• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think I hate San Francisco.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
As a local I would just say sourdough is the stuff of tourist boards and rubes. Don't really see it hyped that much here.

And SF magazine.

Lefty, The Bay is what it is. All the bad things you mentioned are legit but it is still pretty awesome. Perhaps somewhat less so for those coming from a proper metro area but I really do love it. So does Matt despite his grumpiness.
If you can check out the East Bay or Marin. Better weather and nicer houses in the East Bay and better neighborhoods. Great weather in Marin and once you get a little West you get some wonderful outdoor/city living options.

I'm going to listen to you because you have excellent taste in dogs.

I was hoping for a loft but there only seems to be one area - SOMA - and the six I saw were pretty uninspiring. Honestly, I found every neighbourhood rather small and tired.

I did have dinner in Mill Valley (home of ** Hunnicut!) which seemed a little like the Hollywood Hills and maybe I can get a hipster doofus mid-century modern, but again, the waiter was a pain ********** who gave us his life story.

If I move there maybe I should use this for my avatar?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Pqpmm2T6j4g/SOGcJxMh9fI/AAAAAAAAET8/XAbJlvBr_lU/s320/**.jpg

Originally Posted by zjpj83
Hope you move again before the earthquake hits.

Wait, what?

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The worst thing about Marin, aside from the people, is the dearth of good restaurants.

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You seem like a very grumpy person. Go get yourself a Happy Meal.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, waitstaff in the Bay blow goats. Mill valley is nice, fairfax is a bit further out but also very nice. Ross is another spendy option in West Marin.Parts of San Rafael are also worth looking at if you like the looks of Marin. Really all the little towns kind of bleed into each other. Depending on your commute needs a place like woodland or fairfax can be great to live if you like a countryfied option with more access to open space. The commute can be a little bit of a ***** but plenty of people do it. Coming from the NYC greater metro area it is all a bit small. Just the nature of the thing. No matter what any local tries to tell themselves, LA and NYC are the two centers of the American Universe and all that entails, good and bad.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mbalder2
Kill yourself.
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
deep dish is great... but it gives you a food coma...
Listen, you guys can just stop getting all ******* defensive and aggro. I'm not from NY, I don't really give a **** if you eat pepperoni and cheese casserole all day. Chicago deep dish bears absolutely no resemblance to pizza, you're just going to have to be realistic and get over it. I'm not saying that it's not good, just that it takes more than similar ingredients to make something a pizza.
DmBuqcYR6js9vnbvxWltfIDQo1_500.jpg

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
You'll be happy to know that people here are really not friendly, and in the long run, quite cold. They get more detestable over time. I will quote what I wrote in another thread:

It's weird, when I was in high school, in the late '80s, we would come up to the city (I lived about 40 minutes south) and it seemed like an amazing place. There were all sorts of different people, black, latino, hippies, business types etc. It was cool. Now it is just a bunch of 30-45 year olds who say nothing but "I'm in finance, but I'm soooo into social justice. I'm totally going on a hike this weekend before I play volleyball down at Marina Green. I'm so stoked because I got a new custom fleece, and it will be perfect with my farty craft beer once we get to the end of our hike. I just wish I could embroider my fraternity letters along with "Hope and Change" on the inside."

It's probably because you are hanging around the equivalent of the private boxes at the Staple's Center. Yeah, there are lots of amenities, but everyone knows rafter seats have much more colorful characters.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As a local I would just say sourdough is the stuff of tourist boards and rubes. Don't really see it hyped that much here.

Lefty, The Bay is what it is. All the bad things you mentioned are legit but it is still pretty awesome. Perhaps somewhat less so for those coming from a proper metro area but I really do love it. So does Matt despite his grumpiness.
If you can check out the East Bay or Marin. Better weather and nicer houses in the East Bay and better neighborhoods. Great weather in Marin and once you get a little West you get some wonderful outdoor/city living options.

Yes, yes, yes. This is all true. That said, I came pretty close to opening fire in my local Whole Foods today. If I owned a gun I might have.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SF is great, unless you are trapped with a local who goes on and on about its greatness. Then it is intolerable.

I would hate to be financially middle class there. Must be brutal.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
It's probably because you are hanging around the equivalent of the private boxes at the Staple's Center. Yeah, there are lots of amenities, but everyone knows rafter seats have much more colorful characters.
Euphemism for people you generally don't want to be around imo... I went to the leafs game last month and had $200 seats and it was nice. Have box seats to a game next month. Being around colorful people is so overrated. I had nobody spilling beer on me or screaming in my ear. I was sitting next to two very milfy wimminz that made quite pleasant conversation with me.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read Matt's post and it really hit home. I moved from Westchester county (a few miles from New York City) in 1970 to the East Bay. I would go into San Francisco every chance I could. It was very cool and it had a positive, progressive spirit. NYC at the time was a real dump. I was very glad to get away. SF continued to be fun and highly creative for me until the mid 90's. Then, a new way of thinking dominated discussions in the Bay Area. It was all about getting rich quick with someones tech concept or impressing people that you were the most PC person on the planet. It had absolutely nothing to do with your true talents or what you offered. There were few passionate discussions about ones work. But, that is probably true in NYC, Boston, etc...... It just wasn't supposed to happen here.

But, all that being said, there are a ton of worse places to live than SF or the Bay Area. Don't drink Blue Bottle Coffee and don't buy a place built on land fill in SF. http://www.sciencedaily.com/articles...quefaction.htm

Originally Posted by iammatt
It's weird, when I was in high school, in the late '80s, we would come up to the city (I lived about 40 minutes south) and it seemed like an amazing place. There were all sorts of different people, black, latino, hippies, business types etc. It was cool. Now it is just a bunch of 30-45 year olds who say nothing but "I'm in finance, but I'm soooo into social justice. I'm totally going on a hike this weekend before I play volleyball down at Marina Green. I'm so stoked because I got a new custom fleece, and it will be perfect with my farty craft beer once we get to the end of our hike. I just wish I could embroider my fraternity letters along with "Hope and Change" on the inside."

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
But, all that being said, there are a ton of worse places to live than SF or the Bay Area. Don't drink Blue Bottle Coffee and don't buy a place built on land fill in SF. http://www.sciencedaily.com/articles...quefaction.htm

blue bottle is good coffee... its the obsessiveness to it that is the wet blanket.

there is good food in the bay area, especially seafood, but you have to find it.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester
SF is great, unless you are trapped with a local who goes on and on about its greatness. Then it is intolerable.

In all the time I lived there, and all the people I worked with and interacted with, I don't think I can come up with five people who were actually born and/or raised in San Francisco, and I struggle to come up with a dozen who were born/raised within fifty miles of there. It's a strange place like that. It's hard to find someone who is actually from there.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I can believe that. By "local", I mean anyone who has been there long enough to drink the kool aid. Everyone I know in SF is from the east coast.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics