• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Gome,

How did you like the Centine?

it's fine, nothing particularly special, but it was a good option to have at the party.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my tickets to Pinot Days for this Saturday! The GF and I are going for our 4 year Anniversary. Now if we could only find a Hotel room for $99!
ffffuuuu.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
Just got my tickets to Pinot Days for this Saturday! The GF and I are going for our 4 year Anniversary. Now if we could only find a Hotel room for $99!
ffffuuuu.gif

Very cool, P&A. Will be expecting pics and reports.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Had a 2007 Pallieres Gigondas tonight. Big tannins on this one. Really too much for my palate. Has some nice fruit underneath I think, but it's really hard to tell. Also has a petroleum tinge to it as well. Wonder if more bottle time will help this? Probably will soften some of the tannins. Hard to understand the RP 94 rating on this one at this point.

OK. This wine is a LOT more balanced out on night 2. I can actually taste the fruit. Lots of body to the wine. Fairly long finish. Not sure it's my favorite, but it's such an improvement over last night that I'm prepared to give it another try.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK. This wine is a LOT more balanced out on night 2. I can actually taste the fruit. Lots of body to the wine. Fairly long finish. Not sure it's my favorite, but it's such an improvement over last night that I'm prepared to give it another try.

It's our most oft drunk wine at home now - the 04 to 06s have all drunk beautifully and not required a days airing. I haven't cracked open the 07 yet, but I bought a case of the Racines on the strength of previous years and forum member recommendations.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Wait, you guys are drinking the 06 and 07 already?
confused.gif
When I was given a bottle of it, I was told it could last for 40 years if I wanted it to. And the guy was being serious (and knows his wine).

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
confused.gif
When I was given a bottle of it, I was told it could last for 40 years if I wanted it to. And the guy was being serious (and knows his wine).

I was going off some of the reviews that talked about how well it was drinking now, so I gave it a run. '07 was a big vintage in the Rhone, so I suspect that this one may be more age worthy than others. No one should take anything I say about wine as anything other than my uneducated impressions. I'll probably stick the other bottle I got in the fridge and let it sleep a while longer.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
confused.gif

I was going off some of the reviews that talked about how well it was drinking now, so I gave it a run. '07 was a big vintage in the Rhone, so I suspect that this one may be more age worthy than others. No one should take anything I say about wine as anything other than my uneducated impressions.

I'll probably stick the other bottle I got in the fridge and let it sleep a while longer.

I think KL said it was drinking well now but will last several decades. 07 is a monster year for Rhone wines - I've got pallieres racines, vieux telegraphe and ch de beaucastel all by the case for that vintage...
blush.gif

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tattersall
I think KL said it was drinking well now but will last several decades. 07 is a monster year for Rhone wines - I've got pallieres racines, vieux telegraphe and ch de beaucastel all by the case for that vintage...
blush.gif

I have a case of the Vieux Telegraphe for both '07 and '08. I will say, that I've had three or four bottles of the '07 VT and it's effing amazing. But it's also double the price of the Pallieres.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Very cool, P&A. Will be expecting pics and reports.

You can count on it! 60 wineries and over 300 Pinot's...you may have to forgive my photos towards the end
laugh.gif

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a case of the Vieux Telegraphe for both '07 and '08.

I will say, that I've had three or four bottles of the '07 VT and it's effing amazing. But it's also double the price of the Pallieres.

07 is epic and 09 is apparently drinking well too... I like the http://www.therhonereport.com/ for updates on vintages and producers from my favorite region.

I've only tried one of the 07 VT's and it was superb. La Roquete is another one to try from 07 which you will find at much less than VT.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
tatter, that is a great link. On my "to read" list.

Last night, had another 07 Hanna Chard, RRV. Such a great weekday drinker @ $15.

Speaking of Rhones, will be tasting a bunch of Paso Rhone style in a couple of nights.

Edit: Just found the menu for the tasting dinner:

Reception

Shrimp & Grits
Buffalo Chorizo Empanada
Chipotle Spiked Sweet Potato Bisque
Lobster Taco

1st Course

Brioche Crusted Halibut, Kabucha Puree, Rose Petals, Arugula Salad

2nd Course

Seared Duck Breast, Shallot Puree, Caramelized Orange Jus, Hazelnut-Apple Salad

3rd Course

Saddle Of Lamb, Raisin-Grain Mustard Jam
Parsnip-Stilton Puree, Fava Beans

Dessert

Fig Spice Cake, Strawberry Jam, Roasted Plum Sherbet, Manjari Chocolate Sauce

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tattersall
La Roquete is another one to try from 07 which you will find at much less than VT.

Here's a review of the 2007 Domaine La Roquete - you should be able to find this for between $30-$40 or roughly half of Vieux Telegraphe. It's not as seductive a wine but I've found it to be very very good.

Domaine La Roquete 07 CDP Rouge 750ml
"The 2007 Châteauneuf-du-Pape (70% Grenache, 20% Syrah, and 10% Mourvèdre aged one year in wood foudres and a second year in wood cuves) boasts beautiful density and purity as well as stunning aromatics and a full-bodied, multi-textured style. The freshness and vibrancy achieved because of the cool, exceptionally dry growing season is well-displayed in the beautiful, almost Burgundian-like perfume, but the wine possesses the strength, power, and substance of a southern Rhône. Drink it over the next 15+ years."
- Robert Parker, The Wine Advocate #179, Oct 2008 90-93 points
Originally Posted by Piobaire
tatter, that is a great link. On my "to read" list.

Last night, had another 07 Hanna Chard, RRV. Such a great weekday drinker @ $15.

Speaking of Rhones, will be tasting a bunch of Paso Rhone style in a couple of nights.

Edit: Just found the menu for the tasting dinner:

Reception

Shrimp & Grits
Buffalo Chorizo Empanada
Chipotle Spiked Sweet Potato Bisque
Lobster Taco

1st Course

Brioche Crusted Halibut, Kabucha Puree, Rose Petals, Arugula Salad

2nd Course

Seared Duck Breast, Shallot Puree, Caramelized Orange Jus, Hazelnut-Apple Salad

3rd Course

Saddle Of Lamb, Raisin-Grain Mustard Jam
Parsnip-Stilton Puree, Fava Beans

Dessert

Fig Spice Cake, Strawberry Jam, Roasted Plum Sherbet, Manjari Chocolate Sauce

Sound good - keep us posted!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads