• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Kiwi Parade Gloss bad for shoes?

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Edward Green use Kiwi. People are waaaay too into shoe polishing here. Keep them clean and go on with your life. You also don't need a mirror shine on your shoes, unless they are black and you are marching in a parade or wearing formalwear.
I like a mirror shine on my shoes. That said, you are correct, there's to much fussing about what's the best polish, conditioner &c. Interestingly, Gaziano & Girling recomended parade gloss for polishing my shoes.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scoundrel
over a short period of regular, continuous use, it dries the leather beyond belief.

YES.
Tony Gaziano and Lattanzi might use Kiwi,
but it still no good.
They not leather preserver,
they shoe maker.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Saphir only has natural ingredients.

wut? it's from frogland. welcome to planet earth...

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Son Of Saphir
YES.
Tony Gaziano and Lattanzi might use Kiwi,
but it still no good.

no complaints with kiwi for me.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
no complaints with kiwi for me.
Nor have I, and I've been using it for years. I've never had a pair of shoes fail in uppers always the soles. After being re-soled two/three times I throw them as I'm led to believe they can't be re-lasted.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be honest I've been polishing my black shoes with parade gloss for years and don't see any negative effects.

If anything, they look excellent. I don't have the time / patience to achieve as good a shine with normal wax.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
I've never had a pair of shoes fail in uppers always the soles. After being re-soled two/three times I throw them as I'm led to believe they can't be re-lasted.

how comes??? it's not exactly what i have been told and experienced personally.

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Avocat
Forgive me for resurrecting an old thread, but been searching the forums for information about Kiwi regular polish (and if there's info here about same, I apologize in advance for not being able to find it in my search). Anywho, ...

I well realize (and avoid) the Parade Gloss for reasons stated; I also follow a similar regimen as noted above-namely, switching b/w cream and polish. I have also had good results with that, however, I use regular Kiwi polish for my black shoes/boots. Recently, I was told by an RMW rep that Kiwi contains alcohol and that it's best to avoid same.

Just wondering what others here think about it, and assume that my cream is negating the effects (so far, so good), but just thought I'd toss this question out there as I'm happy to switch out to something else as I'd rather not take any chances ...

Thanks so much in advance and for your info and advice.

Originally Posted by pebblegrain
Don't make it so ******* complicated.

facepalm.gif

Avocat, hopefully you still feel welcome here. On a recent podcast at ASW about shoe polishing, http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...shoe-care.html , the professional shoe-polisher interviewed recommended using high-quality polishes rather than cheap ones, and also hit on the cream v. wax issue too.

Certainly worth a listen.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Silicon has a miserable long term effect on shoes. It gives them a cheap, glass shine on day 1, but it's downhill from there, and doesn't do what polishing is supposed to do, which is care for the leather over the long term. I avoid shoe shine places that use silicon products like the plague - they're all over downtown.

On a related note, I really need to start shining my own shoes. It's not even that much work. SMH.

rabiesinfrance

Reaction score
You certainly won't find Kiwi on sale in any of the quality maker's shops. If you buy quality shoes, use the maker's polish. No brainer. Personally, I use C&J or Edward Green. Tried Church's but it's not as good. The really good stuff is almost like butter, which melts into the shoes.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
isn't vox suppose to post something about homemade jelly at this point?

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rabiesinfrance
You certainly won't find Kiwi on sale in any of the quality maker's shops.

Edward Green use $1.50 Kiwi when making your shoes but are happy to sell you a 10 quid tin of EG polish.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
how comes??? it's not exactly what i have been told and experienced personally.
I was told years ago that you can only (mechanically) re-last shoes about 3 times due to the deterioration of the leather at the 'stress points' He said the stresses induced by the lasting machine can cause the shoes to split/tear at these points and you'll only find out when you attempt the operation. So, it isn't worth the risk. This was on the original equipment used to make the shoe. He proposed an alternative method of repair as I recall. Handmade/hand lasted shoes may be different of course.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads