• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
I have 40 years of experience and I disagree. Not the prettiest longwing I have ever seen, but I don't think they are ugly. I agree with you that the Alden is the best of the bunch.

Then what the f*ck is your problem? I said I thought they were ugly. You don't disagree they are the worst of the three. Yet, you felt the need to lecture me on my age and arrogance for not liking the shoes more. You also accused me of snobbery for not giving aesthetic bonus points to a pair of shoes for being cheap. Ugly is ugly regardless of how much you pay. If we were talking about simple value or utility, it would be a different story.

It sounds like you have an issue with me, not my opinion on a pair of ugly shoes.

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop on MBrenin. Will it be a cancelled subscription?

He's been banned from mfanblog.blogspot.com. Effective as of two years ago.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
The depth of your arrogance is often astounding. Are you even 30 yet, Foo? The Alden is the best looking and the most "sleek," if you can call a longwing sleek. However, there is something appealing about the Florsheim...and the the Florsheim is $160. Let's keep in mind that this is a budget shoe to shoe enthusiasts (not the general population where this would be an expensive shoe). I like the fact that Florsheim is trying new things. While I prefer to obtain true vintage Florsheim gunboats, I would consider this shoe if looking for a new gunboat on a budget. I do not think it looks like "garbage" and as a matter of fact, I am wearing a new pair of Florsheim boots today. They fit my needs, and were affordable. I looked over their entire selection yesterday and there were several handsome shoes in the range, all affordable. I just don't understand the hate. Mike
+1,000,000 If given a choice of taking a pair of Alden's or a pair of Florsheim's for free, I would take the Aldens. Better leather, obviously. But the Florsheim's are decent looking, even if they're CG. I voted Florsheim for the hell of it. I like the styling of the heel.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
I'd obviously take the Alden's over the Florsheim's if given a choice, but the Florsheim's are decent looking, even if they're CG.

Are they?

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Off topic a little....

From the pics I have seen posted, some people have really ugly feet. Even if they put on the most expensive bespoke shoes with the most elegant lasts, the shoes would still look ugly.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Then what the f*ck is your problem? I said I thought they were ugly. You don't disagree they are the worst of the three. Yet, you felt the need to lecture me on my age and arrogance for not liking the shoes more. You also accused me of snobbery for not giving aesthetic bonus points to a pair of shoes for being cheap. Ugly is ugly regardless of how much you pay. If we were talking about simple value or utility, it would be a different story.

It sounds like you have an issue with me, not my opinion on a pair of ugly shoes.

He's been banned from mfanblog.blogspot.com. Effective as of two years ago.

No, I put them above the AE's. They were my number 2 choice.

I think it is fine that you find them ugly, it is the way you assert your opinion that I have an issue with. I don't have any personal issue with you, Foo. I just think you often fail to employ tact when stating an opinion.

Mike

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop on MBrenin. Will it be a cancelled subscription?

Or will he have his lungs pulled out in a martial arts studio through his far too large lapels?

[IMG]https://www.styleforum.net/images/smilies/confused.gif

Ruh roh...just heard that Singapore Airlines flight 107 is being diverted to New Orleans...and all the champagne in first class has been fully consumed.

- B

I guess I better watch ******, or load up on the Wild Turkey.
lol8[1].gif

Maybe they will just reject my custom prior to being required to cancel it?

Oh, and, when you have a head as big as mine, you better have lapels that match.
smile.gif

I am quite fond of my lungs though. I would prefer to keep them.

Mike

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bellyhungry
Off topic a little....

From the pics I have seen posted, some people have really ugly feet. Even if they put on the most expensive bespoke shoes with the most elegant lasts, the shoes would still look ugly.

What the **** are you talking about?

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eh you know what. Eff groupthink. At $150? Those florsheims represent the single best MSRP value in dress shoes available right now. Period.

(at least, if you can verify they are welted)

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
Eh you know what. Eff groupthink. At $150? Those florsheims represent the single best MSRP value in dress shoes available right now. Period.

(at least, if you can verify they are welted)

and not Corrected grain.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
There's a new longwing available from Florsheim called the "Veblen". (See: here)

Where does the Florsheim fit in with the Alden 975 and the Allen Edmonds MacNeil?

longwing.jpg

The Florsheims are an absolute joke. What did the last look like?

blob.jpg

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
What the **** are you talking about?

I am saying that if you have ugly feet, even nice-looking shoes would not look good on you.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bellyhungry
I am saying that if you have ugly feet, even nice-looking shoes would not look good on you.

I am going to regret stepping into this thread but what do you define as ugly feet, how can you tell someone has ugly feet when wearing shoes
confused.gif

Icarus

Reaction score
How does everyone here feel about the 360 degree welt and the elevated/norwegian style welt?

Is this something essential to the look and feel of a longwing, or is it just unneeded clunky-ness thats accepted because they just like the shoe. I know some like exactly how it looks, but I'm wondering if you would like it as a sleeker shoe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads