• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Persol 714 vs 649

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll second the opinion that the 54s are clownishly large. McQueen must have had a huge head. The ones I tried were as tall as my nose.

nurktwin

Reaction score
Another observation. These new McQueen Persol 714 reissues don't quite look the same from a shape of frame standpoint. The reissue frames look taller and differently shaped don't they?

8.jpg

persol.jpg

nurktwin

Reaction score
Here's a pic from the Sunglass Hut web site. Some guy trying on the new McQueen Special Edition Persols. This is the Havana frame / Blue lens model.
-10021285884989484.jpg

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
I'll second the opinion that the 54s are clownishly large. McQueen must have had a huge head. The ones I tried were as tall as my nose.

Mastroianni actually wore the 56s in Divorzio all'Italiana. Persol used to make 58s; big fuckin frames!
laugh.gif

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those blue lens look terrible.

artoftime

Reaction score
I have them in tortoise, Havana and black in 54 - just a weird shape that fits a face/head or doesn't.
I had the blue lenses swapped out in my black pair to smoke. Much better.

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know what size McQueen wore (and does anyone actually know for sure?) but they definitely don't look as large on him as those current size 54s.

I don't think Persol even had the same sizing back then anyway.

marcello-mastroianni2.jpg

Too big, IMO. McQueen's look better on him. I think it's a style that should fit fairly closely to the face.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by winston
I don't think Persol even had the same sizing back then anyway.

Rattis aren't listed by lens mm, they use a weird numerical sizing system. 649/2 is 52mm, 649/3 is 54 and so on. I can't recall what /1 is, might be the 49s

Clocky

Reaction score
I briefly owned a pair in 58mm. I had foolishly assumed that that meant they would fit similar to my 58mm Randolph aviators. The glasses were freakishly large, you'd have to be Andre the giant to have a head that size.

nurktwin

Reaction score
More photos of the new Havana / Blue McQueen model.
Persol-714s-Steve-McQueen-Special-Edition-4-640x292.jpg
persolstevemcqueen.jpg
steve-mcqueen-persol-714-sunglasses-2.jpg
steve-mcqueen-persol-714-sunglasses-7.jpg
Persol-714s-Steve-McQueen-Special-Edition-5-640x292.jpg

nurktwin

Reaction score
McQueen's variant: looks like the frame is slightly different in shape than what Sunglass Hut has "reissued." Notice how the upper corners "droop" more on the 60s variant. Definitely not an exact replica of the 60s model.
steve-mcqueen.jpg

Toivonen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xenos
Are those pics from the launch party supposed to be of the McQueen glasses with the blue lenses? If so, you can barely see any color at all in the lenses. Not sure why anyone would pay a premium for this model if they are barely differentiated from the regular models.

ahahahahaha
this operation it's quite ridicolous...
the only good think is the vintage look of the sticks(hope they let available as spare parts)

the lens are the same old 56 code that they had in their model list,the lens of the thomas crown affair were custom made....the 56 code lens are with a 90% mirror effect,the original ones were not....
the pair of the start of the movie are havana,and not light havana as they launched in the reissue

and,most of all,it's not true that the blue lens were the favourites of steve,even if in the starting sequences of the tca movie we can clearly see them....in the rest of the movie we can see also a brown pair....

nurktwin

Reaction score
There has not been a straight reissue of the 714 model that McQueen wore. First, he had several versions / frame colors. The blue lenses in Thomas Crown were apparently aftermarket lenses (installed by Dennis Roberts) and were never offered by Persol in blue back in the day. Even the reissue frame dimensions are off. The arrow on the frame hinge, while correctly folding, fails to mimic the correct arrow design. The frame dimensions are a bit off.

Here's a pic of one of McQueen's Persols in a light almost orange honey tortoise with what appear to be aftermarket blue lenses he had installed:

tumblr_l5ttxyxNbm1qzn1d3o1_500.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads