• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Kiwi Parade Gloss bad for shoes?

merkur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

Scoundrel

Reaction score
Yes, from what I hear; over a short period of regular, continuous use, it dries the leather beyond belief.

merkur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

Scoundrel

Reaction score
Others say they vary between wax polish and cream polish. Such a variation maintains the leather's original state. It is said that too much wax polish will eventually dry the leather.

However, I am particular about keeping my footwear clean as well as shiny. I always clean a pair of shoes, for example, with leather balm, a cream-like leather cleaner. This is how my leather shoes retain their original luster. After cleaning, I then shine with wax. I find this way to be just as beneficial as the one discussed here or at some other forum.

satorstyle

Reaction score
Check the ingredients, I think it has silicon in it. Very dangerous.

jtyorke

Reaction score
Yes, Parade Gloss is very harmful to shoes if you use it exclusively to shine your shoes. It's best to get a decent shine using regular Kiwi polish, then use small amounts of the Parade Gloss to achieve a high shine.

mimile

Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Is Kiwi Parade Gloss actually bad for shoes? I remember reading something about silicone compounds in Parade Gloss being bad for leather but looking at a tin of Parade Gloss, no ingredients are listed. Doesn't anyone here use Parade Gloss on high end shoes?

I woudl not advise you to do that. Kiwi Parade Gloss contains Silicone. It gives an excellent shine but gradually destroys your shoes.
The best thing to do is to use shoe cream + shoe polish. the cream nourrishes the leather and the polish makes it shiny. I use shoe cream once every 4 shoe polish. I only use high quality cream and polish: Saphir, Medaille D'Or from Avel. It really makes a big difference to use only high quality material if you have good shoes.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mimile
I only use high quality cream and polish: Saphir, Medaille D'Or from Avel. It really makes a big difference to use only high quality material if you have good shoes.

really? IIRC, on manton's trip to the edward green factory in northampton, he said that EG workers use kiwi polish on all their shoes. and kiwi, as we know, is just a "normal" brand.

novqilin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mimile
I woudl not advise you to do that. Kiwi Parade Gloss contains Silicone. It gives an excellent shine but gradually destroys your shoes.
The best thing to do is to use shoe cream + shoe polish. the cream nourrishes the leather and the polish makes it shiny. I use shoe cream once every 4 shoe polish. I only use high quality cream and polish: Saphir, Medaille D'Or from Avel. It really makes a big difference to use only high quality material if you have good shoes.

very helpful tip, thank you

Harry Lean

Reaction score
Short answer is that it dries the leather and cause premature cracking. Avoid.

Avocat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Harry Lean
Short answer is that it dries the leather and cause premature cracking. Avoid.

Forgive me for resurrecting an old thread, but been searching the forums for information about Kiwi regular polish (and if there's info here about same, I apologize in advance for not being able to find it in my search). Anywho, ...

I well realize (and avoid) the Parade Gloss for reasons stated; I also follow a similar regimen as noted above-namely, switching b/w cream and polish. I have also had good results with that, however, I use regular Kiwi polish for my black shoes/boots. Recently, I was told by an RMW rep that Kiwi contains alcohol and that it's best to avoid same.

Just wondering what others here think about it, and assume that my cream is negating the effects (so far, so good), but just thought I'd toss this question out there as I'm happy to switch out to something else as I'd rather not take any chances ...

Thanks so much in advance and for your info and advice.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use olive oil, cuz kiwi has high content of cholesterol which clogs my shoes arteries.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Avocat
Forgive me for resurrecting an old thread, but been searching the forums for information about Kiwi regular polish (and if there's info here about same, I apologize in advance for not being able to find it in my search). Anywho, ...

I well realize (and avoid) the Parade Gloss for reasons stated; I also follow a similar regimen as noted above-namely, switching b/w cream and polish. I have also had good results with that, however, I use regular Kiwi polish for my black shoes/boots. Recently, I was told by an RMW rep that Kiwi contains alcohol and that it's best to avoid same.

Just wondering what others here think about it, and assume that my cream is negating the effects (so far, so good), but just thought I'd toss this question out there as I'm happy to switch out to something else as I'd rather not take any chances ...

Thanks so much in advance and for your info and advice.

Don't make it so ******* complicated. Personally I don't see a reason to alternate between cream and polish. People have been using Kiwi wax tins for decades. There is not a significant amount of alcohol in it, otherwise it would dry out in the tin after a week. I would say the only thing significantly bad about it is that it doesn't smell so great, but nobody smells your shoes except you.

Go to any maker of shoes. 95% are using Kiwi. Even Edward Green.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Are you sure about that? I feel like most shoe makers are using Saphir products. Kiwi has a lot of pigments in it, which cover up the leather and also silicons, which are death to leather. Saphir only has natural ingredients.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads