• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Serious question that's going to make you all angry.

Joe Cool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big T
If I want to buy some thing, I can. I have money! Pure and simple. Do I buy things simply to impress? No! I worked to hard to get my money!

Hard to argue with cold hard truth when articulated by a master wordsmith.

Game. Set. Match.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big T
If I want to buy some thing, I can. I have money! Pure and simple. Do I buy things simply to impress? No! I worked to hard to get my money!

Ok!

EZ

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay Gatsby
What about watches? If having my watch serviced every once in awhile costs the same as buying a new Seiko in the same duration of time, what's the point of having the more expensive watch?

You've got it backwards. Expensive watches break more often, AND are more costly to repair, to boot.
The reason you buy an expensive watch is b/c of the overt status it confers (just a more subtle way to logo brag, than say, a large polo horse), or b/c it has a design style you like.

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
You've got it backwards. Expensive watches break more often, AND are more costly to repair, to boot. The reason you buy an expensive watch is b/c of the overt status it confers (just a more subtle way to logo brag, than say, a large polo horse), or b/c it has a design style you like.
AND they keep less accurate time
bigstar[1].gif

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^ California native hasn't the cachet it once had.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
If I could find shoes that looked great for $50, then I'd buy 5 pairs. Until I do, I'll stick to my more expensive and a hundred times more elegant shoes.

Totally.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
You've got it backwards. Expensive watches break more often, AND are more costly to repair, to boot. The reason you buy an expensive watch is b/c of the overt status it confers (just a more subtle way to logo brag, than say, a large polo horse), or b/c it has a design style you like.
Bah. Maybe some of us are genuinely infatuated by tiny machines that tell time? I don't think anybody has ever looked at my Jaeger Le-Coultre Master Ultra Thin and been all like "OMG HE'S A BALLER!" You are right about the break more often and costly to repair part, though.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Bah. Maybe some of us are genuinely infatuated by tiny machines that tell time? I don't think anybody has ever looked at my Jaeger Le-Coultre Master Ultra Thin and been all like "OMG HE'S A BALLER!"

You are right about the break more often and costly to repair part, though.

But, you are a baller.

confused.gif

- B

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll always vote for buying the more expensive shoes since they usually look nicer. A shoe made of buttery leather with stacked wood heels is going be a lot less generic and cheap looking than a shoe containing bits of plastic, rubber, and cheap leather. Who wants their shoes to look like they came from some chain store in the mall?

However, cheaper shoes have a big advantage that I've yet to see anyone mention. With an expensive shoe that you repeatedly resole, you may be stuck with the exact same style for 10 to 20 years. Are you truly confident that both popular fashion as well as your own personal style will not change over several decades? I know many here in the MC forum pride themselves on not slavishly following trends, but to believe your own personal style will remain static for that long strikes me as stagnant and depressing.

Anyway, my point is that you buy the more expensive shoes for the look and not cost savings or even status. But the ability to resole makes wearing the nicer shoe cheaper than it appears at first glance.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You buy them if you like them and are willing to pay for them. That said, my one pair of John Lobb Premiers seem all but impervious to regular wear.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
"Expensive" shoes are better than cheap shoes. They look nicer, they feel more comfortable, and they are not made by children in windowless factories who eat maggots and rice. As they can be repaired and last longer they are a better choice from an environmental standpoint than disposable shoes.

Lol. That's it, we're Environmentalists!
laugh.gif

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uh......I buy these things because I like them and I can afford them. Do I really need any other reasons.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads