• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Temujin

Reaction score
Went to my fav GW rather late today, deciding ahead of time to look only at the shoes, not the shirts or suits, as I was in a hurry. Found a pair of Dr. Martens/England sz 9. Saw the empty rolling suit rack, indicating that new stuff had just been put out and couldn't resist looking through the suits. 'Bout half way down I found the first Oxxford suit with Oxxford hanger. Then another, then a SC, then another SC. Ended up walking out with 2 suits and 4 SC......AND she let me keep all 6 Oxxford hangers! All my size! Even the pants will not need altering. All are center vented.

Also found a pair of Justin leather work boots for me. Need one string it must be 4 feet long!

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
gentlemen i seek your infinite wisdom,are these Florsheim imperials shell or not?
(very heavy shoes,toungue is thick... after all these years i still cant tell unless its stamped on the sole,what do you guys think?)

Not the good vintage ones. Those are a more modern version- that heel style, with the florshiem across it, and the sock liner with the fabric tag glued in are giveaways. The real ones will have an exposed leather insole with a stamped piece of leather covering the back.

As for the leather, it's not shell.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found this the other day and snapped a cellphone pic to share, prompted by all the Dior discussion above - I hope this is quite illustrative of why you should never trust a designer label just by itself!

IMG_20101110_132133.jpg

Cotillion

Reaction score
Stopped into 2 shops today since there are sales for Veterans Day. Was not too optimistic since it was late and people have been picking over items all day but amid the announcements of "Mr/Mrs. X your child is waiting at the front" I came away with a few nice items.
2x Zegna sport button-ups in pristine condition.
1x Thomas Pink shirt which might be too big for me and may end up in friend's closet
and the find of the day a Brioni sports coat in excellent condition.
I was happily surprised to find these items and with the sales today the haul only cost $15 or so.

I do notice that thrift prices are going up. I found one decent condition Mani by Armani suit but pricing was $99 ! I wouldn't have purchased if it was 29.99 like all the other suits but it made me go 0.o
There was a good condition Hickey Freeman for 29.99 but also not my size sadly.
At least they are not quite on the ball as to which items to price high.

lynch_king

Reaction score
sweet i finally have something worth keeping yeah its for me to wear , yeah its a lot less crazy in real life its hard to capture with a crappy camera. the label looks exactly like this:
p1011290ek6.jpg

CasmirRadon

Reaction score
First store I visited today I grabbed a Golden Fleece navy blazer (really dark, almost black), single button front, center vented. Sadly a 43R. Here I thought it was to be another day of nothing for me, when at the next store I found a Aquascutum navy blazer that fits! Trust me, it's not easy finding a jacket that fits when you are a trim 36R.

Coal_Mining_Polak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CasmirRadon
First store I visited today I grabbed a Golden Fleece navy blazer (really dark, almost black), single button front, center vented. Sadly a 43R. Here I thought it was to be another day of nothing for me, when at the next store I found a Aquascutum navy blazer that fits! Trust me, it's not easy finding a jacket that fits when you are a trim 36R.
Amen brother and congrats - size 36 navy blazers don't seem to exist. It took me years to find one!

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
those might be the mot deceptive non-shell shoes I've seen.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found an odd odd jacket the other day.

It's basically a 3B sack in a windowpane plaid, from the mid fifties, "individually tailored" for someone. The two widely spaced cuff buttons are functional. Details suggest American make.

What distinguishes it are the flapped breast pockets. One on each hip, and one on each breast.

Pattern matching is very good.

The only other coat of mine with symmetrical breast pockets is a 1970s cocaine cowboy Brioni.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vintage Pringle of Scotland 100% cashmere cardigan, size 42, baby blue: $6. A little too small, but I couldn't leave it. Soon to go on B&S forum.

Attachment 53808

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Salvation Army near my house is having a $2 sale on dress pants and I ended up finding a pair of brand new Banana Republic dress pants with the tags still on them as well as a nice Battistoni tie all for a grand total of $4 with tax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics