• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
George hamiltons knuckle under a magnifying glass?

Originally Posted by jasonfoote303
NoOoOoO PeNNNNN
whiskeyRipples2.jpg

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phantomx48
Sounds like they make it pretty difficult to do an Alden MTO. . . no wonder I haven't read much about it. Wonder if anyone on here has attempted this before?

I've done this through the Alden NYC store. Went very smoothly actually- the main limitations are no cordos other than #8 or black.

number9dream

Reaction score
Got my 20% coupon from J Crew and now I'm going to either buy a pair of Indys or those beautiful Cap-Toe Cordovan boots. Which should I go for?

phantomx48

Reaction score
Cap Toe for sure! 1. the cordovan is more rare 2.you will save more money when using the coupon 3. Indy's are always showing up on eBay for the same price as with the coupon 4-10. IT'S CORDOVAN
(yes, I did just buy the cap toe so I might be a bit biased, but they are just so gorgeous)

number9dream

Reaction score
You're right. Cordovan it is!

At first my coupon wouldn't work, but I must've been doing something wrong, because the order went through with like $120 off. Good deal!

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghdvfddzgzdzg
no one commented on this? Jesus, I never cared about whiskey leather until this picture. that color kills.

thank you
it looks better in person

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
You're wearing my Christmas present from my wife!

nephew,
your wife has very good taste. you will very pleased

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
dm61qh.jpg

cigar utip

Magic1

Reaction score
The v-tip is very nice IMO. LS did it a two-color version with black and cigar and that was very nice. Hopefully they will do that again, maybe in boot form? Please.

enigma77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PeterParker
I've done the pen trick on my LS Jumpers and shell Indy's. The Jumpers have creased evenly along my toes. The captoe probably affected how they creased too. I can't comment on how they would have turned out without the pen trick, but I'm very happy with how they've worn in. While I did the same trick on the Indy's they haven't creased as evenly. The mocc toe stitching (with the thicker handstitch too) likely influenced how they creased, moreso than the pen trick. Here are the Jumpers: http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/8232/img2989levelled.jpg[IMG] I would certainly do the pen trick on a pair of PTB's. While the creasing won't be as noticeable on a pair of wingtips, I would still used the pen trick. I'll also state the obvious that a proper fit is going to influence the creasing more than anything, so make sure you buy the right size. Nice choice in the ravelllo wingtip boots. How I covet a pair of ravello shell shoes/boots...[/I]
Thanks for all of this and the photo. I'm a 10D in Trubalance. Tried the 10D and 9.5D in the Ravello wingtip boots (Barrie) and the 10D felt great, so I went for that. I know in general Trubalance = Barrie but since these are shells I wanted to make sure that I didn't need to size down. 9.5D felt very uncomfortable, especially across the top of my foot. Also interesting: the Ravello that has been coming out of Horween/Alden recently is slightly darker than it has been in the past. This isn't just Epaulet -- tried the Ravello NST boots from Shoemart and the Ravello was also slightly darker. A really welcome change I think.

samuels

Reaction score
Originally Posted by number9dream
Got my 20% coupon from J Crew and now I'm going to either buy a pair of Indys or those beautiful Cap-Toe Cordovan boots. Which should I go for?

If anyone has one of those 20% coupons from J Crew and won't be using it, please pm it to me. I would appreciate it. Thanks.

number9dream

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enigma77
Also interesting: the Ravello that has been coming out of Horween/Alden recently is slightly darker than it has been in the past. This isn't just Epaulet -- tried the Ravello NST boots from Shoemart and the Ravello was also slightly darker. A really welcome change I think.

I definitely agree that Shoemart's recent run of Ravello NSTs was much darker than expected. Someone even commented that my NSTs resembled Cigar. To me, it looks like a shell version of the color Allen Edmonds color calls "chili." They are beautiful now, but I wonder whether they will darken further as a patina develops with age (like whiskey) or whether they will take on a lighter shade (like color 8 and cigar). Only time will tell, I guess!

Thor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enigma77

Also interesting: the Ravello that has been coming out of Horween/Alden recently is slightly darker than it has been in the past. This isn't just Epaulet -- tried the Ravello NST boots from Shoemart and the Ravello was also slightly darker. A really welcome change I think.

I thought it was just me...I kept seeing this pics of new Ravello...and then going back and looking at my 6 mos old WingTip boots from SMart and was like- whats the deal?...was sorta hoping I was just imagining it as I like the darker better...

Oh well...they are still beautiful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads