• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Also, it's easier, so there we go.

computerpro3

Reaction score
Speaking as a complete wine noob, I have a quick question. I received this as a birthday gift today from a very close friend (1988 is my birthday year, hence the vintage): http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/3893/imag0553.jpg http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/1769/imag0550.jpg Also, they gave me something called a "Vinturi Essential Wine Aerator." I haven't yet had the time to become knowledgeable about wine, but they left the impression that this was quite a decent bottle. Is this Vinturi thing actually worthwhile and appropriate to use on this wine or is it merely a gadget? Worse, will it damage the wine in any way? Also (and this might be a stupid question), it is important to drink this wine now or is it ok to save it for a special occasion? Will further aging affect it in anyway? What temperature should I drink this bottle at? Should I follow any decanting procedures to get the maximum flavor? Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by computerpro3
Speaking as a complete wine noob, I have a quick question. I received this as a birthday gift today from a very close friend (1988 is my birthday year, hence the vintage): http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/3893/imag0553.jpg http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/1769/imag0550.jpg Also, they gave me something called a "Vinturi Essential Wine Aerator." I haven't yet had the time to become knowledgeable about wine, but they left the impression that this was quite a decent bottle. Is this Vinturi thing actually worthwhile and appropriate to use on this wine or is it merely a gadget? Worse, will it damage the wine in any way? Also (and this might be a stupid question), it is important to drink this wine now or is it ok to save it for a special occasion? Will further aging affect it in anyway? What temperature should I drink this bottle at? Should I follow any decanting procedures to get the maximum flavor? Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.
First off, happy bday. That is indeed a nice bottle of wine. Very nice bottle of wine.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
It's a second growth from Bordeaux, and a nice one at that. Bordeaux is known for its ability to age, and this wine is no different story. 1988 is not an incredible year for Bordeaux, but it certainly isn't the loser year that my birth vintage was (87). This wine should still be drinking well and can last a few more years if you want it to. It would probably still drink great today as well. If you're going to age it, though, you may consider getting a wine fridge or asking a friend with one to hold it for you. For extended aging, it needs to be held at the right temperature. Also, drink it at around 60 degress farenheit, and I wouldn't decant it. You wouldn't want to throw off what little fruit there is remaining. The Aerator should certainly not be used for that wine. It is meant to get oxygen into a wine, so it makes more sense for wines that are young. It is basically meant to be used like a decanter in your glass. I've never used one myself, but I know that several wineries in California use them on the tasting room floor if they just opened a bottle that needs some air. They like them.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i had some mumm cuvee m with some langoustine ravioli. college student status

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
and I wouldn't decant it.

great poast. But just to clarify this point, you should not decant (or aerate) this wine, but you should use a decanter as a way to remove the sediment. There should be a good amount in this bottle, and there is nothing worse than a mouthful of sediment during that last sip.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
oh, and I might have some wine to poast about later, we're going out for dinner

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here are the Wine Spectator and Robert Parker comments on this wine: Wine Spectator (from 2008): CHÂTEAU PICHON-LONGUEVILLE-BARON Pauillac 1988 Score: 94 Release Price: $40 Current Auction Price: $141 Country: France Region: Bordeaux Issue: Web Only - 2009 Dark brick-red color, with a garnet edge. Aromas of dark chocolate, meat and currant. Full-bodied, with a solid core of ripe fruit and round tannins. Goes on and on. Very balanced, with a beautiful mouthfeel. Long life ahead. This has always been a serious wine.—'88/'98 Bordeaux blind retrospective (2008). Drink now. 14,000 cases made. –JS Robert Parker/Wine Advocate (from 1993): 1988 Pichon-Longueville Baron Pichon-Longueville Baron A Bordeaux Blend Dry Red Table wine from Pauillac, Bordeaux, France Score: 90 The 1988 Pichon-Baron promises to be one of the half-dozen superstars of the Medoc in that vintage. While it may not rival the 1989, its significantly lower price makes it a wine that should appeal to those who want an excellent bargain in a great Pauillac from a good vintage. Surprisingly large-scaled for a 1988, it is deep in color, rich, tannic, and medium to full-bodied. When mature, it may resemble the successful 1966 (similar texture, weight, and character). Anticipated maturity: 1995-2008. Last tasted, 5/93.

computerpro3

Reaction score
Outstanding, thanks all for the help. I'll decant to remove the sediment, be careful opening the cork, and will enjoy it with good company!

Off topic, if I'm just getting started on what I suspect will be a long journey into discovering wine, is there a default "bible", so to speak, that I should pick up and read? Something educational about the art of winemaking, types of grapes and wines, etc, etc?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Going to do a simple pasta with spicy Italian Sausage and green bell peppers in a marinara-type sauce for dinner. Wine suggestions?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Outstanding, thanks all for the help. I'll decant to remove the sediment, be careful opening the cork, and will enjoy it with good company!

Off topic, if I'm just getting started on what I suspect will be a long journey into discovering wine, is there a default "bible", so to speak, that I should pick up and read? Something educational about the art of winemaking, types of grapes and wines, etc, etc?

karen macneil's wine bible (love her writing and descriptions)
wine atlas
jancis robinson's oxford companion to wines (or something like that)

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

Sotheby's Wine Encyclopedia. Can't beat it. Although be forewarned, that book can get very very VERRRY in depth. It can bombard you at times with more knowledge than you might necessarily be looking for, but the answer to any question you could possibly have is in that book somewhere.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Going to do a simple pasta with spicy Italian Sausage and green bell peppers in a marinara-type sauce for dinner. Wine suggestions?

an Italian! I like me a Dolcetto or a Barbera with sausage and pasta.

Originally Posted by indesertum
karen macneil's wine bible (love her writing and descriptions)
wine atlas
jancis robinson's oxford companion to wines (or something like that)

I like all of these and read from the Wine Atlas quite frequently.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
an Italian! I like me a Dolcetto or a Barbera with sausage and pasta.
The only Eye-Ties I have in the house are a 2001 Barolo (Fontanafredda) a Muscato d'Asti (probably not) and a Prosecco (which I'm having right now in a Kir Royale). All of my other Eye-Tie reds are in storage, but are all Barolos and Brunellos.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Sotheby's Wine Encyclopedia. Can't beat it. Although be forewarned, that book can get very very VERRRY in depth. It can bombard you at times with more knowledge than you might necessarily be looking for, but the answer to any question you could possibly have is in that book somewhere.

sounds like my kinda book

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads