• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Steve Thomas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Thomas

For the skinheads in this area, solid colored polos or white t-shirts with jeans was the look. I think this was more because we didn't have the fashion available to us. Getting Docs involved trying on your friends until you found your size then ordering them from a catalog. You sent your money order off and waited months for the box to arrive...and you hoped they were the right size. I knew people who waited more than 6 months to get their boots.

And for outerwear it was either an MA-1 flight jacket or an M65 field jacket. You got what was available at the Army/navy surplus.

eightdouble

Reaction score
You got what was available at the Army/navy surplus.

in 1986 i bought my black 14 eyelet docs at an army navy store in denver. they had started to carry them based on requests that they had received from the many skinheads in denver. i think i paid 60 bucks for them.

had they not had them i doubt i would have ever found them. it's so strange to think about how isolated and hard to get into these little counter culture movements were before the internet.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, the past few pages have been awesome. Can we start a skinhead version of the WAYWT? Maybe even incorporate some some mod-ish looks? A sussed-out WAYWT if you will.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spiney Norman.

DINSDALE!

uWgIkt59joojupku2phd1QSNo1_500.jpg

Sorry - couldn't resist that!

You have to be a certain age and British to get the joke.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eightdouble
of course i remember vic. i remember he had some strange band going with his wife at or around that era (maybe even a home studio?)...

do you happen to know a girl named stacey iguchi (or stage dive stacey as she used to be known)?

yep he still had that band with his wife when we recorded. Stacey Iguchi....nope, i'm assuming she's asian too? I was the only rice ***** I knew of other than seeing random azn skins at shows that I didnt know.

Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
Five'll get you ten that's about the time braces came in!

I was told by a 68 London skin that Levis 505 and Lee 101z were the preferred jeans of his mates

in 1986 i bought my black 14 eyelet docs at an army navy store in denver. they had started to carry them based on requests that they had received from the many skinheads in denver. i think i paid 60 bucks for them.

had they not had them i doubt i would have ever found them. it's so strange to think about how isolated and hard to get into these little counter culture movements were before the internet.

being in LA, we had a couple shops that sold DMs so you could try on before buying. My first pair was 1985 and cost about $60 iirc. That was a LOT for back then too. We also ordered a pair from Shellys in England, would mail them an envelope with cash and amazingly got our boots like a couple months later. Looking back, that was pretty nuts to do since chances were you'd be throwing away your money. Everything was a hunt to find the right gear, so different from the instant click and buy convenience of today, I think that's why back then when you saw someone really sussed there was a certain respect because you knew how hard it was to get all that stuff.

Originally Posted by AntiHero84
Ok, the past few pages have been awesome. Can we start a skinhead version of the WAYWT? Maybe even incorporate some some mod-ish looks? A sussed-out WAYWT if you will.

maybe i'll start posting pics again too, but just in this thread.

eightdouble

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
yep he still had that band with his wife when we recorded. Stacey Iguchi....nope, i'm assuming she's asian too? I was the only rice ***** I knew of other than seeing random azn skins at shows that I didnt know.

yeah, old friend of mine. she's from i wanna say like thousand oaks. she's definitely from the new age records/straight edge side of things, but she also definitely had and has some mod/skinhead leanings. she's in her late 30's and has been around so cal hardcore since the late 80s. but everything is suck a sprawl out there i don't expect everyone to know everyone.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
might have already posted these before? dont remember....

38842478949439347611774.jpg

40640478905104347611774.jpg

38842478949429347611774.jpg

40292479018994347611774.jpg

40640478905089347611774.jpg

40640478905094347611774.jpg

39040477941769347611774.jpg

39040477941774347611774.jpg

53801291554043476117743.jpg

Cheers to Loem for digging up those photos ^^

some more, posted before in this thread maybe?

twisted2034.jpg

60sSkinsmag.jpg

3280014.jpg

PUB-PHOTO-SHOOT.jpg

ORIGINAL-SKINHEAD-AND-SUEDE-HEADS-60S.jpg

Originals-70S.jpg

HERBERT-STREET.jpg

APRIL-1970.jpg

1967-photos.jpg

Steve Thomas

Reaction score

My friends and I have had this discussion on countless occasions. We would spend entire days flipping through 12" and 7" records hoping to get something new or exciting. You'd scour the liner notes of albums and write down the names of bands they thanked. Looking at the album photos or music magazines you'd try to emulate what you saw with what was available. And Kansas City was (and to a large degree still is) very removed from the "counterculture." The big difference now is you can just google it.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
yeah, old friend of mine. she's from i wanna say like thousand oaks. she's definitely from the new age records/straight edge side of things, but she also definitely had and has some mod/skinhead leanings. she's in her late 30's and has been around so cal hardcore since the late 80s. but everything is suck a sprawl out there i don't expect everyone to know everyone.

yea at the time I was living in Pasadena then Orange County so quite a bit south of her. But I'm 99.9% sure we were at many of the same gigs, esp since we used to drive up to Reseda Country Club for gigs on weekends religiously, and that isnt too far from her stomping grounds.

Steve Thomas

Reaction score
We also ordered a pair from Shellys in England, would mail them an envelope with cash and amazingly got our boots like a couple months later. Looking back, that was pretty nuts to do since chances were you'd be throwing away your money. Everything was a hunt to find the right gear, so different from the instant click and buy convenience of today, I think that's why back then when you saw someone really sussed there was a certain respect because you knew how hard it was to get all that stuff.

SHELLY'S!!! That was the place! This thread has brought back so many great memories!

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
My friends and I have had this discussion on countless occasions. We would spend entire days flipping through 12" and 7" records hoping to get something new or exciting. You'd scour the liner notes of albums and write down the names of bands they thanked. Looking at the album photos or music magazines you'd try to emulate what you saw with what was available. And Kansas City was (and to a large degree still is) very removed from the "counterculture." The big difference now is you can just google it.

**** yea. it's amazing how *we* all did the exact same things at the same time. Any band that name dropped Minor Threat, 7 seconds, Ian Mackaye etc I would hunt down their record. Usually with good results. +1 on the emulation thing, it's why I started wearing a flatcap around 87...I saw a photo of Stinky Turner from the Rejects wearing one and dug how it looked so went to the old man suit shop and bought a tweed flatcap that I wore almost everyday for the next 3 years.

Steve Thomas

Reaction score
**** yea. it's amazing how *we* all did the exact same things at the same time. Any band that name dropped Minor Threat, 7 seconds, Ian Mackaye etc I would hunt down their record. Usually with good results. +1 on the emulation thing, it's why I started wearing a flatcap around 87...I saw a photo of Stinky Turner from the Rejects wearing one and dug how it looked so went to the old man suit shop and bought a tweed flatcap that I wore almost everyday for the next 3 years.

It was so bad in KC that we also all made our own band t-shirts. A stencil and some spray paint and you could rock any band you wanted. Then one of my buddies got all upscale and bout a screen and some fabric paint. We made "silk screened' shirts for a while.

One of my prized possessions though is an Embrace t-shirt. After Minor Threat and before the first Fugazi record we were all playing 5th and 6th generation recordings of Embrace. That was the album that summer. We all pooled our money and had "legit" t-shirts made with the album art on the front and "No More Pain" on the back. I will still pull that shirt out and wear it with a smile.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
^^ awesome. that was when "emo" wasnt the dirty word that it is today.

I loved all that post-hardcore stuff like Embrace, Soulside, Rites of Spring, Marginal Man, Beefeater, Kingface etc

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GS, I think I've only seen one of those pics here before. Consider these saved to the hard drive.

The Notes section was absolutely crucial to any album.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
today...pretty much same as yesterday (and day before that). My fave "look" is the tank top, buttondown, jeans, DMs, jacket combo. Jeans are Lee101z, and one thing I've rediscovered is how good a simple white shirt looks since I normally wear checks/ginghams.

111210pic.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads