• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

enigma77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by benjamin831
Brown Chromexcel boot Norwegian sewn toe 50/50 metal eyelets and speed-hooks Flat waxed laces Heel tab Double leather sole Close-heel welt Natural sole edge Leydon last Dream boot
drool.gif
You hear me LeatherSoul?!

Sounds like the Tanker. Leather Soul did a boot pretty similar to this. http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/201...oots-in-stock/ Also in black: http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=1006

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enigma77
Any other tips/tricks people would recommend for a new pair of shells?

Besides putting like 20 coats of snoseal on them obviously.

Seriously I have a new pair of Ravello boots (from Epaulet) and have not worn them yet. Any recommendations before wearing? Just the pen trick?

nice choice!

I wouldn't do anything other than wear them!
(a lot!)

Tom can chime in, but I think the pen trick is more suited for plain toe make ups.

enigma77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonfoote303
nice choice! I wouldn't do anything other than wear them! (a lot!) Tom can chime in, but I think the pen trick is more suited for plain toe make ups.
OK yeah would appreciate hearing about that. When I broke in my black shell full wings (ShoeMart's link is here but I bought them at the Alden Shop in NYC) I didn't use the pen trick. Their creases are angled, and are, perhpas, slightly misaligned... Could post pics later tonight. Tom, or anyone -- thoughts? The boot I'm breaking in is this Ravello wingtip high boot from Epaulet. Needless to say they are stunning in person. EDIT: Also, the Tremont last? WTF? I wear a 10D Trubalance and 10D Barrie. The guy sized me in a Tremont as 8.5D, and he was totally right; they're pretty comfortable. Has this been others' experience? Just curious. I've never seen that last anywhere but those wingtips.

jasonfoote303

Reaction score

In regards to the Sno-seal experiment that somebody is doing to their Wolverine cordovan boots:

My contact at Alden who reads my blog wanted me to inform the readers that Alden would not recommend this treatment to their shell cordovan shoes or boots. Even though it is Horween shell, Alden applies a different finish to their cordovan which is different than any other brand. Using Sno-seal or anything that is not paste wax could draw the natural vegetable oils from the skin, weakening the tannage over time.

He states: "My main concern is any comparison of Alden Shell Cordovan to others. We are the largest manufacturer of genuine Shell Cordovan shoes in the world and have been for over 50 years and perhaps longer. Shell cordovan is not a "flavor of the month" to us and naturally we would not want an "experiment" to reflect negatively on a material we value so highly".

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK yeah would appreciate hearing about that.

When I broke in my black shell full wings (ShoeMart's link is here but I bought them at the Alden Shop in NYC) I didn't use the pen trick. Their creases are angled, and are, perhpas, slightly misaligned... Could post pics later tonight.

I've used the pen trick and not used the pen trick. I know Tom will disagree with me, but I don't find it very helpful. The particular shell determines the way it will crease far more than using a pen can influence. It doesn't hurt to give it a try, but you shouldn't worry that you did something "wrong" if you don't do it.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acularw
I took too long trying to decide on buying the Epaulet natural chromexcel longwings and now they are out of my size (9.5D). I love the combination of this color on a shoe/boot with wingtip/longwing/etc type styling.

Are there any other shops with boots or shoes in this natural chromexcel? I know Shoe Mart has some but none of them are really what I am looking for...

Tom said they'd be doing a longwing with crepe sole soon.

enigma77

Reaction score
In regards to the Sno-seal experiment that somebody is doing to their Wolverine cordovan boots:

My contact at Alden who reads my blog wanted me to inform the readers that Alden would not recommend this treatment to their shell cordovan shoes or boots. Even though it is Horween shell, Alden applies a different finish to their cordovan which is different than any other brand. Using Sno-seal or anything that is not paste wax could draw the natural vegetable oils from the skin, weakening the tannage over time.

He states: "My main concern is any comparison of Alden Shell Cordovan to others. We are the largest manufacturer of genuine Shell Cordovan shoes in the world and have been for over 50 years and perhaps longer. Shell cordovan is not a "flavor of the month" to us and naturally we would not want an "experiment" to reflect negatively on a material we value so highly".

Yeah, I was being sarcastic. Under no circumstances would I Sno-seal shell cordovan. I actually wouldn't put Sno-seal on really anything except maybe Katahdins. I use Montana Pitch-Blend on Chromexcel and rougher leathers, and that works plenty fine. I wouldn't use really anything on shell cordovan except Renovateur. I use black wax polish on my black shells every now and then, but rare shells don't need polish the way black or color 8 do.

Originally Posted by Joenobody0
I've used the pen trick and not used the pen trick. I know Tom will disagree with me, but I don't find it very helpful. The particular shell determines the way it will crease far more than using a pen can influence. It doesn't hurt to give it a try, but you shouldn't worry that you did something "wrong" if you don't do it.

OK, interesting. Did doing it have any detrimental effect? It sounds like if for some it works and for some it doesn't do anything, then I might as well try it.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mcarthur
52e7fc.jpg

whiskey nst

no one commented on this? Jesus, I never cared about whiskey leather until this picture. that color kills.

tlieu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghdvfddzgzdzg
no one commented on this? Jesus, I never cared about whiskey leather until this picture. that color kills.

I own a pair of Longwing Whiskey and have noticed that people should start posting true colors of their cordovans. Those smart phone pics are misleading. Even some of those retail pics are off.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, interesting. Did doing it have any detrimental effect? It sounds like if for some it works and for some it doesn't do anything, then I might as well try it.

No detrimental effect. I'd say the effect ranges from "nothing" to "very marginal benefit" from my experience doing it a bunch of different shoes. Give it a shot.

PeterParker

Reaction score
I've done the pen trick on my LS Jumpers and shell Indy's. The Jumpers have creased evenly along my toes. The captoe probably affected how they creased too. I can't comment on how they would have turned out without the pen trick, but I'm very happy with how they've worn in. While I did the same trick on the Indy's they haven't creased as evenly. The mocc toe stitching (with the thicker handstitch too) likely influenced how they creased, moreso than the pen trick. Here are the Jumpers:
img2989levelled.jpg
I would certainly do the pen trick on a pair of PTB's. While the creasing won't be as noticeable on a pair of wingtips, I would still used the pen trick. I'll also state the obvious that a proper fit is going to influence the creasing more than anything, so make sure you buy the right size. Nice choice in the ravelllo wingtip boots. How I covet a pair of ravello shell shoes/boots...

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seriously I have a new pair of Ravello boots (from Epaulet) and have not worn them yet. Any recommendations before wearing? Just the pen trick?

I don't do anything to my shoes, just wear straight from the box.

Originally Posted by benjamin831
Brown Chromexcel boot
Norwegian sewn toe
50/50 metal eyelets and speed-hooks
Flat waxed laces
Heel tab
Double leather sole
Close-heel welt
Natural sole edge
Leydon last

Dream boot
drool.gif

You hear me LeatherSoul?!

I hear ya. We've been getting a lot more requests to do more models on the Leydon like in the past.

nice choice!

I wouldn't do anything other than wear them!
(a lot!)

Tom can chime in, but I think the pen trick is more suited for plain toe make ups.

Better suited to PTs for sure but useful for any model in my opinion.

Originally Posted by Joenobody0

Just depends on how anal you are.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by zippyh
Tom said they'd be doing a longwing with crepe sole soon.

One of our releases for the LSBH trunk show.

Originally Posted by makewayhomer
engima you can't be a 10.5 in barrie and 8.5 in tremont, one of those things is very wrong

Yup, something is definitely wrong here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads