• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I think I might actually be wined out.

I hope this is not a permanent situation.
frown.gif

Tell me about it, I've been spending my time in the beer thread. Hope to get back into it soon.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Felt that, too, a couple of weeks ago, but I think I shook it off! Back at it since last week.

2008 Cadoulet de Beaucastel last night. Still wonderful, but not quite as fresh and beautiful as the 2007. And a bottle of Moet, which I always enjoy.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, feeling a little better. Recovering enough to head out for dinner at least and am thinking of wine pairing with my duck leg confit on Saturday. Crisp, mineral white? Sound good?
As our talisman, you must get back on the horse. Please. ...and Johnny, come back soon.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had another 07 Dumol RRV chardonnay last night. Really enjoying this white for before dinner; guests enjoyed it too.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
2008 Cadoulet de Beaucastel last night. Still wonderful, but not quite as fresh and beautiful as the 2007. And a bottle of Moet, which I always enjoy.

07 seems to be the very best for the southern Rhone these days, and Coudoulet is just the right price too.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tattersall
Had another 07 Dumol RRV chardonnay last night. Really enjoying this white for before dinner; guests enjoyed it too.

I've never had a DuMol white. What is it like stylistically?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Okay, feeling a little better. Recovering enough to head out for dinner at least and am thinking of wine pairing with my duck leg confit on Saturday. Crisp, mineral white? Sound good?

Originally Posted by gomestar
I like me rhone reds with duck

I had duck confit last week at a place here and had a Pinot with it. Quite nice.

07 seems to be the very best for the southern Rhone these days, and Coudoulet is just the right price too.

'07 Coudoulet
inlove.gif

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Question for Kwilk or others who may know: When a higher-end restaurant cooks with wine, what level of wine do they use? My guess is that it's probably a bit better than two-buck-chuck but a bit below Chateau Latour. I once heard that you should use the same wine you plan on drinking, but there has to be an upper limit there?

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I've never had a DuMol white. What is it like stylistically?

I don't pretend to be a CA authority, but I've had a fair bit of typical cali chardonnays like Cakebread. I find Dumol to be less oaky but still with a buttery taste that makes it more appropriate for drinking without a meal. I'd say it is on the low side of minerality that you'd expect in a burgundian white.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Question for Kwilk or others who may know: When a higher-end restaurant cooks with wine, what level of wine do they use? My guess is that it's probably a bit better than two-buck-chuck but a bit below Chateau Latour. I once heard that you should use the same wine you plan on drinking, but there has to be an upper limit there?

The tongue-in-cheek recipe for coq au vin is one bottle of Chambertin in the pot and two on the table which of course is insane. When I cook with wine, I simply try to match the style of the wine with what I'll be drinking at the table. So, new world pinot or inexpensive vin de pays from bourgogne in the pot, and something better on the table.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

Usually an "okay" pinot. It's not two buck chuck, but usually less than $15 a bottle. At Cyrus I remember using the latest vintage of Georges DuBoeuf Pinot, which was like $8 a bottle I think, but surprisingly drinkable for what you would think. For whites, we'd use Vendange Sauvignon Blanc, which was similarly priced.
Although that's for cooking like marinades braises and whatnot. If you're doing something like a red wine emulsion, or a port sauce or sherry jelly or something, you're going to use a higher end product because you want the deeper and more complex flavors.

I don't pretend to be a CA authority, but I've had a fair bit of typical cali chardonnays like Cakebread. I find Dumol to be less oaky but still with a buttery taste that makes it more appropriate for drinking without a meal. I'd say it is on the low side of minerality that you'd expect in a burgundian white.

Interesting. Thanks.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
As our talisman, you must get back on the horse. Please.

...and Johnny, come back soon.

fistbump.gif

I had duck confit last week at a place here and had a Pinot with it. Quite nice.

Agreed, as that's what I usually have with it, both out to dine and when I make it at home. Thought I'd try something a little different. Have decided on a Booker Grenache.

Last night, had a nice 2007 Freiherr Langwerth von Simmern Eltviller Sonnenberg Riesling. Mrs. Piob felt like cooking so she made a thin crust pizza with some various grains that are low glycemic. Was very good crust and she topped it with some freshly made mozz a little eye-tie store sells, with some garlic, roasted chicken breast cubes, and fresh basil leaves from our herb garden.
inlove.gif

K-dub, if you read this before dinner, what would you think of a beurre blanc sauce over roasted Brussels's sprouts? The sprouts are happening, just wondering about the sauce. Or, thinking of coating them in a little duck fat, S&P, bake off.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Sauteed mushrooms, duck leg confit, the sprouts. A powerful, Rhone style Grenache to drink (from my new friend
smile.gif
)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads