• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New York Neighborhood Tailor Recommendations?

SamuelH

Reaction score
I have read through the recommendations for tailors, but nothing much on the Upper West side / Morningside Heights.

Any recommendations for a tailor in those neighborhoods (UWS, Morningside Heights)? I only need shirt sleeves shortened, but these are pretty nice shirts so I want a good job.

Thanks!

lockey2k

Reaction score
I would just hope the 1-9 to times sq and NR to 23rd St. and give it to the tailor there (name begins with a C but escapes me).

For small stuff, the guy at Ye Olde Dry Cleaning does a decent job.

cjp

Reaction score
there's a guy called Anthony Tailor on West 74th street, between Columbus and Amsterdam north side of the street. He's actually pretty good and can handle that work easily.

tbone226

Reaction score
Not on upper west/morning side, but i've had good experiences with Peppino , 780 Lex btw 60th/61st

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will also x post in quick questions thread...

Reviving this thread: Does anyone have a tailor they like on the Upper West Side? I have some simple jobs (hemming pants, taking in waist) and one rather complex one (taking in sports coat and possibly slimming the shoulders)

I've lost some weight and went from a 42R to a 40R and hope to be able to wear some of my larger sport coats. Figured I'd start with one and see if it's worth the $$.

Thanks in advance.

Peter

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What the hell is wrong with you lazy-assed New Yorker?

Have you never heard of the Metro/Subway?
facepalm.gif

And stupid too.

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was uncalled for. Check the thread title, Mr. "Senior Member." It says "neighborhood tailor."

I'm looking for a place I can stop at on the way home from work. I have two little kids; my wife works and I'd prefer not to run all around the city if I don't have to.

Oh yeah: here in New York we call it the "subway."

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Thank you for proving my point.
lol8[1].gif

I also revised my original post to add "stupid" to "lazy ass"
facepalm.gif

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...and your point was? You say "lazy"; I say "efficient."

Why are you even on this thread anyway? Either answer the question or STFU.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Listen....sometimes when you want something done the right way, you have to travel to get it done. I live in the downtown Brooklyn area and get all of my tailoring donw in the LES at Stanton Tailors. My dry cleaners is ON MY BLOCK and I pass them every day going and coming home after I get off the subway. I have used Stanton for 20+ yrs! I sometimes get up on a Sat morn, get there at 10:30-11am and am able to pick up my altered stuff same day! There may not be a very good spot on your way to/from work. But a famous man once said...
"A good tailor is more important to a man than a good doctor."

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
Listen....sometimes when you want something done the right way, you have to travel to get it done. I live in the downtown Brooklyn area and get all of my tailoring donw in the LES at Stanton Tailors. My dry cleaners is ON MY BLOCK and I pass them every day going and coming home after I get off the subway. I have used Stanton for 20+ yrs! I sometimes get up on a Sat morn, get there at 10:30-11am and am able to pick up my altered stuff same day! There may not be a very good spot on your way to/from work. But a famous man once said...
"A good tailor is more important to a man than a good doctor."

Thanks for the civil response -- much appreciated.
smile.gif

I don't mind traveling for good work; but why do so if you don't have to. I have heard good things about Stanton, btw. It's just that the title of the thread is "neighborhood tailors," meaning "a tailor in your neighborhood."

Best,
Peter

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do a search on NYC Tailors. I have seen many and people break them down by price and 'hoods.

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did a quick one -- came up empty -- but will drill down again.

Most recent post in relevant thread was a few years ago -- and none that I could find specifically mention UWS -- wondering if things have changed.

Hey, we actually got a good butcher to replace Oppenheimer's after it closed last year.

Thanks.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, but just a thread search on "Upper West Side." No matches.

No worries, thanks again for your help. I'll keep looking. I work in the Garment District so no doubt there's one around here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads