• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peacoat
As I said, Sterlingwear makes a good civilian peacoat. The peacoat you are thinking of buying will be there next week or next month. It isn't so cold yet that you have to do something tomorrow. First read my research so you will have an idea of what is what. Then take a look at:

http://www.vintagetrends.com/militar...=Navy+Pea+Coat

This is an alternative to ebay. It is an especially good source for the uninitiated. Then, next week, or next month, after you have studied things a bit, make a decision. I will say that I have had several Sterlingwear peacoats. Both civilian versions and the current issue versions. I have also spent several years researching and writing about peacoats. Plus, I have owned around 35 to 40 peacoats, mostly vintage issue models. For me there is no comparison between current issue and the vintage issue peacoats. The civilian Sterlingwear doesn't come close to either of the issue versions. But that is just my opinion. Others may see things differently.

Your location can complicate matters as you are in the UK. Duty will be a factor. If you were in Greenwich Village instead of Greenwich (section of) London, it would be simpler.

As I remember from my time in London, the wind isn't much of a factor, but the rain can be steady, and in the Winter it is quite the business (as in a bad way). You will want a peacoat that can repel the rain.

Good luck in your quest. I will be glad to help however I can.

Thank you!!!

So the following would be 32 oz. Kersey wool, trim fit true to size, etc (in general, a good buy?):

Easter

Reaction score
Hey peacoat, what can you tell me about the military issue imitation civilian peacoat in that link? Is it wool blend? Crap at being thick and warm? Gonna fall apart in the rain?

Peacoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
Thank you!!!

So the following would be 32 oz. Kersey wool, trim fit true to size, etc (in general, a good buy?):

Yes, it is the 32 oz. Kersey wool. The tag says Melton, but the Navy didn't go to the Melton until 1980, so this coat will be made of the "good" wool. It is a 1972 model, should be a trim fit, and should fit to size. Ask the seller for an actual armpit to armpit measurement. I would expect a size 38 to measure about 40" across the chest. Read my article on peacoats. At the end there is a section on fitting of military peacoats. It should answer all of your questions on fit. This coat is listed as excellent condition, so I would expect it to be good value for the money.

Originally Posted by Easter
Hey peacoat, what can you tell me about the military issue imitation civilian peacoat in that link? Is it wool blend? Crap at being thick and warm? Gonna fall apart in the rain?

I only saw one coat in the link. Tonight I can go back and find the coat you are asking about, or you can send a link.

VictorC

Reaction score
Peacoat,
YOu know the vintage trends site you gave me, all of those are second hand then and have seen service.
Im spoilt for choice there. Im 5ft9 and 154lb what size coat would you recomend i go for? I like it fitted, but comfortable and id wear a sweater underneath. The 36 or 38 regular. I know its asking a lot but can you pick one out for me thats reasonably priced in navy.
Thankyou.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Promo code 'LOVE' gets you 10% off. I went ahead and took a gamble on a 70's coat (instead of ordering a new sterlingwear). Unfortunately their return policy is store credit only so you may see it in B&S if the chest is too tight. EDIT: my order just shipped...gotta say that 12 minutes between order confirmation email and order shipped (with tracking number) email is pretty damn good

bombers

Reaction score
Lol nice. Thanks for the code, I might also jump on one. It's worth a try for under 75 bucks.

Peacoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VictorC
Peacoat,
YOu know the vintage trends site you gave me, all of those are second hand then and have seen service.
Im spoilt for choice there. Im 5ft9 and 154lb what size coat would you recomend i go for? I like it fitted, but comfortable and id wear a sweater underneath. The 36 or 38 regular. I know its asking a lot but can you pick one out for me thats reasonably priced in navy.
Thankyou.

The first thing you need to do is read the article on dating the peacoats, or at least read the section on the last page than explains about proper fitting of the vintage peacoat. Then when you have an idea of what you are looking for I will be glad to answer any questions.

Basically your chest size = your suit size. This is also the size peacoat you need in the vintage models. And that should allow for a sweater underneath. But read the section on sizing as there are some hints and tips there that may eliminate sizing errors.

The link below will take you to the article:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showt...PEACOAT-DATING

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Basically your chest size = your suit size. This is also the size peacoat you need in the vintage models. And that should allow for a sweater underneath. But read the section on sizing as there are some hints and tips there that may eliminate sizing errors.

Hopefully mine works

I went with what that site claimed to be a 40L but my suit size ranges from 40-42 depending on the maker (I have one of each 40, 41, 42 and they don't even really fit large/small in that order...same deal with odd jackets)

With sterlingwear's new stuff, I was getting ready to order both a 38 and a 40 (and then return whatever is worse) since everyone here was saying to go smaller (original plan was to go 40 and 42)

Peacoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Easter
Sorry it's this one http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showt...PEACOAT-DATING

OK, I understand now. You were referring to the phony label in my article. I would expect the coat to wear just about the same as most of the civilian peacoats. Won't be as warm as an issue peacoat, but if you aren't way up north, it might do OK. Doubt that it will fall apart during the first year or so. May even wear well for years. Don't worry about it; just wear it and see how it works for you.

AlbertCamus

Reaction score
I would expect a size 38 to measure about 40" across the chest. Read my article on peacoats. At the end there is a section on fitting of military peacoats.

As far as I understand SF this means "size down at least 2 inches". The fact that purchasing true to chest would allow an individual who has "lost the athletic build of youth" further implies to me that the vast majority of SF members would not be best served purchasing a vintage coat as it would not help them to achieve the fit they are after.

Or am I wrong?

Peacoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlbertCamus
As far as I understand SF this means "size down at least 2 inches". The fact that purchasing true to chest would allow an individual who has "lost the athletic build of youth" further implies to me that the vast majority of SF members would not be best served purchasing a vintage coat as it would not help them to achieve the fit they are after.

Or am I wrong?

Not sure what you mean. Having read the article on sizing you know that the exterior measurement of a peacoat, from armpit to armpit will measure about 2" more than the true chest size. This is because of the thickness of the material.

Issue peacoats are designed for young men* who are physically fit. They are designed to be a trim fit without binding. They are also designed to fit a wide range of body shapes and arm lengths--just as civilian garments are designed. But unlike civilian garments, peacoat design envisions a physically fit young man. So, the fit on a military peacoat will be of a slimmer fit than a peacoat designed for the civilian market--Sterlingwear, Schott, Fidelity, etc.

I am 6' 185 lbs. with a chest measurement just under 42" and a waist of 34". A size 42 vintage peacoat is a good fit for me, with room underneath for a sweater. A size 40 is a trimmer fit, and there is no binding. It is a little too trim for me to wear a sweater under it, however. I can wear a sweater, but for me it isn't as comfortable as I would like. Probably because I like a looser fit in my outerwear.

If one is looking for a fit close to the body, it might be best to go one size down. Might be a little tight with a sweater, but it could still be done--based on my experience. If one has grown too much in the middle, and "lost the athletic build of youth," might be better to go one size up.

Hope I have answered your question.

_______
*Of course today's Navy has female sailors, but my discussion, of necessity, doesn't include that category.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads