• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aridhol
Thanks to Potemkin and Frenchy.

I didn't mean to come across as the lazy new guy who comes across as "teach me everything you learned from experience in 5 minutes" but I see how it looked.

If you are buying to sell, you can sell anything if you are good. If you are like me, and buying to wear, sometimes a no brand may fit well, excellent material and/or construction, and then it is a bargain.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
oh dont be so hard on the new guy,heres some tips (short version)
Brioni
isaia
kiton
attolini
tom ford
caruso these are the grails

stuff worth picking up
canali
zegna
etro

for suits look at canavassed items,the top of the line allways has working cuffs.
for shirts look at the buttons besides the brand (mother of pearl thick type)

ties
hermes (natch)
tom ford
brioni
kiton
dolcepunta
(anything seven fold)

shoes
Vass
Edward green
Peal & co
Lobb

this is a short vesrion but will get you started

I must be really bad. Many years of thrifting, I got a Hermes tie out of this list and one Zegna jacket. Need to work harder. A Vass in a thrift store! really?
worship.gif

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
Fair enough, but relying on a list like this only takes you so far. If I go out and find a Brioni jacket tomorrow, will it be anything to bother with if it's some gawdy example from 1983? I've come across a lot of items by brands on that list that I left behind because of such issues. That said, MOST of the time, if you find items on this list you'll be in good shape. But there are so many others (e.g., I don't see Oxxford, or Borrelli, or Cuccinelli up there), and bespoke as Nataku alluded to. Really, the best way, though not the quickest, to learn everything you could ever possibly need or want to know, is to read this thread in its entirety .... twice!
smile.gif

yeah but i think he was asking a coles notes version so he can hit the stores like tomorrow and have a bit of an idea,not the whole picture.listen ive been thrifing for about ten years and i still learn something (like the question i asked a few pages back about the EG shoes).
so yes he should read the thread but come on even if he read 3 hours a night it wil take him at least a week.
the guy wants to jump in who can blame him.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by catside
I must be really bad. Many years of thrifting, I got a Hermes tie out of this list and one Zegna jacket. Need to work harder. A Vass in a thrift store! really?
worship.gif

location+dumb luck+timing+persisitence=great finds

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lynch_king
Avoid designers like dior and YSL most of the stuff you would find is licensed, Burberrys made is USA junk, i've went through all the stuff i have thrifted over the months and recently found out it wasall licensed. that burberrys trench coat i had, made in USA licensed junk. so now im just going to start aiming at hugo boss type stuff that style forum hates all in all i probably should have left everything i have found, so be selective if its in a thrift store that means some one didn't want it. think of thrifting as shifting through garbage someone threw it away for some reason, it is your job to find out why and if you can deal with it, buy it
I think that most if not all of us started off in uncharted waters, thrifting items we thought were scores that turned out to be junk. In my case, most of it ended up re-thrifted. I have very few items at all that were thrifted in those early days. But that's also how you learn. Fortunately, it's such an inexpensive hobby that we can afford these "lessons". But when you get to the point that you can look at a Brioni shirt and say, "nah, I don't like it", because you already have a closet full, that's when you know things are ok. I have to laugh sometimes when I'm thrifting, looking at crap that I know I would have totally picked up a few years ago, but today just gets passed over.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
location+dumb luck+timing+persisitence+really rich guy who either dies or can afford to part with excellent condition EG's because they don't make it into his rotation of 500 pairs of bespoke shoes=great finds

^Fixed.

BamaHater

Reaction score
From the Gilt rack sale picked up a $188 Hugo Boss Selection suit and a $44 RLPL Belt.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by potemkin_city_limits
I assume that 90% of the nicer stuff I find is because some rich guy died. Unfortunately I live in Toronto so even the nicer stuff isnt really crazy high end.

uh dude so do i,this week alone Kiton suit,borrelli tie,huntsman jacket,peal & co shoes,6 pairs of Brioni pants,and about 10 items i didnt bother with

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for suits look at canavassed items,the top of the line allways has working cuffs.
not true....and please...
stopposting4eetv2.gif

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
I think that most if not all of us started off in uncharted waters, thrifting items we thought were scores that turned out to be junk. In my case, most of it ended up re-thrifted.

Very true. My first year I started thrifting, I wasted hundreds of dollars on stuff I thought was great because I had never heard of it, only to find out it was some obscure European version of Express/Gap. Everyone has been there.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
not true....and please...
stopposting4eetv2.gif

9/10 times yeah they do,whats your problem?
have you ever even seen a Kiton up close?

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by potemkin_city_limits
What stores are you hitting up man?

come on dude you cant ask a question like that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads