• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
- B

I don't disagree that the Floresheims may pose a decent value. But, come on, do you really think Manton would say they're comparable to Aldens?

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
The Florsheim looks like garbage. If the forum can't tell that, there's no hope.

The depth of your arrogance is often astounding. Are you even 30 yet, Foo?

The Alden is the best looking and the most "sleek," if you can call a longwing sleek. However, there is something appealing about the Florsheim...and the the Florsheim is $160. Let's keep in mind that this is a budget shoe to shoe enthusiasts (not the general population where this would be an expensive shoe). I like the fact that Florsheim is trying new things. While I prefer to obtain true vintage Florsheim gunboats, I would consider this shoe if looking for a new gunboat on a budget.

I do not think it looks like "garbage" and as a matter of fact, I am wearing a new pair of Florsheim boots today. They fit my needs, and were affordable. I looked over their entire selection yesterday and there were several handsome shoes in the range, all affordable.

I just don't understand the hate.

Mike

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I pose to ban anyone from this forum that thinks a stacked heel is made from wood.
+ 1000 Insta-ban status Veblen - that's a funny name. I presume it's ironically chosen. Vintage Florsheim beats all 3. But in this comparison, Alden wins. They look better in real life...

hermes man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin

The Alden is the best looking and the most "sleek," if you can call a longwing sleek. However, there is something appealing about the Florsheim...and the the Florsheim is $160. Let's keep in mind that this is a budget shoe to shoe enthusiasts (not the general population where this would be an expensive shoe). I like the fact that Florsheim is trying new things. While I prefer to obtain true vintage Florsheim gunboats, I would consider this shoe if looking for a new gunboat on a budget.

I do not think it looks like "garbage" and as a matter of fact, I am wearing a new pair of Florsheim boots today. They fit my needs, and were affordable. I looked over their entire selection yesterday and there were several handsome shoes in the range, all affordable.

I just don't understand the hate.

Mike

i ve seen other florsheim shoe they look alot better than the one shown on this thread.. that one look so bad.. i think its the colour .. but sometimes picture cant do justice compare to real life

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Look at me!! Check out my "neapolitan approach to tailoring" and American style wingtips!!!! EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! I'm so sophisticated because I get all my stuff custom made at Rubinacci and Anna Matuozzo. Florsheims are for peasants!!!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's not a matter of how much they cost, but how ugly they are. I'm not sure what my age or arrogance has to do with anything.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not a matter of how much they cost, but how ugly they are. I'm not sure what my age or arrogance has to do with anything.

Because for you to simply declare that they are hideous, and assert that everyone who can't see that is clearly an idiot, is arrogance defined.

Whether they are ugly is a matter of opinion, not fact. Someone might look upon this as their very own "one shoe," and rush out to purchase 10 pair. Aesthetics are an issue of one's own perceptions, there are no absolutes.

I ask about your age because I find it interesting that someone so young and limited in life experience speaks as if they are an absolute authority on something as subjective as the topic of this discussion.

Mike

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Because for you to simply declare that they are hideous, and assert that everyone who can't see that is clearly an idiot, is arrogance defined.

Whether they are ugly is a matter of opinion, not fact. Someone might look upon this as their very own "one shoe," and rush out to purchase 10 pair. Aesthetics are an issue of one's own perceptions, there are no absolutes.

I ask about your age because I find it interesting that someone so young and limited in life experience speaks as if they are an absolute authority on something as subjective as the topic of this discussion.

Oh, those are definitely objectively ugly. I've had 28 years to figure that out, though. And you?

MORNINGSTAR777

Reaction score
I placed it in order of Alden, AE, Florsheim. I just can't place the Florsheim anywhere but last for the simple fact that it isn't made in America. If they cost that much and were made in an American factory they would be truly tough act to beat. I own the MacNeils and have seen the Aldens and a pair of Kenmoors in person, and would say that for the general public they're all close enough. My personal preference would be a foo-wing. I'm wearing some plaza last cap toes today and definitely think the shape is more appealing than te Barrie.

All things considered if you're working with limited cash and looking for a shoe that can be readily resoled you could do far worse than the Florsheims at that price.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, those are definitely objectively ugly. I've had 28 years to figure that out, though. And you?

I have 40 years of experience and I disagree. Not the prettiest longwing I have ever seen, but I don't think they are ugly. I agree with you that the Alden is the best of the bunch.

Mike

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't disagree that the Floresheims may pose a decent value. But, come on, do you really think Manton would say they're comparable to Aldens?

p21.jpg

Originally Posted by bluemagic
Those aren't Kenmoors, though.

Is that model more similar in styling to a washing machine?

confused.gif

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop on MBrenin. Will it be a cancelled subscription?

Or will he have his lungs pulled out in a martial arts studio through his far too large lapels?

confused.gif

Ruh roh...just heard that Singapore Airlines flight 107 is being diverted to New Orleans...and all the champagne in first class has been fully consumed.

- B

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
Vintage Florsheim beats all 3. But in this comparison, Alden wins. They look better in real life...
Agreed. I have a pair of vintage made in the USA Florsheim Imperials and they are awesome shoes, but contemporary Florsheims are a travesty. My grandfather would be ashamed.
Originally Posted by MORNINGSTAR777
I placed it in order of Alden, AE, Florsheim. I just can't place the Florsheim anywhere but last for the simple fact that it isn't made in America.
Also an excellent point.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
Look at me!! Check out my "neapolitan approach to tailoring" and American style wingtips!!!! EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! I'm so sophisticated because I get all my stuff custom made at Rubinacci and Anna Matuozzo. Florsheims are for peasants!!!

Wow, this is scathing.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics