• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by potemkin_city_limits
Seriously? Is it really supposed to be some kind of secret? Its a store dude. Lots of people shop at them.

well yeah it is some are better then others,any thrifter will tell you you never give up your honeyhole.
yes lots of people do shop there,maybe couple know what they are doing though.

SLOB12

Reaction score
First time poster here:

I've been lurking on this forum for the last six months but I had developed a taste for thrifting for the last couple of years.

In six months I'm just barely getting a feel for being able to separate the wheat from the chaff while shopping, so to speak.

I agree with those who have said that it's all about persistence and sheer dumb luck at times. In my case, it's more the thrill of the hunt when I finally find something worthwhile, and the lack of rhyme or rhythym when going to thrift stores. There really seems to be no set pattern, and famine can follow famine and feast can follow feast.

The thing is I've enjoyed the process, which hopefully will keep me going during the lean times.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright man be that way.

Not cool bro. This has been discussed here many times. If you cared to READ the thread (does anyone do that anymore?) you'd see. Many of us feel that it was not a big deal in the past to communicate or share thifting spots. But, with the advent of ravenous flippers, etc., the consensus is that it is not fair to expect those who have labored to locate quality thifting locations to simply give them up to others who haven't put in the effort. Besides, as I've said before, a simple Google search or a brief look in the yellow pages should reveal all you need to know about thrift stores in your area. Good luck!

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RileyTheQuinn

Reaction score
This is my first post ever! (Background: 20 y/o university student in Toronto with some very difficult-to-fit sizes -- 15 neck, 34 arm -- and an addiction to slim fits.)

Part 1: Recent Braggables
Eremenegildo Zegna "Puro Cashmere" DB full length overcoat

Paul and Shark cardigan

Gloverall Duffel Coat (I know it's not Barbera, but it's still pretty nifty)

AE penny loafers

Untold dozens of ties (Ferragamo, Brooks Bros, English Sports Shop Bermuda, Hermes)

Soapstone Carving of a sea-goddess (Inuit)... had it appraised, and let's just say it was a damn good buy.

Brioni (Roma) blazer

Part 2: Pleas for Aid
I'm trying to get my hands on a leather bomber jacket, but I have no idea what the good makes are (other than the broadly good makes...). I have no idea, really, how to spot a good leather jacket.

I'm also trying to thrift some Attolini-calibre suits... like top of the top, slim fitting, etc. Is there a particular *kind* of store that would be more wont to have this than others? I've exhausted myself combing through Value Village and Goodwill (Toronto area), and somehow, I dont' think Kensington is the ticket.

Part 3: Thrilling Conclusion
There's my first post -- a little bragging + a double question. The consequences will never be the same.

vinasity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SLOB12
First time poster here:

I've been lurking on this forum for the last six months but I had developed a taste for thrifting for the last couple of years.

In six months I'm just barely getting a feel for being able to separate the wheat from the chaff while shopping, so to speak.

I agree with those who have said that it's all about persistence and sheer dumb luck at times. In my case, it's more the thrill of the hunt when I finally find something worthwhile, and the lack of rhyme or rhythym when going to thrift stores. There really seems to be no set pattern, and famine can follow famine and feast can follow feast.

The thing is I've enjoyed the process, which hopefully will keep me going during the lean times.

Originally Posted by RileyTheQuinn
This is my first post ever! (Background: 20 y/o university student in Toronto with some very difficult-to-fit sizes -- 15 neck, 34 arm -- and an addiction to slim fits.)

Paul and Shark cardigan

AE penny loafers

Untold dozens of ties (Ferragamo, Brooks Bros, English Sports Shop Bermuda, Hermes)

Soapstone Carving of a sea-goddess (Inuit)... had it appraised, and let's just say it was a damn good buy.

Brioni (Roma) blazer

I'm trying to get my hands on a leather bomber jacket, but I have no idea what the good makes are (other than the broadly good makes...). I have no idea, really, how to spot a good leather jacket.

I'm also trying to thrift some Attolini-calibre suits... like top of the top, slim fitting, etc. Is there a particular *kind* of store that would be more wont to have this than others? I've exhausted myself combing through Value Village and Goodwill (Toronto area), and somehow, I dont' think Kensington is the ticket.

There's my first post -- a little bragging + a double question. The consequences will never be the same.

Welcome aboard guys and have fun with hunt because you know we do.

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by randob300
Broke a very long dry spell, although to be honest, I haven't been going as often as I would like. Happy everything I bought is in great condition and fits nicely into my wardrobe.

Today's haul:

RPL double breasted in a light gray flannel. Has some of the nicest horn buttons I've seen and the previous owner even brought in the waist a few inches for me. Something I would never be willing to spend much money on because it's a bit flashy for work.

RPL dark grey 2-button herringbone. About as standard as you get.

Charcoal flannel with faint chalk strip BB Golden Fleece. I'm no big-timer, so this is probably the nicest fabric I have in a suit and the roll is awesome. Can't wait to get the pants hemmed and wear this one.

E. Zegna medium gray birdseye....exceptionally soft and thick. I usually prefer single vents, but the double on this seems to still work and not flap in the wind. Another fabric I probably wouldn't buy unless at a steep discount.

Also grabbed two Brioni ties, a Gucci (never thought I would wear Gucci, but I needed a red tie), a great J Press for spring, and six Hardy Ames wool ties. I love H.A. ties for the winter months and was happy to find these were all great color combinations, especially under sweaters.

Epic!
worship2.gif
worship2.gif
worship2.gif

Originally Posted by Nataku
While going over the Zegna Su Misura suits I bought yesterday, I found something a bit alarming The trousers with the solid charcoal suit were not the actual suit trousers, but were OTR odd trousers in a very similar color. So I got a cool pair of recent Zegna trousers. Cool. Now I'm stuck with an orphan suit jacket. Not cool. I went back to the store this morning and to my relief I found the trousers for the charcoal suit hanging on the rack. $5. Got those. Then I move down the line and find a super nice pair of charcoal flat-front Incotex wool trousers in my size. Also $5. Then I found another pair of Zegna Su Misura suit trousers. Navy with silver pinstripes. Sadly the jacket was nowhere to be found. Still, for another $5 I grabbed them in hopes that I will come across the jacket within the next week here.

You have apparently gathered up some split-suit karma. Will you please fly down here and accompany me to a couple of Goodwills? If I see one more Belvest, Oxxford, or Zegna orphaned suit jacket hanging next to Canali, RLPL, or HF suit pants I'm going to have to do the old flaming monk thing in the parking lot. Please, God, make them stop!

My advice to the new guys:
1) have patience
2) go often
3) learn the brands and/or learn how to tell quality
4) try not to be caught up in the rush when you do find something. An Oxxford with a couple of moth holes is not a good find. Maybe one out of 100 of us would actually spend the $100+ bucks to get it re-woven. As much as it hurts just leave it.
5) NEVER leave Kiton or RLPL. That stuff is pure gold on ebay: even the slightly damaged, out of date suff.
6) Even if it's in perfect shape you really shouldn't wear a 6 on 1 DB with massive shoulder pads and triple-pleated pants.
7) On the other hand, no one but one of us cares if it's unvented or double-pleated, as long as the rest of the coat's style is recent and the pants aren't baggy.
8) If a shoe doesn't fit there's no way to will it to fit.
9) If that suit is 2 sizes too small you're not ever going to lose the weight.
10) No; you really can't get away with wearing a long if you're 5'8", even if it is a BNWOT Etro.
11) Re-thrift your mistakes: I promise you that no one on the B&S is going to buy them. It'll just make you look like an idiot.
12) Don't give away your spots to anyone you don't trust - I gave away my former best spot to a guy on here who send me a sob-story PM. He was a
ffffuuuu.gif
flipper who nuked that place for over a year until he moved.
13) Don't be embarrassed to tell others that your stuff is thrifted. I get far more compliments over how little I paid than when I was just trying to impress people with the brands.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
^Good advice on all points. Most of the time--almost all the time--whether something is worth buying is immediately obvious (check condition very closely, though, don't get in a rush). If you find that you're trying to talk yourself into buying something then you probably need to leave it.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
Not cool bro. This has been discussed here many times. If you cared to READ the thread (does anyone do that anymore?) you'd see. Many of us feel that it was not a big deal in the past to communicate or share thifting spots. But, with the advent of ravenous flippers, etc., the consensus is that it is not fair to expect those who have labored to locate quality thifting locations to simply give them up to others who haven't put in the effort. Besides, as I've said before, a simple Google search or a brief look in the yellow pages should reveal all you need to know about thrift stores in your area. Good luck!

this.
i didnt wanna say anything to that comment he made so im glad you did.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RileyTheQuinn

Paul and Shark cardigan

AE penny loafers

Brioni (Roma) blazer

i might be interested in the paul shark cardigan,pm sent

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
this.
i didnt wanna say anything to that comment he made so im glad you did.

Sorry dude I really didnt think it would be aproblem to ask and then I over reacted to your response. Ive never actually thought about flipping stuff on ebay or wherever so it didnt seem out of place to ask since chances are we arent the same size or even looking for the same style of clothing.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Sorry dude I really didnt think it would be aproblem to ask and then I over reacted to your response. Ive never actually thought about flipping stuff on ebay or wherever so it didnt seem out of place to ask since chances are we arent the same size or even looking for the same style of clothing.

no problem,happy hunting may the thrift gods be with you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads