• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official new iPhone 4

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
when did you move to LA?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
case closed

What exactly is your case, that me not living in L.A. invalidates a third party nationwide test of cell phone carriers? Or that it invalidates any problems that the Apple iPhone 4 may have with reception?

Because that's a stupid case.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
smack.gif

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Men used to argue about cars, now it's phones, which is awesome because I ******* hate cars.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Men used to argue about cars, now it's phones, which is awesome because I ******* hate cars.

I'll only argue when I'm right.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Listen, if you are going to be an asshole, I'm going to go get some toilet paper. Why don't you try to have a conversation like a civilized ******* human being once in a while.? Boo hoo, you don't believe in science. I apologize for posting logic that explains your problem in depth. From now on I'll just insult people who disagree with me. Just like you.
How did I insult you here?
Originally Posted by Rambo
That's a load of crap. You can't get signal for **** when you're downtown in NY with AT&T. I can't get signal for **** when I'm downtown here with Sprint or AT&T. God forbid I walk into a building. I have to hug the walls and windows like I'm a possible jump risk.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
How did I insult you here?
Well, first off you led off your reply to me by saying that everything I just said was bullshit. Even though it wasn't. I dunno, you just seem to be a dick and you want to put me on the defensive right away. Not sure why.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well, first off you led off your reply to me by saying that everything I just said was bullshit. Even though it wasn't. I dunno, you just seem to be a dick and you want to put me on the defensive right away. Not sure why.
No, your statistics were correct. Your implied conclusions were bullshit. I am a dick. I don't want to put you on the defensive. You do a pretty good job of putting yourself there.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
No, your statistics were correct. Your implied conclusions were bullshit. I am a dick. I don't want to put you on the defensive. You do a pretty good job of putting yourself there.

So, the FACT that there are many things that are beyond the carriers control that affect signal strength, (such as building interference) which you agree to be true - and my implication that perhaps one of these OTHER things may be to blame for a lack of signal, when what nearly everyone in the past couple pages is describing is something other than what is specifically AT&T's control, such as the aforementioned building interference (Can't get signal downtown, can't get signal inside building, etc) is bullshit? Sorry, I fail to see how this is a faulty conclusion. Have you tried purchasing a signal repeater, an antenna booster, or trying to make a call from the roof? If you can make a call from outside the building, or from the roof, then there is a signal. If you get a Verizon signal inside a building where there is no AT&T signal, someone has likely installed a signal repeater in the building that is attenuated for a Verizon signal. Multi frequency repeaters are very expensive, and it's up to whoever bought the repeater to set or select the frequency they want. This doesn't have anything to do with Verizon's signal strength or coverage, as like I said, in the major metro areas, all of the major carriers have overlapping near 100% coverage. Only in rural areas does coverage really become a factor.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
So, the FACT that there are many things that are beyond the carriers control that affect signal strength, (such as building interference) which you agree to be true - and my implication that perhaps one of these OTHER things may be to blame for a lack of signal, when what nearly everyone in the past couple pages is describing is something other than what is specifically AT&T's control, such as the aforementioned building interference (Can't get signal downtown, can't get signal inside building, etc) is bullshit? Sorry, I fail to see how this is a faulty conclusion. Have you tried purchasing a signal repeater, an antenna booster, or trying to make a call from the roof? If you can make a call from outside the building, or from the roof, then there is a signal. If you get a Verizon signal inside a building where there is no AT&T signal, someone has likely installed a signal repeater in the building that is attenuated for a Verizon signal. Multi frequency repeaters are very expensive, and it's up to whoever bought the repeater to set or select the frequency they want. This doesn't have anything to do with Verizon's signal strength or coverage, as like I said, in the major metro areas, all of the major carriers have overlapping near 100% coverage. Only in rural areas does coverage really become a factor.
The implication was that the carrier only has to provide a nebulous coverage and it works where it works and it doesn't where it doesn't. I disagree with this. Its the carrier's job to provide coverage in said area. The fact that there are "obstacles" in the way of the signal should in no way detract from this. If the coverage only works on the streets, or only when outside, its not really coverage is it? I mean in real world terms. That's essentially what you were implying. Also, you were using your own personal experience, the same thing you **** on Jet for doing, as proof positive of your good experience with the carriers.
If we are using personal experiences as proof of how good a network is, I had AT&T for nearly 12 years and have had maybe 5 dropped calls ever. Have had as many since I switched to T-Mobile as I have since 1998 with AT&T. Have always had signal where nobody else did, including Verizon. So there. There are a whole host of things that can cause bad reception. It's not usually the carrier. Most carriers, especially in metro areas have nearly 100% coverage. http://www.deadzones.com/2010/07/top...on-issues.html

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The implication was that the carrier only has to provide a nebulous coverage and it works where it works and it doesn't where it doesn't. I disagree with this. Its the carrier's job to provide coverage in said area. The fact that there are "obstacles" in the way of the signal should in no way detract from this. If the coverage only works on the streets, or only when outside, its not really coverage is it?
Regardless of whether you believe this to be appropriate or not, that's how it is. To the best of my knowledge cell carriers are not paying buildings to install signal repeaters. You are saying they should?
I mean in real world terms. That's essentially what you were implying.
I'm not implying anything. That's how it IS. You cannot just wish that cell signals will all of a sudden penetrate a steel pan with a concrete filler/rebar wall in a large area filled with such buildings. It's not going to happen.
Also, you were using your own personal experience, the same thing you **** on Jet for doing, as proof positive of your good experience with the carriers.
I think you need to re-read what I wrote. A: I didn't **** on Jet for doing anything. And B: I posted my "personal experience" because personal experience is largely irrelevant to whether or not it's any particular carrier's fault that you can't get a signal. You must have missed that point. Your personal experience may be that you can never get a signal on your iPhone. That may or may not have anything to do with AT&T at all. In most metro areas, it probably has nothing to do with the carrier not providing signal. It may have everything to do with your phone. Or the fact that the building you are in blocks cell signals. That is the entire point. If you wrap a lead blanket around yourself and then ***** that AT&T can't push a signal through it, how is that AT&T's fault? And like it or not, a big enough concrete and rebar structure is exactly like a lead blanket in regards to it's effect on a cell signal. Cell carriers do not factor into building code. It's up to the builder to factor it in, and sometimes they just don't. Or sometimes they do, and they choose to have a repeater support whatever network is chosen by the guy who pays for the building. Not the one you use. Nobody consults AT&T before they build a new skyscraper. Carriers are limited in the amount of radiation they can push out, they are limited to the number of towers they can have. They are limited by geography and reception is limited, in great part, by the cell phone itself. Some phones just have better antennas than others.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads