• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discuss Land's End like you did J.Crew

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lands End is awful. The comparisons here to K-Mart (whom owns them) are not far off. The clothing is designed to match the bland generic tastes of the average overweight baby boomer whom fancies himself to be a rugged individualist.

You can see this in the outdoor themes companies like LL Bean and Lands End like to promote in their advertising and designs. Likewise there was even a special edition of the subaru forester released a couple years ago labeled the "LL Bean Edition", suggesting rugged 4x4 traction and Bean somehow re-enforce each other in customer's minds.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
That said, Lands' End dress shirts are low end. Kmart quality. There, I said it. People, particularly over at Andy's, try to position them as comparable to Brooks'. They're not, in no way. They are, however, cheap.

My recent experience with LE shirts is quite different. After reading the Trad's blind oxford tasting, I ordered a Tailored Fit Hyde Park ocbd and was very pleased with the purchase. Most noticeable differences with BB's Slim Fit Supima ocbd are slightly shorter collar points and a bit lighter weigth fabric, both which I don't mind.

I subsequently picked up a couple of their (must iron) Tailored Fit cotton Paintbrush shirts. Imo, those actually surpass BB's regular (must iron) cotton shirt offerings (excluding Golden Fleece and Luxury shirts). My shirts also displayed surprisingly good pattern matching. And fwiw, back yoke is split and mitered. I think if you compare similar shirts by both brands, LE is either pretty damn close to BB or better. Definitely a better value than BB, if that matters. There, I said it.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
My recent experience with LE shirts is quite different. After reading the Trad's blind oxford tasting, I ordered a Tailored Fit Hyde Park ocbd and was very pleased with the purchase. Most noticeable differences with BB's Slim Fit Supima ocbd are slightly shorter collar points and a bit lighter weigth fabric, both which I don't mind.

I subsequently picked up a couple of their (must iron) Tailored Fit cotton Paintbrush shirts. Imo, those actually surpass BB's regular (must iron) cotton shirt offerings (excluding Golden Fleece and Luxury shirts). My shirts also displayed surprisingly good pattern matching. And fwiw, back yoke is split and mitered. I think if you compare similar shirts by both brands, LE is either pretty damn close to BB or better. Definitely a better value than BB, if that matters. There, I said it.

I have not tried all of them, of course, but the ones I have seen have felt cheap. Even ordered one of their "luxury" shirts once, liking the pattern, but returned it without hesitation. Perhaps there are better, but nothing I've seen has inspired me to continue testing the waters.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Funny, my opinion on the LE shirts lines up exactly with Boyer's. That guy is
worship.gif

Green Lantern

Reaction score
Are we talking the "Lands End Canvas" stuff? Or educate me if the Canvas Line isn't any different.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it probably all depends on the context. if you're an igent looking for a shirt to wear with your rubinacci ... almost assuredly not. my go-to work shirts before were nordstrom's house brand, which are about 10% nicer than lands end at double the price (and need to be tailored in order to not look like tents). i haven't found their khakis baggy at all, certainly not compared to Bills. but then, i've got a kind of baggy body, so ...

SuitMyself

Reaction score
LE was purchased by Sears, not K-Mart, in 2002.

I really like a lot of their shirts and ties and pants. Their No-Iron OCBDs are really nice and I love their knit ties (still made in Italy). I have several pairs of LE No-Iron NantuckeT Reds poplin dress pants and I love them.

LE shoes, on the other hand, are to be avoided. 'Nuff said.

enginerd917

Reaction score
With the current 30% off promo, I purchased a white and blue must-iron Tailored Fit Hyde Park OCBDs, along with some crew neck sweatshirts since the LE Canvas cuts are slimmer than most others (on a sweatshirt, that is)

Schorsch

Reaction score
LE's quality to price ratio is very good. At their price range, it's the best you can find. Their attention to detail often puts them above higher-priced offerings. Example: the placket on my must-iron LE oxfords comes out flat wash after wash because of quality construction, while more expensive shirts from Gitman or Brooks do not.

As far as style, you can sort through the cubicle-wear and find good stuff. I'd wager with a good tailor you could emulate half of what you see from ritzier outfitters. Fit is often baggy, though, even with the "tailored" fit.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The placket on your lands end shirts comes out of the wash unpuckered because it's been fused, i.e., glued to the interfacing. I think it's open to debate whether that's desireable on a more casual shirt like an OCBD.

Anyway, Lands End shirts are comparable to Brooks Brothers. A good deal in my opinion, since it's a mid-range shirt for a low-end price (at least on sale).

SuitMyself

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of LE's silk knit ties. I don't like the polyester grosgrain ribbon on the underside of the neck area of the tie because it gets caught inside the knot when knotting the tie so I just remove it with a seam ripper and life's good.

Schorsch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ataturk
The placket on your lands end shirts comes out of the wash unpuckered because it's been fused, i.e., glued to the interfacing. I think it's open to debate whether that's desireable on a more casual shirt like an OCBD. Anyway, Lands End shirts are comparable to Brooks Brothers. A good deal in my opinion, since it's a mid-range shirt for a low-end price (at least on sale).
It's not the puckering I'm talking about, it's the folding over of the shirt-side edge. This gentleman always seems to have this problem:
HouseGregoryHouse.png
Don't get me wrong, I love me some puckering, and the "higher end" LE shirts do pucker nicely. I guess the fusing may have something to do with the laying-flat issue, but I was under the impression that the type of stitch used in the placket, along with the folding of the fabric, keeps the edges in check. Hence this is an oversight in a $125 shirt.

Bandit44

Reaction score
Lands End serves as my source for OCBDs. I'd prefer to buy BBs shirts, but I need tall sized shirts. Hyde Parks work well enough, but I wish they offered them in more color choices (like university stripes). Otherwise, I seldom purchase anything from LE.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Schorsch
It's not the puckering I'm talking about, it's the folding over of the shirt-side edge. This gentleman always seems to have this problem:
HouseGregoryHouse.png

Don't get me wrong, I love me some puckering, and the "higher end" LE shirts do pucker nicely. I guess the fusing may have something to do with the laying-flat issue, but I was under the impression that the type of stitch used in the placket, along with the folding of the fabric, keeps the edges in check. Hence this is an oversight in a $125 shirt.

All the LE shirts I've seen have a chain stitch on the placket. This is pretty standard, though you do see some better makers using single-needle. There's also several ways to make the placket -- you can fold over the shirt fabric twice (if there's no pattern and no right-side), or you can do the same thing with an extra fold on the inside for fabrics with a wrong side. And of course you can make a seprate strip and sew it on if it's got a pattern. I've actually seen a lot of high-end shirts that're self-interfaced (i.e., all shirt fabric).

Some are made with a layer of stiffer interfacing as in the third method. I imagine that this, and the distance from the edge it's stitched, determine whether the placket will fold over in the wash. You often see english-style shirts with stitching farther from the edge (i.e., 3/8" on each side instead of 1/4"). It's hardly a mark of an inferior shirt, though.

At any rate, it's easy to iron the placket down, so I don't see why this is a concern.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My selvedge chambray shirt from RRL puckers the most of anything I have. Is fabric irrelevant?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics