• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab
I REALLY, REALLY like the look of those.

Interesting. They look like cigar in the pic. Do you like the color?

Nice! Interesting pic!

I need to get something like this.

thank you

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
If they are better than Alden, even by a bit..why do you prefer Alden? Styling perhaps?

I want to try a pair of cap toe boots from C&J, but the turn off is the loop on the back of the shoes.
frown.gif

If you want them to be resoled by C&J themselves, you would have to send them back to England, no? Unless they have a satellite site in the states.

Putting aside the QC issues covered in this thread, I think Aldens are slightly higher quality than C&J, mainly in the leather used, at least compared to C&J benchgrade. Construction is basically the same, goodyear welted, dovetail heels. Both the calf and shell C&J uses gets scratches much more easily than Aldens or AEs.

I do liek C&J lasts better especially for sleeker dress shoes. And they provide a lot more choices for dress shoes, ALden more so for shell and boots.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
14432w7.jpg

ravello lhs

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
If they are better than Alden, even by a bit..why do you prefer Alden? Styling perhaps?

Styling and better shell offerings.

C&J seem to be a bit more refined and better finished. They also cost more than Alden at retail although there are plenty of sources which bring them down in price.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the 2 cents, fellas. I fear stumpling into a C&J thread (if there is one)...I don't think my wallet would be able to take it as I've already gone nuts on Alden from this thread.
biggrin.gif
frown.gif

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^ Consider Trickers while you're at it. Especially the Country Collection.

colins

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ltb
IMG_20101107_161034.jpg

phone pic - I think a nice camera may be on the Christmas list this year...

Which model are these? The Winn Perry's?

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
^ Consider Trickers while you're at it. Especially the Country Collection.
You guys are going to make me be super broke.
frown.gif
My Aldens so far. Next one is probably going to be the Winn Perry once they're in stock.
2jchnh4.jpg

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Thanks for the 2 cents, fellas. I fear stumpling into a C&J thread (if there is one)...I don't think my wallet would be able to take it as I've already gone nuts on Alden from this thread.
biggrin.gif
frown.gif

Banana and zippyh pretty much sum it up. Both C&J and Alden make very good shoes. Alden generally wins out in their boot make-ups and their shell is outstanding. C&J's lasts are slightly sleeker and more refined and they have a few particular RL models that get a lot of love in the States, namely the Darlton plain toe blucher in brown shell and the shell longwing. They also used to make a brown shell chukka (McCallum) that imo was much nicer than Alden shell chukkas, but that is a matter of taste and would be disputed by many, esp. on this thread.

I definately think it's worthwhile learning what C&J offers and trying on a few of their lasts to see what fits best (the shoes mentioned above are all on their classic 325 last but BB usually carries a few other lasts as well). It's just nice to have alternatives, esp. for specific style / leather combinations (You might prefer C&J's shell chukkas but Alden's longwings) and collect accordingly.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
p.s. That's a nice looking longwing. Is the boot 2nd from the right a pebblegrain?

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp
Banana and zippyh pretty much sum it up. Both C&J and Alden make very good shoes. Alden generally wins out in their boot make-ups and their shell is outstanding. C&J's lasts are slightly sleeker and more refined and they have a few particular RL models that get a lot of love in the States, namely the Darlton plain toe blucher in brown shell and the shell longwing. They also used to make a brown shell chukka (McCallum) that imo was much nicer than Alden shell chukkas, but that is a matter of taste and would be disputed by many, esp. on this thread.

I definately think it's worthwhile learning what C&J offers and trying on a few of their lasts to see what fits best (the shoes mentioned above are all on their classic 325 last but BB usually carries a few other lasts as well). It's just nice to have alternatives, esp. for specific style / leather combinations (You might prefer C&J's shell chukkas but Alden's longwings) and collect accordingly.

Thanks. Ironically enough, I don't like chukkas at all...lol.

I will hold off with Alden for now, until the Win Perry's release in April (I think). I will try a couple of others first.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bananananana
... I think Aldens are slightly higher quality than C&J, mainly in the leather used, at least compared to C&J benchgrade. Construction is basically the same, goodyear welted, dovetail heels. Both the calf and shell C&J uses gets scratches much more easily than Aldens or AEs.

I don't disagree with your assessment that C&J shells scratch more easily than Aldens, but it's not due to any material difference. They both use Horween shells. It seems like it must be due to different finishing methods.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zoinks. I have two cheaper brogues (paul smith shoes & loakes boots) and am trying to hold off buying another pair, but this thread isn't helping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads