• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Serious question that's going to make you all angry.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Money can’t buy friends, but you can get a better class of enemy.

Spike Milligan, of all people

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I reserve my contempt for those people who truly deserve it...

The Canadian guy was an idiot anyway...

We're not angry enough tonight...

meok

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that a $1400 pair of Lobbs isn't demonstrably better than a $200 pair of AEs. I'm just saying it isn't 7-times better.
Why do such x-times comparisons matter? I don't ask if the $20 box of prophylactics are 4 times better than the $5. I ask rather if the difference in quality is worth $15, Sure that 97%->98% perceived improvement in protection isn't four times better (per the price ratio) but it may still be worth paying $15 dollars for (per the price difference).

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
The Canadian guy was an idiot anyway...

We're not angry enough tonight...

I was more amused than angered by Mr Fat Cat Canadian's absurd points of view.

fatcatpictures001.jpg

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Avocat
We don't have a tea party in Canada, ... or Sarah Palins either, thanks.

Yes, but if Sarah gets on her roof and stands on her toes... guess what she can see?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by well-kept
Yes, but if Sarah gets on her roof and stands on her toes... guess what she can see?
Glenda the Good Witch of the North.

She claims it's Russia. Now I know that's possible from some points in Alaska ... but one is more likely to see ... well ... your point is taken.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only idiots buy the most expensive.

The wise only pay what they think it is worth.

Quality is an obvious difference, at least to me. My Tricker's, EG, Alden, GG, JL feel better than my Allen Edmond.

Those shoes have the quality that I appreciate. They happen to be more expensive. I didn't buy them because they are expensive. The price is correlation it is not a causation.

I also have Gucci-s too because they have a more modern style for street wear. Again Price is just a correlation and not causation.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesX

Quality is an obvious difference, at least to me. My Tricker's, EG, Alden, GG, JL feel better than my Allen Edmond.

Those shoes have the quality that I appreciate. They happen to be more expensive. I didn't buy them because they are expensive. The price is correlation it is not a causation.

I also have Gucci-s too because they have a more modern style for street wear. Again Price is just a correlation and not causation.

Correlation to what? What you think they're worth? Well, that's pretty obvious unless you ONLY use money to judge what to buy with no regards to styling or even coherence between pieces.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesX

Pardonez-mois?

I think your comment has convinced me to pay more than an item is worth ... to ensure that idiots like you don't have one just like it.

ALFAMALE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RogerC
Bring it down to calculation. In European money:
1 pair of C&J: €500
cost per resoling: €65 (at least, at my cobbler)
over 15 years, assuming you resole every three years: €825

1 pair of standard department shoes: €100
Lifetime: 1 year
over 15 years: €1500

And this is before we start talking about the environment, animal health & welfare (the leather, y'know), etc.

+1

Avocat

Reaction score
What Palin sees from her rooftop is AMERICA -- though she and her family do come to Canada for the healthcare. SO... wrong address, Lasbar. Uh, we have social welfare and healthcare up here-and all those taxes to go with it. That Cat looks like WC Fields (give it a top hat, I think). Oh, one last thing about Canada ... we sure can dance, and on Ice too -- Can you Americans do that? Well, can you? Mama Britain can, but can you Americans do that? Uh ..... NO. Then, we are the first nation of hockey, not you .... (and Palin's a good source of amusement for the whole world, Lasbar: still yours!!)

Avocat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I reserve my contempt for those people who truly deserve it...
One comment, and only one: the only thing you said that is right is that I WAS/AM born into it; you can masquerade around as a turtle ninja comic character (or is that world of warcraft (WOW) PAWNZ all you like; mental illness or drugs, or don't care what. Take your little circus act / hiding behind the avatars to your own fantasy world ...., contempt? Stop mistaking me for someone who gives an iota for anything you have to say, at all. No need for us to correspond, or discuss anything at any time, at all. On that-and only that-we are agreed. tl/DR: this idiot/wanna be Japanese Shuriken/comic book ninja can show him/herself to the door, and trust it won't let it hit him/herself on the way out. DO NOT ever speak to me again, or ever. AS FOR EVERYONE ELSE: Now, as a British born CDN, when a bunch of Americans are all riled up, heh, last time was 1776, right? On that, I know better ... see you in the Olympics, 2014, and in fine sporting fashion wish you luck in the rematch
wink.gif

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel that it is always more preferable to buy something made by someone who is skilled in his craft and takes pride in what he does -- then your purchase adds value to their life.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Avocat
One comment, and only one:

the only thing you said that is right is that I WAS/AM born into it; you can masquerade around as a turtle ninja comic character (or is that world of warcraft (WOW) PAWNZ all you like; mental illness or drugs, or don't care what. Take your little circus act / hiding behind the avatars to your own fantasy world ...., contempt?

Stop mistaking me for someone who gives an iota for anything you have to say, at all. No need for us to correspond, or discuss anything at any time, at all. On that-and only that-we are agreed.

tl/DR: this idiot/wanna be Japanese Shuriken/comic book ninja can show him/herself to the door, and trust it won't let it hit him/herself on the way out. DO NOT ever speak to me again, or ever.

AS FOR EVERYONE ELSE:
Now, as a British born CDN, when a bunch of Americans are all riled up, heh, last time was 1776, right? On that, I know better ... see you in the Olympics, 2014, and in fine sporting fashion wish you luck in the rematch
wink.gif

Huh?

This guy has got to be trolling/sockpupetting or huffing solvents, possibly a combination of the two. I guess I can spot them in the early stage, I assume most will agree with me now that he went into full-on crazy mode.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads