, Insted etc. I don't know if you remember Inside Out, Beyond and 108, but Vic from those bands recorded my oi band's demo back in 2004. I still listen to a lot of that youth crew stuff even today.

NFAA is in this video, I believe. I think this is the first time I've seen 80's NYHC skins not dressed like trashbags. Not entirely their fault, though, they didn't have the resources we've got now.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

I love this thread.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
^^ cant get the video to play but it might be the laptop i'm on right now, will check it tomorrow on a desktop

80s NYC skins were pretty sussed from what I remember and I have old videos of Anti Heros and The Press playing in 1989 and the skins in the crowd were all well geared up for the most part, i think it was the later incarnation when guys started to look "Madball" and began dressing like b-boys but calling themselves skinheads

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads