• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How often do you cry?

dave333

Reaction score
Held back tears for Toy Story 3 and other touching moments.

Otherwise I have not cried much at all. Kinda worries me sometimes lol, there are times when others cry and I don't and I wonder if I'm lacking emotion.

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cried yesterday on the 80. birthday of my aunt. my uncle, retired ceo of an insurance company, lion's club and town council member now has alzheimer ..

skywalker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dave333
Held back tears for Toy Story 3 and other touching moments.

Otherwise I have not cried much at all. Kinda worries me sometimes lol, there are times when others cry and I don't and I wonder if I'm lacking emotion.

When all the toys were holding hands and near death?

Saul Silver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
somehow I find it really difficult to cry. i just can't bring myself to cry, even though there are plenty of times in my life when i probably should.

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i cried in a dream

Im 22 and one of my bfs died last year when he was 20. It was in a dream and he 'didn't answer me' Like a god damn baby

Other than that? Many, many years, probably only when i lost my virginity

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phreak
i cried in a dream

Im 22 and one of my bfs died last year when he was 20. It was in a dream and he 'didn't answer me' Like a god damn baby

Other than that? Many, many years, probably only when i lost my virginity

wet dream fail

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
theres only 3 reasons for a man to cry,EVER:
1 daughter gets married
2 dog dies3 you get kicked in the balls

sporting events do not count pussies!!!!!!!!

Come to think of it, I cry more when I lose a pet than when I lose a friend or relative.

Sherlockian

Reaction score
Honestly, not since I was in my early teens. I've been pretty choked up at funerals and stuff since, but there's always that "knife edge", tipping point feeling of shame at being a wuss that holds me back. How terribly British of me.

And yes, I am totally in denial, wound tight like a drum and on the verge of being batshit-crazy. Even I can see that the bravado is doing me no good in the long term.

I'm still kinda surprised when I hear men say they cry semi-regularly, though. Do you really have that much pain in your lives?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sherlockian
Honestly, not since I was in my early teens. I've been pretty choked up at funerals and stuff since, but there's always that "knife edge", tipping point feeling of shame at being a wuss that holds me back. How terribly British of me.

And yes, I am totally in denial, wound tight like a drum and on the verge of being batshit-crazy. Even I can see that the bravado is doing me no good in the long term.

I'm still kinda surprised when I hear men say they cry semi-regularly, though. Do you really have that much pain in your lives?

I suspect that many SF posters are like you. I certainly was until only a short time ago. I would hold back tears during sad films and would almost never cry for personal reasons. I failed to cry at the last two funerals I went to, and not for lack of trying.

About your last statement - "Do you really have that much pain in your lives?" - No, not necessarily at the moment. But at our age (i.e. not children anymore, grown adults with jobs), it is really about getting the emotional build-up from previous experiences out. The stuff that was never expressed and was built up within. It's not like something terrible happens to me daily. But there is a lot of **** I never processed and never confronted and its buried inside. If you don't confront those things and get them out of the way, you will be emotionally blocked from the present as well.

Realizing this, and having read a lot about it, I decided to start actively focusing on things that I feel guilt, shame, or sadness about and reliving them in my head to get myself to cry. And by the way, I'm not even talking about really bad things like child abuse or witnessing something terrible as a child - to my best knowledge I had a pretty nice childhood, but if you do have those issues bottled up, all the more reason to do this or see a therapist. If you are a person that cries relatively often and has confronted all of the bad stuff from their past fully, then you do not need to do this I suppose. But I pretty much ignored everything emotional in my life for a decade and was just an emotionally dead man walking. Not how I want to lead the rest of my life, bravado aside.

Funny enough, but over that same last decade, I've noticed that whenever I smoked weed and ended up being by myself still stoned (intermittently - I was never a pothead), I got really thoughtful and "sober". As in, I would get fixated on parts of my life that I felt guilty about and think about them in depth and with focus. The weed somehow changed my plane of focus to a little further under the surface of consciousness. A litmus test is if I have bad feelings about it when thinking about it while stoned, I have unresolved emotional issues with it. If I do not feel negative emotions about it, I don't have issues with it. When I was literally sober, I would never spend more than a fleeting shallow moment thinking about these things (probably to avoid negative feelings).

This is why I'm considering picking up weed again (with a vaporizer to avoid lung damage). I want to smoke by myself once a week, focus on a list of issues I've written out, and get myself to cry it out. Then I write about it. When I am no longer high, I read through what I wrote along with action-items I should do in my life to change course. It's worked pretty well so far and it keeps me grounded on a weekly basis so I don't go months or years without remembering what the important things in my life are. Luckily I have the least addictive personality of anyone I know, so I have zero fear of getting psychologically addicted.

There are other ways to do this...psychotherapy, meditation (but not nearly as immediate results), some recently scientifically developed breathing techniques. Doesn't matter how you do it, it just matters that you get there somehow. If you want to. I didn't really recognize this as a problem until recently. A lot of things happened at once to make me realize I was emotionally locked up / shallow. If you cry less than a few times a year, you likely are as well, whether you want to admit to it or not.

Anyway, that's just my take.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With that said, I almost feel worried about those who voted "Daily".

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cried for a couple brief minutes when my grandfather died this year, but my grandmother and uncle both died within a few months prior to that, and no tears for them. I think I just didn't expect my grandfather to pass, it caught me off guard, whereas I expected it with my grandmother (many strokes) and uncle (cancer).

Other than that, I do not cry except at specific movie instances, usually having to do with an old person losing their spouse of many decades. I wept a little at Rocky, when he was going around remembering his times with Adrian, and at the opening scenes of Up. I don't think movies really count, though, they use rather calculated manipulative devices.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I suspect that many SF posters are like you. I certainly was until only a short time ago. I would hold back tears during sad films and would almost never cry for personal reasons. I failed to cry at the last two funerals I went to, and not for lack of trying.

About your last statement - "Do you really have that much pain in your lives?" - No, not necessarily at the moment. But at our age (i.e. not children anymore, grown adults with jobs), it is really about getting the emotional build-up from previous experiences out. The stuff that was never expressed and was built up within. It's not like something terrible happens to me daily. But there is a lot of **** I never processed and never confronted and its buried inside. If you don't confront those things and get them out of the way, you will be emotionally blocked from the present as well.

Realizing this, and having read a lot about it, I decided to start actively focusing on things that I feel guilt, shame, or sadness about and reliving them in my head to get myself to cry. And by the way, I'm not even talking about really bad things like child abuse or witnessing something terrible as a child - to my best knowledge I had a pretty nice childhood, but if you do have those issues bottled up, all the more reason to do this or see a therapist. If you are a person that cries relatively often and has confronted all of the bad stuff from their past fully, then you do not need to do this I suppose. But I pretty much ignored everything emotional in my life for a decade and was just an emotionally dead man walking. Not how I want to lead the rest of my life, bravado aside.

Funny enough, but over that same last decade, I've noticed that whenever I smoked weed and ended up being by myself still stoned (intermittently - I was never a pothead), I got really thoughtful and "sober". As in, I would get fixated on parts of my life that I felt guilty about and think about them in depth and with focus. The weed somehow changed my plane of focus to a little further under the surface of consciousness. A litmus test is if I have bad feelings about it when thinking about it while stoned, I have unresolved emotional issues with it. If I do not feel negative emotions about it, I don't have issues with it. When I was literally sober, I would never spend more than a fleeting shallow moment thinking about these things (probably to avoid negative feelings).

This is why I'm considering picking up weed again (with a vaporizer to avoid lung damage). I want to smoke by myself once a week, focus on a list of issues I've written out, and get myself to cry it out. Then I write about it. When I am no longer high, I read through what I wrote along with action-items I should do in my life to change course. It's worked pretty well so far and it keeps me grounded on a weekly basis so I don't go months or years without remembering what the important things in my life are. Luckily I have the least addictive personality of anyone I know, so I have zero fear of getting psychologically addicted.

There are other ways to do this...psychotherapy, meditation (but not nearly as immediate results), some recently scientifically developed breathing techniques. Doesn't matter how you do it, it just matters that you get there somehow. If you want to. I didn't really recognize this as a problem until recently. A lot of things happened at once to make me realize I was emotionally locked up / shallow. If you cry less than a few times a year, you likely are as well, whether you want to admit to it or not.

Anyway, that's just my take.

tl;dnr

admit it metro, you're just a huge *****. Now go have a cry.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
tl;dnr

admit it metro, you're just a huge *****. Now go have a cry.

I can't whack off without weeping.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads