• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
What kind of shirts/tops look good with trenches and jeans? Oxfords under v neck sweaters look nice but are getting a little repetitive; looking for other ideas
New page bump, scarves?

NonPoly

Reaction score
double post

NonPoly

Reaction score
I'm looking for a winter coat/jacket...

Something classic, like maybe a wool pea coat, or even a varsity jacket. I'd like one thats slim fitting, and in navy or black. As far as my personal taste goes, I wear raw denim e'r day, white keds, solid v necks, black wayfarers etc.
Price under $400, any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks

SLeiber32

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NonPoly
I'm looking for a winter coat/jacket...

Something classic, like maybe a wool pea coat, or even a college jacket. I'd like one thats slim fitting, and in navy or black. As far as my personal taste goes, I wear raw denim e'r day, white keds, solid v necks, black wayfarers etc.
Price under $400, any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks

If you want to go with a peacoat the Mega Peacoat Thread is a wealth of information. You'll have to wade through a good bit of people trying to size Sterlingwear ones but that too can be valuable if that's the route you decide to take.

Green_Pinguin

Reaction score
Could you recommend me a stylish, slim fitting parka with a fur cowl, or brands/models I should have a look at? I can`t find something that really catch my eyes. Price range is about 200 $. Thanks for help!

SLeiber32

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Green_Pinguin
Could you recommend me a stylish, slim fitting parka with a fur cowl, or brands/models I should have a look at? I can`t find something that really catch my eyes. Price range is about 200 $. Thanks for help!

Looking for pretty much the exact same thing without the fur. Might wanna give Penfield a look but I haven't had much success so far either.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif
i need a pair of black boots

volatile

Reaction score
Y'know what I'm really struggling to find? Classic, slim-but-rugged leather gloves in brown &/or black at a price-point that won't utterly depress me if I lose them. It seems my choice is crappy market-stall ones for a fiver, or really high-end ones at hundreds of pounds a pair.

Any ideas, chaps?

Murdoc

Reaction score
_dsc7281.jpg
Really like this; anyone familiar with the brand MB999? Worth 240? Probably not.

SLeiber32

Reaction score
So I've been lurking sf and sufu for a little over a year now but just recently did I get a decent budget together and am starting to overhaul my wardrobe. It's starting to get pretty cold in Pittsburgh and I need a winter jacket but I'm having a lot of trouble finding something that I like, will be warm enough and is in my budget. It's particularly hard because I don't really know what kind of jacket is going to be the most versatile with my new wardrobe as I haven't really work things like chunky cardigans and OCBDs on a regular basis in the past. Any suggestions on a warm, versatile and affordable (<$250) coat? Oh, and I'm tall and super skinny so nice and slim is a big bonus. Thanks in advance.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ Insulated peacoat or duffle coat ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads