• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cordings of piccadilly

jnm23q

Reaction score
ralphwho - using your logic I suppose you think most of the other shops on, or near Piccadilly must also be full of tourists?

e.g. Hilditch and Key, Turnbull and Asser, Crockett and Jones on Jermyn St, Kiton on Clifford St, Swaine Adeney on St James St

Most tourists are not interested in these shops, or in Cordings - they will only flock to LV, Prada, Boss and the like, the ones that have the massive billboard ads and double page spreads in Vogue

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jnm23q
Most tourists are not interested in these shops, or in Cordings - they will only flock to LV, Prada, Boss and the like, the ones that have the massive billboard ads and double page spreads in Vogue
And if past experience in other Continental cities are anything to go by, they will mostly be Chinese tourists.

ralphwho

Reaction score
ralphwho - using your logic I suppose you think most of the other shops on, or near Piccadilly must also be full of tourists?

e.g. Hilditch and Key, Turnbull and Asser, Crockett and Jones on Jermyn St, Kiton on Clifford St, Swaine Adeney on St James St

Last saturday the C&J shop in Jermyn st was so full that they had it locked for some periods of time to allow for people to get out and avoid a riot. I found it amazing, since the other C&J shop about 200 m away was empty. True it was not full of chinese but clearly not people who know their way around london.

By the way I am not happy with my new C&J Wigmores. They seem too flimsy and as someone said -i think- in the end the 360 last is not flatering for someone on 10.5 like me. too slim

I have a pair of Cleverley badged handgrade C&J Weymouths courtesy of Ede&Ros clearing as they dropped cleverley to go for C&J when some venture between them did not go through recently- despite the fact that they are all C&Js anyway- which i have not yet tried. They seem to be the true article. But from this experience I venture saying non-handgrade C&J << good old basic churchs

On the issue of H&K etc I think the pyjamas on the windows scare the chinese away- smells of communism- they sure as hell scare me since I am not 60 yet

It seems H&K, H&H make most of their money from pyjamas since they occupy most of the window space

H&K, T&A fetishists should admit that quality aside the most common shirts there look totally out of this time. Also T&A prices are probably driven by the need to pay 10 people to do nothing 85% of the time (almost empty shop), and annoy the hell out of you on the remaining 15%

By the way if you want a nice bespoke shirt for a reasonable price drop by italy-spain-port find a nice tailor and u will be doing great. In Italy most discerning (love the word) people have their own local tailor. In UK the situation is like that of coffee. Want an espresso go to Starbucks or Costa etc. In some countries you go to the local coffee shop and get what u really want

Ps-I am pleased to accept any prizes, idiot of the year, etc from SF members. I will cherish them for what they are worth -no more, no less

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"It seems H&K, H&H make most of their money from pyjamas since they occupy most of the window space" OK, you've won.
eh.gif
How old are you, 14? Oh to be 14 and to know it all again...

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ralphwho = Butter Jr.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlackShoes
Goodness, I normally require actually holding an item of clothing, and usually wearing it, in order to judge the quality a firm's offerings. You sir, have a gift.

Also, I did not know it was owned by the Clap, this changes my attitude towards shopping there.

In a positive or negative way?

Clapton can be a bit of a t...t sometimes...

Frog in Suit

Reaction score
I do not think Eric Clapton owns the shop.
He helped finance a buy-out by management and/or staff when the previous owners were trying to sell and there was a risk that the buyers would change Cordings into something else or close it down altogether. I should guess he is acting as a silent partner, perhaps with a bit of gentle guidance or encouragement to maintain the traditional quality and spirit.
There is a recent video of EC on the site : http://www.cordings.co.uk/eric-clapton.html .
Frog in Suit

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Frog in Suit
I do not think Eric Clapton owns the shop.
He helped finance a buy-out by management and/or staff when the previous owners were trying to sell and there was a risk that the buyers would change Cordings into something else or close it down altogether. I should guess he is acting as a silent partner, perhaps with a bit of gentle guidance or encouragement to maintain the traditional quality and spirit.
There is a recent video of EC on the site : http://www.cordings.co.uk/eric-clapton.html .
Frog in Suit

Silent partner?

It's better for them but I don't think they have any ethnics as customers anyway...

Bartolo

Reaction score
Cordings is definitely on my list of shops to visit when I'm in London next week.

Northampton Novice

Reaction score
Bought a pair of Cordings in bottle green and a pair of Viyella Cords in a very similar colour - both well made. Cordings quality v.good and on balance have the edge, customer service was satisfactory, layout of the shop has room for improvement.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ralphwho - using your logic I suppose you think most of the other shops on, or near Piccadilly must also be full of tourists? e.g. Hilditch and Key, Turnbull and Asser, Crockett and Jones on Jermyn St, Kiton on Clifford St, Swaine Adeney on St James St Most tourists are not interested in these shops, or in Cordings
This is one of the things I find oddest about London. In parts of the West End, there are thousands of tourists/acre. You would imagine that every street would be infested by dozens of them just by osmotic pressure. So you are struggling through this heaving crowd and contemplating such cultural wonders as EAT. But just before you decide to kill yourself, you step into a side street and find yourself in another world with not a tourist to be seen. Even more amazing, these streets often have much more interesting shops and restaurants. It's not necessarily obscure streets, either. Savile Row is often like this as is Jermyn Street. Pall Mall is always like this though I can see why this might be less interesting from a mass tourism perspective.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
This is one of the things I find oddest about London. In parts of the West End, there are thousands of tourists/acre. You would imagine that every street would be infested by dozens of them just by osmotic pressure.

So you are struggling through this heaving crowd and contemplating such cultural wonders as EAT. But just before you decide to kill yourself, you step into a side street and find yourself in another world with not a tourist to be seen. Even more amazing, these streets often have much more interesting shops and restaurants. It's not necessarily obscure streets, either. Savile Row is often like this as is Jermyn Street. Pall Mall is always like this though I can see why this might be less interesting from a mass tourism perspective.

Very true ...

Burlington arcade, Burlington gardens and Savile Row used to be great before Abercrombie opened a shop there...

Now it's full of Justin Biber's fan club members...

Geezer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Very true ...

Burlington arcade, Burlington gardens and Savile Row used to be great before Abercrombie opened a shop there...

Now it's full of Justin Biber's fan club members...

Don't get me started. Bad enough that Oswald Boateng has the old A and S shop. But I was in Piccadilly on Saturday. Lunch with the SO. She pops into Fortnums for some early Christmas shopping, I drop by Fosters to have some shoes re-soled. We stroll up the Arcade. At the bottom of the Row, she looks around and says "what on earth's that building?". I explain that it is A and F, and it it therefore attracts a 30-yard queue of marsupialed 17-year olds waiting to spend 80 quid on a t-shirt.

While Peter Capstick (who used to buy bloody elephant rifles there in NY in the 50s when it was a proper shop) is turning in his grave.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Geezer
Don't get me started. Bad enough that Oswald Boateng has the old A and S shop. But I was in Piccadilly on Saturday. Lunch with the SO. She pops into Fortnums for some early Christmas shopping, I drop by Fosters to have some shoes re-soled. We stroll up the Arcade. At the bottom of the Row, she looks around and says "what on earth's that building?". I explain that it is A and F, and it it therefore attracts a 30-yard queue of marsupialed 17-year olds waiting to spend 80 quid on a t-shirt.

While Peter Capstick (who used to buy bloody elephant rifles there in NY in the 50s when it was a proper shop) is turning in his grave.

I went in with my 17 year old niece and I was forced to stay there for a hour...

The place is dark and everything stinks their house perfumes...

The same inside..Queues for the dressing-room ,the tills and hundreds of parents being miserable as hell waiting for the little brats to spend 300 quids on two tee-shirts and a track suit bottom.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads