• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am close to finishing a bottle of Laphroaig QC too, I have a bottle of a blended Taketsuru 12y on deck but it's not what I'm in the mood for lately. I think I might get a bottle of Lagavulin 16y..

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maximus Mark
This thread must not die.

Just finished a bottle of delicious Laphroaig Quarter Cask. I swear you can chew the smoke and peat in your mouth.

That said, I'm looking for a less-peaty but complex malted-liquid incarnation for my next bottle.

Bottles I haven't tried but strongly considering:
1) Highland Park 18 - $135 for me (go Canada), but it's HP18. Nuff' said.
2) Aberlour A'bunadh - $95. Universally acclaimed.
3) THE Glenlivet XXV - $350. Frugal (ie. boring) lifestyle last month means I can buy this, but if I do, it will have to give me an orgasm in my mouth. Hesitant.

Experiences with the above would be appreciated.

I have limited experience with the Glenlivet 25, but for the money they want I would get two Aberlours and one HP18 any day. Both of those are excellent whiskys.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
I have limited experience with the Glenlivet 25, but for the money they want I would get two Aberlours and one HP18 any day. Both of those are excellent whiskys.

I must agree with this. I tried the 25 not long ago (full disclosure, didn't buy a bottle, bought a double in a restuarant bar), and while it was a terrific Scotch (and I am a big fan of Glenlivet, mainstream as it is), I think ama's suggestion has merit.

qwertyzap

Reaction score
Lagavulin 16 yo neat. I'll add lukewarm water to anything thats distiller's edition, however. I've been impressed by Amrut Fusion & Distiller's Edition whiskys from India, too! Just recently bought a Clyndelish 1982 vintage 27 yo single cask distiller's edition of a Speyside single malt... quite remarkable. Smoothest thing I've ever drank and only $100 -- it was a K&L exclusive that sold out in pre-sale in a matter of weeks.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by downwithianbrown
just got a bottl of laphroaig 10 yr for 33 bucks at the liquor store. haven't opened it yet. I've never bought scotch before (more of a buy bottle, drink bottle that night person). any thoughts on this bottle?

best scotch for its value. costco sells them for $25.99 + tax. its my standard go-to scotch.

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our local Costco now has Lagavulin 16yr on sale for $49.99 (for the next couple weeks). This is an amazing deal.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^thanks for the heads up son that is a great deal

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
^thanks for the heads up son that is a great deal

Lagavulin
drool.gif
Buy 3 at that price - one to rock, two to stock.

I got a Balvenie DW bottle recently but I doubt I will be opening it soon, because I found a Yoichi 17y for not much that I want to get my hands on.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by I<3Bacon
Our local Costco now has Lagavulin 16yr on sale for $49.99 (for the next couple weeks). This is an amazing deal.

Lucky, we have Nadurra for $50... Yipee.
plain.gif

Waistcoat

Reaction score
Hi lads, wondering if you can give me some advice for my next purchase. I'm wanting to wet my feet with an Islay and need some help in making the right choice. I've read tasting notes etc, but I'd like to hear from some real scotch drinkers not using really flowery language. Could you give me your impressions/taste descriptions of and the differences between:

Ardbeg
Lagavulin
Laphroig
Laphroig QC
Talisker distiller's edition (I know it isn't Islay, but close to it from what I read)

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dumbed down as much as possible.

Ardbeg - peaty and citrusy
Lagavulin - peaty, some sweet sherry, a little floral, a little salty (most complex of the three IMO)
Laphroig - medicinal, peaty
Laphroig QC - sweet, peaty, woody
Talisker DE - pepper, sweet and a little salty

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'd get more details if you mentioned what varieties of Ardbeg, Lagavulin, and Laphroaig you were considering.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'd get more details if you mentioned what varieties of Ardbeg, Lagavulin, and Laphroaig you were considering.

True, but I assumed the standard OBs. I can't wait for the 2010 Laga 12 though, I hear its a little sweeter than the 09 which I think will work well.

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still have a 2009 stashed away along with maybe 1/3rd a 70cl bottle of the 2007... would be fun to pour them side by side with the 2010.
smile.gif

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still have a 2009 stashed away along with maybe 1/3rd a 70cl bottle of the 2007... would be fun to pour them side by side with the 2010.
smile.gif

Yea, that would be fun! I bought three of the 2009s as it was one of my favorite releases from last year. If this year is better I'd be thrilled. Did you decant the 2007 down?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads