• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MEGA PEACOAT THREAD - 61 threads merged - all Peacoat questions HERE

mrpress

Reaction score
I ordered my "Authentic" online and it has a Bayswater tag inside.

anoggen

Reaction score
Same experience -- I haven't seen two separate peacoats; the only ones they carry in the store AFAIK is the one with Thinsulate.

Yeah I find myself wavering between the two...I think the medium is a bit larger in person than it looks in the photo. There's just a swath of material around the chest and waist and I'm not so sure about draftiness when the winter wind picks up.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ anoggen...I am 5'11" and 160 lbs ~ (156 actually) and I have a small in the J Crew peacoat.

jcrewsmcknight

Reaction score
I'm short; 5' 3", 150lbs . Usually wear 38S suit. Just ordered Stearlingwear Authentic's in 34S and 36S.

Was that the right move?

I read here that you should size 1 down from suit size for more modern/trim fit. I saw another members' fit pic of their 36S and they were 5' 8" 160 and it seemed by the pics that it was the correct body length for them. I'm hoping it works for me, despite me being about 5" shorter. I got the 34s thinking that it may be shorter than the 36 and that I could go a little smaller than previously mentioned member because of the 10lbs difference.

VictorC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
^I thought sterlingwear just had Authentic and Navigator models. http://item.rakuten.co.jp/jalana/sterling-m21-oxgry/

Is this not sterlingwear? Sterlingwear of boston is different? I had a sterlingwear and its pretty boxy.

Why is it in japanese.. I like that varsity jacket with double yellow stripes.
Yes, is sterlingwear the same as sterlingwear of boston?

hiyo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcrewsmcknight
I'm short; 5' 3", 150lbs . Usually wear 38S suit. Just ordered Stearlingwear Authentic's in 34S and 36S.

Was that the right move?

I read here that you should size 1 down from suit size for more modern/trim fit. I saw another members' fit pic of their 36S and they were 5' 8" 160 and it seemed by the pics that it was the correct body length for them. I'm hoping it works for me, despite me being about 5" shorter. I got the 34s thinking that it may be shorter than the 36 and that I could go a little smaller than previously mentioned member because of the 10lbs difference.

Post pics when you get them! I'm debating on getting one and about 5'5", 150lbs.

mrpress

Reaction score
Originally Posted by metajew
There should be a smaller button on the under side of the of the collar, when the collar's folded down, on the left side of the coat for this tab to fasten to.
Close but not quite - I figured it out today. There's a small button on the right side (opposite side of the tab) where it fastens. So the tab crosses over below your chin. It looks kind of weird but maybe it's functional, we'll see.

xzymandias

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new here (and to the whole fashion thing). I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a slim fitting pea coat that would be too short on me (6'1"). I don't have many stores near me that I would be able to try on different coats. I saw this in the store but it seemed a little short: http://www.express.com/wool-pea-coat...720.pro#jsLink Besides Express, the only other option I think is Macy's, but I'm not sure what the quality of their coats is like. Like I said, I am really new to this stuff, but I would like to avoid buying a cheap/non-fitting product. Thanks

metajew

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gandatoyou
Is this true? It doesn't have that 'Catalog/jcrew.com only' sign in the website. (althought one without thinsulate says so at the end of its description.)

From the description for the regular "Authentic" peacoat:

Originally Posted by J. Crew
J. Crew Authentic peacoat
Our new design is true to the time-honored classic, down to the anchor buttons and angled kissing welt pockets. The only thing we've changed is the wool fabric, which is much softer than anything available a century or two ago. Wool with a lofty finish for warmth. Collar flips up and fastens with tab for windshield. Exterior welt pockets, interior kissing welt pocket and patch mp3-player pocket. Full diamond-quilted lining. Import. Dry clean. Catalog/jcrew.com only.

I'm not sure what to tell you, but:
1) The only model I saw in the store was the Bayswater, Thinsulate model
2) This model [found in store] doesn't have the same lines down the back.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xzymandias
Hi. I'm new here (and to the whole fashion thing). I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a slim fitting pea coat that would be too short on me (6'1"). I don't have many stores near me that I would be able to try on different coats. I saw this in the store but it seemed a little short: http://www.express.com/wool-pea-coat...720.pro#jsLink

Besides Express, the only other option I think is Macy's, but I'm not sure what the quality of their coats is like.

Like I said, I am really new to this stuff, but I would like to avoid buying a cheap/non-fitting product. Thanks

Avoid Express. J Crew seems to be the most slim fitting peacoat and it definitely is slim (I have it). You can try the J Crew in tall size.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vaio
rumor has it that schott's peacoats have very itchy wool that sheds all over the place.
Where the hell did you get that from? They've been making jackets for almost 100 years. I'm pretty sure that little tidbit would be more than a rumor by now. BM - go with Schott.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads