• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CEE88

Reaction score
Ever heard of Skyline Mens Wear, Seattle?
I've seen their jackets around -- usually designated 1950s or 60s, 'El Dorado' (below) & 'Coronado' being common styles.

I've searched the internet but couldn't find much information. If you know anything about the now extinct Skyline, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

More generally, thoughts on the jacket style?

skylinewoolgreenbrwnjac.jpg
[/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bit of a home run today - this was from a vintage store not a thrift, but I've been kicking myself after passing up on one of these a decade ago. Invertere for Cordings tweed field coat with a wool lining, and kickass solid brass foxhead buttons on the poachers pockets. Just needs the sleeves lengthened a little.

I also picked up a 50s Brooks Brothers union-made harrington. I passed on a minty Burberrys raglan-sleeved covert fabric coat because it just didn't look right on.

sam2352.jpg

sam2353.jpg

sam2354m.jpg

sam2355.jpg

odiv

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SimonC
Invertere for Cordings tweed field coat with a wool lining, and kickass solid brass foxhead buttons on the poachers pockets.
Nice find! The thrift options here aren't great, unfortunately. There are a few racks of shirts, but any men's suits or pants either don't show up or disappear very quickly. I have a feeling they go to the men's shelter that's in the same building. I'm going to have to schedule some trips down south for thrifting, general shopping, and maybe some poker. Then I can have something to brag in this thread about. I have some stuff from my last vacation I should photograph for this.

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did two stores on my lunch break and found a nice batch of stuff from the same guy, all at one store: Canali sweater Zegna sweater - he also had things including a cashmere v-neck that weren't in shape to bring home...
ffffuuuu.gif
1 Holland & Sherry dress shirt - the rest were Tom James with initials and I think Nordstrom 2 Bullock & Jones short-sleeved shirts - 1 madras, 1 red & white checks No suits - they were all Valentino or Tom James (name was in these) No pants - all Tom James, as far as I could tell No ties - all City of London or Valentino No shoes - two pairs, one J&M black leather cracked to heck, the other old AE loafers with a kiltie...with leather laces. Yeah, didn't try those. Did also pick up a cotton Sero shirt that may have been his or may have come from someone else since the size is slightly different. And of course, got 100% skunked on the store down the street. C'est la vie... but a decent day, particularly those rare sweaters!

vinasity

Reaction score
I found these badboys today, I already have a bunch of ppl telling me they want them lol
70e95c12.jpg
Originally Posted by TheWGP
BTW, I'm still undecided what to do with that suede Bruno Magli coat I found - any suggestions? I'm pretty set to sell it, but on MC B&S or Ebay?
I usually list things on the B & S for a couple of days before I list them on ebay.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SimonC
Bit of a home run today - this was from a vintage store not a thrift, but I've been kicking myself after passing up on one of these a decade ago. Invertere for Cordings tweed field coat with a wool lining, and kickass solid brass foxhead buttons on the poachers pockets. Just needs the sleeves lengthened a little.

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/8610/sam2355.jpg

drool.gif

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The other day I was at a Goodwill and I saw a guy trying on a really nice black and white prince of wales check jacket with a slight hint of blue in it. He looked like he was about my size and he seemed like he was hestiating a little so I waited around a little and he took the jacket off and put it back on the rack. As soon as he left the section I went over and tried on the jacket and it fit perfectly which was great. I was a little bummed that there werent matching pants but I figured I could make it work. It was priced a little higher than most of the other jackets they had there so I figured it was part of a suit but I couldnt find the pants anywhere but I got the jacket anyway. Today I was running some errands around the same area so I stopped into the same store and randomly saw the matching pants to my jacket in a totally different section. I took them to the counter and explained that I had bought the matching jacket the other day. I also explained that the price on the pants was the same price that was on the jacket which is what they charge for the complete suit so she let me take them. I now have a very nice 100% wool prince of whales check suit that will fit perfectly once I get the pants tapered a little. I also found 4 really nice silk and 2 wool ties at the same place. All in all it was a pretty good day.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
gentlemen i seek your infinite wisdom,are these Florsheim imperials shell or not?
(very heavy shoes,toungue is thick... after all these years i still cant tell unless its stamped on the sole,what do you guys think?)

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CasmirRadon
dscf1141sa.jpg

Micro-creases = not shell. Still nice looking shoes though.

i've seen micro creases on shell (stamped with shell insignia) so thast not a definite,but im not disagreeing with you...keep em coming

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
gentlemen i seek your infinite wisdom,are these Florsheim imperials shell or not? (very heavy shoes,toungue is thick... after all these years i still cant tell unless its stamped on the sole,what do you guys think?)
Beaut. Not shell. I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads