• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessis

Reaction score
On the whole shirt deals thing - I paid $280.99 for 4 shirts from nialma. I paid in USD's instead of aussie dollars in Paypal. The saving was about $35.00 I think overall - I don't fit into Jermyn street stuff, need tailored and this was the best I could find. $70.00 per tailored shirt suits me fine. I love the aussie dollar right now.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Fletcher Jones doco on SBS 8.30 tonight

If this is the same one that was on previously, it was very saddening to watch this for me.

As someone who worked for FJ's for 5 years and learnt so much about tailored clothing there including MTM fitting skills there back in the day it broke my heart to see how the company has demised in the last 8 or so years since I left. The company had such history and could have enjoyed a great comeback given the right guidance, much like a Brooks Brothers of Australia but in the end it was full of very old hat management unwiling to change and the clientele died off and is not being replaced.

It had such great old ingredients for success, a great Aus made factory, lots of harris tweed, great flannels, a well priced MTM program including Dormeuil and Holland & Sherry fabrics, the list goes on. Just very sad.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe
If this is the same one that was on previously, it was very saddening to watch this for me.

As someone who worked for FJ's for 5 years and learnt so much about tailored clothing there including MTM fitting skills there back in the day it broke my heart to see how the company has demised in the last 8 or so years since I left. The company had such history and could have enjoyed a great comeback given the right guidance, much like a Brooks Brothers of Australia but in the end it was full of very old hat management unwiling to change and the clientele died off and is not being replaced.

It had such great old ingredients for success, a great Aus made factory, lots of harris tweed, great flannels, a well priced MTM program including Dormeuil and Holland & Sherry fabrics, the list goes on. Just very sad.

+1. My father used to wear a lot of Fletcher Jones stuff in the 1970s and 1980s, when I was young. I particularly remember that he used to have some fantastic trousers - a black-and-white houndstooth check, a brown and green houndstooth check with an overcheck, and a PoW check with a light blue overcheck. Fantastic stuff, and nicely-made to boot.

Now you go into Fletcher Jones and it's all made overseas and all awful, awful stuff.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
So bonuses were announced yesterday, and I am giving some very serious thought about putting some aside to ‘invest’ into my first tailored suit. I have a fairly good idea of what I want (more or less), but have no idea where to go or what it would cost. What are the options in Melbourne now days? I found this thread, which did not seem to be too inspiring, however its last post is two years old.

Also, I was looking at the Patrick Johnson website, and couldn’t for the life of me work out if they are OTR, MTM or Bespoke. Any experience with them?

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
So bonuses were announced yesterday, and I am giving some very serious thought about putting some aside to "˜invest' into my first tailored suit. I have a fairly good idea of what I want (more or less), but have no idea where to go or what it would cost. What are the options in Melbourne now days? I found this thread, which did not seem to be too inspiring, however its last post is two years old.

Also, I was looking at the Patrick Johnson website, and couldn't for the life of me work out if they are OTR, MTM or Bespoke. Any experience with them?

They're offshore MTM.

aKula

Reaction score
I've had suits made by two tailors here in Melbourne. Adriano has a broad selection of fabrics and I like the clothes he made me. He seemed quite flexible in the style of clothes he makes.

I've also tried Galati who made me a wonderful double breasted suit. Galati makes the entire garment himself and only uses Holland and Sherry cloth.

I'd stick with a local tailor who will make you a bespoke garment or alter an existing patern. Having someone cut and fit the garment himself is an altogether more interesting process than factory made MTM.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aKula
I've had suits made by two tailors here in Melbourne. Adriano has a broad selection of fabrics and I like the clothes he made me. He seemed quite flexible in the style of clothes he makes.

I've also tried Galati who made me a wonderful double breasted suit. Galati makes the entire garment himself and only uses Holland and Sherry cloth.

I'd stick with a local tailor who will make you a bespoke garment or alter an existing patern. Having someone cut and fit the garment himself is an altogether more interesting process than factory made MTM.

Thanks for the heads up. Adriano is on my list of places to check out. Will add Galati to the list also. What's sort of ball park price I can expect?

jaypee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$6.50! Hope someone here got it Also, free shipping to Aus until midnight on Asos www.asos.com Loake, Grenson, Nudie, Filson.. few other brands worth browsing

aKula

Reaction score
CHECKstar, just out of curiousity, what are you thinking of having made?

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Essentially I am after a navy single breasted three piece staple suit ideally with two pairs of pants (maybe one high waisted/fishtail back to accommodate the waist coat, the other a more regular height for when I forego the waistcoat). Ideally for use once or twice a fortnight. I am 6’1” and relatively lean (80ish kgs), so am leaning towards a leaner silhouette. Haven’t put much thought into the shoulders, so hopefully will get some guidance on that.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
Essentially I am after a navy single breasted three piece staple suit ideally with two pairs of pants (maybe one high waisted/fishtail back to accommodate the waist coat, the other a more regular height for when I forego the waistcoat). Ideally for use once or twice a fortnight. I am 6'1" and relatively lean (80ish kgs), so am leaning towards a leaner silhouette. Haven't put much thought into the shoulders, so hopefully will get some guidance on that.

If you can afford it, go proper bespoke. Adriano Carbone, as you've already been suggested, has an excellent reputation. He would be my pick in Melbourne, though there are undoubtedly others.

jhof5421

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jaypee
$6.50! Hope someone here got it

Also, free shipping to Aus until midnight on Asos

www.asos.com

Loake, Grenson, Nudie, Filson.. few other brands worth browsing

Yep, (hopefully) best $6.50 I ever spent mate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads