• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
the top of the line allways has working cuffs.
Not always true. This is a major personal preference. Most functional cuff buttons I've seen were on MTM stuff. I have Brioni, Zegna, and Isaia suits/jackets that don't have functional cuffs. If you do find something with working cuffs though, chances are it's decent.
Originally Posted by potemkin_city_limits
You just get better at it with time. Even if there was a list of rules it would be useless until you actually went out and started checking out the stores yourself. Every city will have different brands that pop up more often than others so memorizing a list of 500 different random companies seems kinda useless if 450 of them may never actually end up anywhere near the city you live in.
This. Get out to your local stores as often as possible. For example, Kiton is so scarce around here that I've only found one item in my 8+ years of thrifting. With that said, I shouldn't write it off completely because other local thrifters have found Kiton stuff before. Still, get to know your area demographics and style. For example, I doubt you'll be finding Tom Ford, MMM or Dior Homme in the middle of North Dakota, but I'm sure you'll find Oxxford and some high quality local tailored stuff. Lots of cities have excellent tailors and shops that sell high-quality house label stuff. You won't find this stuff on a list.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
This. Get out to your local stores as often as possible. For example, Kiton is so scarce around here that I've only found one item in my 8+ years of thrifting. With that said, I shouldn't write it off completely because other local thrifters have found Kiton stuff before. Still, get to know your area demographics and style. For example, I doubt you'll be finding Tom Ford, MMM or Dior Homme in the middle of North Dakota, but I'm sure you'll find Oxxford and some high quality local tailored stuff. Lots of cities have excellent tailors and shops that sell high-quality house label stuff. You won't find this stuff on a list.

found another suit from Wayzata,a place called FOURS? (if i remember correctly)

cpmac7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
You wouldn't be the first.

Or, I suppose one of us who has read this thread can take time out of thrifting (and everything else we have to do in life) to summarize for you all 648 pages and 5 years worth of posts.

+100x

I know a lot of new people that come to the site and use this thread as a resource to figure out what brands are popular

aridhol

Reaction score
Thanks to Potemkin and Frenchy.

I didn't mean to come across as the lazy new guy who comes across as "teach me everything you learned from experience in 5 minutes" but I see how it looked.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Not always true. This is a major personal preference. Most functional cuff buttons I've seen were on MTM stuff. I have Brioni, Zegna, and Isaia suits/jackets that don't have functional cuffs. If you do find something with working cuffs though, chances are it's decent.

every single Kiton,Brioni and Isaia i have ever had (about 18 pieces total) has had surgeon cuffs...Zegna only the swiss made stuff.
just my personal experience though

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
found another suit from Wayzata,a place called FOURS? (if i remember correctly)

Foursome? Yep - they're a local clothier. They sell mid-tier stuff like Polo RL, Scott barber, Tommy Bahama, Allen Edmonds, Cole Haan, etc. I come across a lot of their custom-made stuff. They've actually moved. After being in Wayzata since 1935 (and in the same mall since the late 60's), they've moved to Plymouth, about 10 minutes away.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aridhol
Thanks to Potemkin and Frenchy.

I didn't mean to come across as the lazy new guy who comes across as "teach me everything you learned from experience in 5 minutes" but I see how it looked.

you will find if you go through the thread from page 1 that its actually quite fun rather then tedious.

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you will find if you go through the thread from page 1 that its actually quite fun rather then tedious.
I found it quite difficult at first because I would get through like 20 to 30 pages at a time before I wanted to bike around to the local stores to check for new suff.
smile.gif

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by potemkin_city_limits
I found it quite difficult at first because I would get through like 20 to 30 pages at a time before I wanted to bike around to the local stores to check for new suff.
smile.gif

thats why u gotta look after the stores close hehe,wait you biked over?
what if you had found like 20 brioni suits? i hope you have a basket in the front

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Just a reminder that you can actually wear this stuff. A primarily thrifted ensemble today.

Luciano Barbera Collezione Sartoriale suit
Zegna shirt
Brooks Brothers tie
Trafalgar Limited Edition braces (unseen)

img2945g.jpg

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aridhol
I seem to have touched some nerve and I apologize. I was just curious if someone had already done something like that or had seen a guide on another site. I do intend to read the thread.

I wouldn't say that you touched a nerve. It's just that you could probably learn more in reading this thread for just one hour, than anyone is going to be able to explain to you in a post or two. I think it's been repeated here many times, that this is the beauty of this thread. Frankly, I can't imagine why you wouldn't WANT to read the whole thing.

cpmac7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Just a reminder that you can actually wear this stuff. A primarily thrifted ensemble today.

Luciano Barbera Collezione Sartoriale suit
Zegna shirt
Brooks Brothers tie
Trafalgar Limited Edition braces (unseen)

img2945g.jpg

I like the tie..... how much?
devil.gif

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh dont be so hard on the new guy,heres some tips (short version) Brioni isaia kiton attolini tom ford caruso these are the grails stuff worth picking up canali zegna etro for suits look at canavassed items,the top of the line allways has working cuffs. for shirts look at the buttons besides the brand (mother of pearl thick type) ties hermes (natch) tom ford brioni kiton dolcepunta (anything seven fold) shoes Vass Edward green Peal & co Lobb this is a short vesrion but will get you started
Fair enough, but relying on a list like this only takes you so far. If I go out and find a Brioni jacket tomorrow, will it be anything to bother with if it's some gawdy example from 1983? I've come across a lot of items by brands on that list that I left behind because of such issues. That said, MOST of the time, if you find items on this list you'll be in good shape. But there are so many others (e.g., I don't see Oxxford, or Borrelli, or Cuccinelli up there), and bespoke as Nataku alluded to. Really, the best way, though not the quickest, to learn everything you could ever possibly need or want to know, is to read this thread in its entirety .... twice!
smile.gif

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Just a reminder that you can actually wear this stuff.

A good thing to note. My wardrobe is about 90% thrifted, 10% stuff bought on steep discount.

Originally Posted by 83glt
Frankly, I can't imagine why you wouldn't WANT to read the whole thing.

Indeed. Whenever I'm in a slump, I'll usually go back and re-read this thread for inspiration. Even when I'm bored, I'll sometimes click a random page way back and look back at what cool stuff was found.

lynch_king

Reaction score
everyone is telling you to re-read the thread. but what they are failing to mention is where i personally fucked up.

Avoid designers like dior and YSL most of the stuff you would find is licensed, Burberrys made is USA junk, i've went through all the stuff i have thrifted over the months and recently found out it wasall licensed.

that burberrys trench coat i had, made in USA licensed junk.

so now im just going to start aiming at hugo boss type stuff that style forum hates

i also have a made in italy zegna suit that does not have the surgeon cuffs

all in all i probably should have left everything i have found, so be selective if its in a thrift store that means some one didn't want it.

think of thrifting as shifting through garbage

someone threw it away for some reason, it is your job to find out why and if you can deal with it, buy it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads