• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maintaining Antiqued Leather Shoes?

Kenneth Cole Haan

Reaction score
Ok, another dumb question for the stylists on here: Those shoes they sell that have an antiqued finish on the leather, how to do you maintain the shine and leather? If you use cream won't it be ruined? Do you use neutral polish only ? Is that enough?

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's my take. People worry too much about the care of their shoes.

I polish my antiqued shoes like normal. If they change colors slightly, so be it. I don't beat up my shoes, but I don't stress over little issues such as the finish changing. It's not like you are putting acetone on the finish. It's not going to make that much of a difference to worry about.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kenneth Cole Haan
Ok, another dumb question for the stylists on here: Those shoes they sell that have an antiqued finish on the leather, how to do you maintain the shine and leather? If you use cream won't it be ruined? Do you use neutral polish only ? Is that enough?

Any time something is done to the finish of a shoe that is very noticeable like the factory antiquing it is going to take A LOT to change it. I wouldn't worry, but using something darker on the heel quarters and toe and lighter on the vamp and rest of the shoe is probably your best bet. Even if you didn't with regular care it would probably take years to change the finish substantially. Good polishes don't cover up color easily, that is a large reason why they are "good", they don't cover up the natural look of the leather.

Kenneth Cole Haan

Reaction score
What does "Something darker" mean, polish or cream? The cream should dye the finish shouldn't it?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Something darker refers to the color or shade of polish used. Cream will deposit more pigments, however you need to rub very hard leave it on for a really long time or it to be permanent. Using a conditioner will usually take a good deal of it off as conditioners like Renovatuer have ingredients that act has subtle solvents to remove dirt and buildup.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics