• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

Peacoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VictorC
^^^
YOuve made me want to get a sterlingwear coat now. I dont really need another coat as ive got about 10 coats and 2 peacoats.

Before you get a civilian model Sterlingwear, or even an issue version--if they are available, please read the article at the link I provided above. The difference in the quality of the wool is quite pronounced, as I explained in the article.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peacoat
Before you get a civilian model Sterlingwear, or even an issue version--if they are available, please read the article at the link I provided above. The difference in the quality of the wool is quite pronounced, as I explained in the article.
I wonder what the differance between the 100% and 80% wool versions really does for the coat. Might it be that the 80/20 nylon blend helps fight wind more than the 100% melton?

Peacoat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
I wonder what the differance between the 100% and 80% wool versions really does for the coat.

Might it be that the 80/20 nylon blend helps fight wind more than the 100% melton?

A wool blend is less expensive than 100% wool, which I think is the main consideration. I have heard, but not sure I believe it, that an 80/20 blend is more moth resistance. Also I have heard that the blend wears longer than the 100% wool.

The nylon blend won't help fight the wind; only the tighter weave of the vintage Kersey wool will keep the wind out.

VictorC

Reaction score
I went to a retro shop where they had vintage us navy peacoats. The smallest size was 40inch and it looked about 3 sizes too big for me, the shoulders were massive. I think the coats look a bit OTT to me. They only had black as well, and they didnt seem to me to be particularly warm.

Why does style forum keep losing connection or is it only me?

VictorC

Reaction score
Do the Royal navy wear peacoats? Usually i hear Peacoats are associated with the US Navy!

tightandbright

Reaction score
Is it possible to alter peacoats? It's kinda loose around my waist/stomach. How much would it usually cost? 100$?

Vaio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tightandbright
Is it possible to alter peacoats? It's kinda loose around my waist/stomach. How much would it usually cost? 100$?

im fairly sure that they can just move the buttons.. or take in the sides. im not quite sure how much it costs though. just take it to a tailor and get an estimate.

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Booo, you guys didn't answer in time. I ended up buying a year old Small J.Crew on eBay for $110 (MSRP $275) so I guess I'm risking that it'll fit the same. If not I'll have one to sell! It was too good of a deal to pass up.

Peacoat

Reaction score
I went to a retro shop where they had vintage us navy peacoats. The smallest size was 40inch and it looked about 3 sizes too big for me, the shoulders were massive. I think the coats look a bit OTT to me. They only had black as well, and they didnt seem to me to be particularly warm.

If it was a black peacoat, it wasn't vintage. If it wasn't warm, it wasn't an issue peacoat. The current issue peacoats are a true black. The pre 1980 peacoats are a midnight blue. It is a very dark blue and may well appear black to the uninitiated. An issue peacoat is a warm coat. I have spent many a cold New York winter night in the City, and with a sweater under my peacoat, I never got cold.

Issue peacoats are cut for the athletic and well proportioned build. They will, however, fit a wide range of body sizes. I have a 42" chest with a 34" waist. At 6' and 185, a size 42 peacoat gives me a trim fit, but still leaves room for a sweater. My wife is 5'4" 120 lbs and a 32 is a good fit for her in an issue coat. She can also wear a 34.

Non issue peacoats are a different story. No way to tell what one can expect in fit. Most of the coats are over sized, boxy and not cut for the athletic build. But then they really aren't peacoats; they are peacoat inspired civilian fashion garments.

Just my opinion; others may differ.

pokey07

Reaction score
I think last year was bigger and boxier. Not 100% positive though

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why are you guys so fascinated by peacoats? 95% of the pictures posted here looks like ****. Just sayin.

VictorC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peacoat
If it was a black peacoat, it wasn't vintage. If it wasn't warm, it wasn't an issue peacoat. The current issue peacoats are a true black. The pre 1980 peacoats are a midnight blue. It is a very dark blue and may well appear black to the uninitiated. An issue peacoat is a warm coat. I have spent many a cold New York winter night in the City, and with a sweater under my peacoat, I never got cold.

Issue peacoats are cut for the athletic and well proportioned build. They will, however, fit a wide range of body sizes. I have a 42" chest with a 34" waist. At 6' and 185, a size 42 peacoat gives me a trim fit, but still leaves room for a sweater. My wife is 5'4" 120 lbs and a 32 is a good fit for her in an issue coat. She can also wear a 34.

Non issue peacoats are a different story. No way to tell what one can expect in fit. Most of the coats are over sized, boxy and not cut for the athletic build. But then they really aren't peacoats; they are peacoat inspired civilian fashion garments.

Just my opinion; others may differ.

The place i went to was emporium creek road, greenwich. The guy in the shop gets peacoats from an american source. Google him if you can, or i'll give you alink to him.

Peacoat, i am considering buying the authentic, sterlingwear. On the whole and by and large is it money worth it do you think. You seem very knowledgeable. I might be able to find second hand genuine US coats somewhere but to buy it from sterlingwear i cant go to wrong can i?

Peacoat

Reaction score
The place i went to was emporium creek road, greenwich. The guy in the shop gets peacoats from an american source. Google him if you can, or i'll give you alink to him.

Peacoat, i am considering buying the authentic, sterlingwear. On the whole and by and large is it money worth it do you think. You seem very knowledgeable. I might be able to find second hand genuine US coats somewhere but to buy it from sterlingwear i cant go to wrong can i?

As I said, Sterlingwear makes a good civilian peacoat. The peacoat you are thinking of buying will be there next week or next month. It isn't so cold yet that you have to do something tomorrow. First read my research so you will have an idea of what is what. Then take a look at:

http://www.vintagetrends.com/militar...=Navy+Pea+Coat

This is an alternative to ebay. It is an especially good source for the uninitiated. Then, next week, or next month, after you have studied things a bit, make a decision. I will say that I have had several Sterlingwear peacoats. Both civilian versions and the current issue versions. I have also spent several years researching and writing about peacoats. Plus, I have owned around 35 to 40 peacoats, mostly vintage issue models. For me there is no comparison between current issue and the vintage issue peacoats. The civilian Sterlingwear doesn't come close to either of the issue versions. But that is just my opinion. Others may see things differently.

Your location can complicate matters as you are in the UK. Duty will be a factor. If you were in Greenwich Village instead of Greenwich (section of) London, it would be simpler.

As I remember from my time in London, the wind isn't much of a factor, but the rain can be steady, and in the Winter it is quite the business (as in a bad way). You will want a peacoat that can repel the rain.

Good luck in your quest. I will be glad to help however I can.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads