• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stevenvg
can anyone identify what leather this is? the cheaney representative told me from the model name that it is pig but it doesn't look like it at all..

camel maybe?

Looks like pig to me. What makes you think that the people who made it and have the information on file are wrong?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sum1else
I just got my RL Darltons. I am Wondering if the rubber on the bottom is replaceable without redoing the entire shoe. If so, then I wouldn't really need to get taps...

This is just a random image i found illustrating what im talking about
Thanks

If they even need it (from that picture, not sure if they do), you can just get the heels replaced. I don't think most of the rubber dovetail pieces can be replaced on their own easily, but the heel can be done easily and cheaply.

AEB A4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
I'd assume those were pants from a suit, although it might not be true. In any case, you can try any MTM place (like moderntailor.com) and they will be able to make you pants out of any fabric you choose.

I was hoping to avoid MTM due to prices but even so, I went on Modern Tailor and they didnt have the fabric. Ill keep looking around though. I sware I have seen the pants before but just cant remember where. Thanks for the help
cheers.gif

Newstyle

Reaction score
o I was wondering, as a 28 yr old college student who has no job, I have some extra funds right now and I was looking to buy some Alden Indy 403's. What are the opinions on me purchasing these boots or spending the money to get some quality pieces for my wardrobe? I have also been looking to get some quality shirts to layer under sweaters and some nice alternatives to jeans, maybe some wool pants and some corduroys. On the other hand I do not own a nice pair of shoes and feel like I would be lacking in that area of my wardrobe.

Zaarin

Reaction score
(Didn't know if I should post this in Men's Clothing or Denim/Streetwear so sorry in advance)

Business casual is the dress code at work. It's very laid back as in sneakers/chinos/whatever. Black slacks are rare. Cold snowy winter is coming up and I'm not sure what to wear. I'm going with a black sterlingwear peacoat, X pants and probably my brown LL Bean Katahdins.

1) Would brown boots & a black peacoat work? I don't know if the no brown & black together rule applies

2) What type of pants COULD I wear for the boots to work? Not black so then chinos in the winter? Black peacoat, chinos, brown boots? Would that work?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zaarin
(Didn't know if I should post this in Men's Clothing or Denim/Streetwear so sorry in advance)

Business casual is the dress code at work. It's very laid back as in sneakers/chinos/whatever. Black slacks are rare. Cold snowy winter is coming up and I'm not sure what to wear. I'm going with a black sterlingwear peacoat, X pants and probably my brown LL Bean Katahdins.

1) Would brown boots & a black peacoat work? I don't know if the no brown & black together rule applies

2) What type of pants COULD I wear for the boots to work? Not black so then chinos in the winter? Black peacoat, chinos, brown boots? Would that work?

It's not clear whether you already have the black peacoat. If not, navy is a much better choice. If not, wearing brown boots with them is probably not the worst thing in the world. Get some moleskin or corduroy trousers in earth tones (taupe, brown, olive, etc) for winter.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
How difficult is it for a tailor to shorten the arms with functional buttonholes?

Is it going to be an expensive alteration?

The sleeve has to be detached and shortened from the shoulder so it is a more time-consuming and difficult alteration than shortening it from the other end. It's also more expensive. Exact pricing depends on the tailor, of course.

Newstyle

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with Ralph Lauren classic fit shirts? I'm 5'8 and 150lbs athletic build. Will this shirt in a small be billowy on me?

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ajv
those gloves won't need any special care, just use your usual conditioner sparsely.

Adrian

Thanks Adrian.

I been using Absorbine's Horseman's One Step Leather Cleaner and Conditioner for my more common variety leather gloves, but I am not sure if its suitable for Peccary. It seems far more frail and I worry the wrong condition will harden it and make it lose its suppleness.

What conditioner do you use/suggest?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by djibouti
5160227909_fee1a51268_z.jpg
Any thoughts/opinions on this antique croc or alligator gladstone?

Quite nice. Some reconditioning (on both leather and hardware) will definitely bring out its best.

IronRock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by djibouti
5160227909_fee1a51268_z.jpg

Any thoughts/opinions on this antique croc or alligator gladstone?

I think you should sell it to me... It's freaking awesome! As bove, condition and some careful brasso and you're set.

Originally Posted by Zaarin

Some slightly looser cut mid grey flannel trousers and/or Moleskin in (as above) earthy colours to go with the brown boots, forget abt chinos/black trousers. Decent brown chunky leather belt to match the boots. Agree that Navy ble peacoat would be better bu no dramas with a black one. Shirtwise go for a more substantial cotton to go with the trousers, button down colour. Job done.

IronRock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stevenvg
can anyone identify what leather this is? the cheaney representative told me from the model name that it is pig but it doesn't look like it at all..

camel maybe?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

oink oink

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads