• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think I hate San Francisco.

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by peter wolf
Walking out of a mens store ( Prada) a couple years ago, a bum walked past me and spit on my leg.

Why was the bum walking out of Prada?

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
I can understand the taxi complaints and the homeless and so on, but I saw a ton of cute girls. "All the 6s think they're 9s" is some internet-thuggin' "I only **** supermodels" bullshit.

Come to LA.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
Come to LA.

Plenty of uglies in LA. But at least they try to look good.

As for SF, a friend from Detroit observed that everyone here, regardless of gender or orientation, dresses like a lesbian.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp
Plenty of uglies in LA. But at least they try to look good.

As for SF, a friend from Detroit observed that everyone here, regardless of gender or orientation, dresses like a lesbian.

SF never really got over the 90s.

sw20

Reaction score
Far more civilized than Manhattan, let alone commie towns in Germany/Lond

Anyone with some money drives a new AMG around town and down to PaloAlto/Woodside (to do business w/people with real IQ/money); has garages at home/office and valet pkg at any restaurant that matters...cabs/trains are for 3rdWorld losers in NYC/Lond who prefer to mingle with the unwashed masses (homeless or not)

LA is a short flt and invariably penniless bimbos travel to wherever is money

BevHills/Malibu are excellent wkend resorts for the smart money crowd from SV...and social skills (AKA sucking up), "proper" attire, etc are meaningless in BH/SF/NYC, given enough money: the universal language of commerce in any capitalist society, whether a hedgie in Midtown or an engineer in Cupertino/MtnVw or a VC in Menlo/PaloAlto

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
I like that, for an effete liberal elite town of trust-fund hipsters, the city seems pretty receptive to good Americana. All the alt-country bands seem to have made it a regular stop, Hardly Strictly Bluegrass every year, etc..
Yeah, well they like to listen to Car Talk as well...

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just always remembered being cold in san Francisco..... in June and July...
uhoh.gif
(i grew up in Rhode Island and Boston too). when i was a kid we'd visit a lot (90's) and that was when it was like "BASIC INSTINCT"... cool houses and outwardly nice people, but all had some back story (ice pick sex murdering aside). quick story: i was there in 2001 and buying crabs in chinatown when these frat guys (one white and one black) were walking to an underpass. the white frat guy was drunk and started yelling "WHERE ARE ALL THE WHITE PEOPLE? EXCUUUSE ME WHHHEEERE ARE AAAAALLL THE WHITE PEOPLE?!!" the black frat guy was laughing at first... then the locals started to notice and started pointing and yelling back... before you know it there are flying woks, rocks, ben-wah balls, other various projectiles just pelting them. they ran to the underpass but a police van caught up to them. it was hilarious because the police were two obese asians and they had to chase them around the barriers like a three stooges skit (they were too fat to actually jump the railings). its so pretty in SF but there are parts where they have to run the electrical wiring on poles rather than underground which is an eyesore. golden gate park and miur woods are easily accessible and pretty too.

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
I don't get it! Some of you describing San Fransisco seem to jump to New York halfway through your narration... I'm not sure why these trips to Union square are necessary, but let's keep it in the SFBA please.
confused.gif

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
B/c dirty communist bums can afford nice clothes

I thought they all lived in Berkeley?

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^because people can't help comparing the two.

SF is layered and attracts plenty of different types of people. I can't recognize at all the self-promoting super-proud-of-their-city element of SF being portrayed on this thread. Seems like most of the people I know just do their thing and, like most other places, take their surroundings for granted. The food's great. Residents are typically split on the weather; some dislike the fact that there isn't a nice hot summer while others appreciate that we don't get the humidity of NY or Boston. The politics are usually annoying and occasionally refreshing. Rent situation sucks--for both owners and renters. Traffic continues to get worse. People generally dress bad. The air is fresher than many major US cities and sometimes, when it occurs to someone to notice, the scenery dazzles.

I've lived in both NY and Boston and while I'm not head over heels in love with S.F., I've never in person met anyone who hates the place (with the exception of one native new yorker, actually). Seems like a funny place to hate.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Having lived in and visited some of the most beautiful cities on earth, though, I find it silly that anyone would rank SF -- or any North American city -- among them.
My comments too often display pretention ... but holymadness' statement takes the cake.*

* Takes the cake being a particularly American saying.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp
SF is layered and attracts plenty of different types of people. I can't recognize at all the self-promoting super-proud-of-their-city element of SF being portrayed on this thread. Seems like most of the people I know just do their thing and, like most other places, take their surroundings for granted. The food's great. Residents are typically split on the weather; some dislike the fact that there isn't a nice hot summer while others appreciate that we don't get the humidity of NY or Boston. The politics are usually annoying and occasionally refreshing. Rent situation sucks--for both owners and renters. Traffic continues to get worse. People generally dress bad. The air is fresher than many major US cities and sometimes, when it occurs to someone to notice, the scenery dazzles. I've lived in both NY and Boston and while I'm not head over heels in love with S.F., I've never in person met anyone who hates the place (with the exception of one native new yorker, actually). Seems like a funny place to hate.
i like this tepid boosterism. you're like the david duke of SF.
Originally Posted by iammatt
Yeah, well they like to listen to Car Talk as well...
i again recommend that you listen to this show. maybe you can find it broadcast in french? i'm sure that would make it more palatable to your ears. might help ease your NPRBS as well.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
Last page very helpful. Drive or walk.

I like this place:

21025863_P00.jpg
21025863_P03.jpg

21025863_P06.jpg
21025863_P07.jpg

Maybe I need to rethink Marin.

lefty

One thing to think about in Marin is a lot of those wooded lots, particularly ones covered in Redwoods as in the pic, can be coldish and foggy all year round. Take care to notice the exposure (souther, northern) and if it is on the bottom of a canyon. Those trees block out a **** load of light and while living among them can have an awesome sylvan feeling the lack of light and perpetual dampness can be trying.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
i like this tepid boosterism. you're like the david duke of SF.

Eh? That list of observations wasn't boosterism.

But run with it if it makes you feel good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads