• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aventus today. Made a trade and got a generous decant. I've grown to really like it - Suede jacket sprayed with pineapple juice. Perhaps a tad unisex, but less so than Silver Mtn Water which IMHO belongs firmly in the chick camp.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
yeah, I'm in that camp with you. I've been trying to find a rose I like (apparently a rose by another name DOESN'T smell as sweet). that one I found rather peppery and it had a strong cumin note that bothered me, plus there was hardly any rose to be found!

I suggest you try Aramis 900 or Aromatics Elixir. They have prominent rose note but there's a lot of other stuff going on. Green, sophisticated, old fashioned in a good way.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yesterday, Bvlgari Black for a cold greyish day.
Today: John Varvatos.

I'm trying to work my way through the herd of bottles so nothing remains unused.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I suggest you try Aramis 900 or Aromatics Elixir. They have prominent rose note but there's a lot of other stuff going on. Green, sophisticated, old fashioned in a good way.

Thanks, I'll add these to the list. Aromatics, is that Clinique?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes - Bernarnd Chant is the perfumer. He did Azuree and Aramis and several of those 60's and 70's Lauder scents. I haven't actually tried Aromatics - I just know that it's supposedly basically the same as 900 but an edp rather than and edt. Aramis 900 in an edt (or is it edc?) is plenty strong enough for me, so AE might end up being too perfumey.

TintoTerra

Reaction score
I got my first 'taste' of a non-traditional scent yesterday in the form of Secretions Magnifiques. I like to think of myself as a bit of a connoisseur of the obscure and unusual so I was disappointed to find that my initial reaction on smelling this potent concoction was to quite literally recoil in disgust. Throughout the day the 'ghost' of the scent would catch my nostrils and I would feel repulsed. Except on two occaissions where it smelled strangely pleasant. Interesting and powerful in a scary magickal potion sort of way. I feel like I need to lock it away until the right moment when it should be summoned. Like 'accidentally' spilling 2.5 ml in a despised co-workers gym bag.
smile.gif

I was hoping for a sort of 'samurai on the field of battle, covered with sweat and bits of gore' type of smell. Instead I'm reminded of babies and open wounds. A fetid yellow smell with a secret pleasant heart.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Secretions Magnifiques for me today. I have a date tonight (I think) that I may have just ruined! Oh well, as the old saying goes, if you don't want my secretions magnifiques, then I don't want yours either.

EDIT: ^^^ I'm curious about what you mean by the baby smell. I think I know exactly what you mean by the open wounds part!

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
Secretions Magnifiques for me today. I have a date tonight (I think) that I may have just ruined! Oh well, as the old saying goes, if you don't want my secretions magnifiques, then I don't want yours either. EDIT: ^^^ I'm curious about what you mean by the baby smell. I think I know exactly what you mean by the open wounds part!
Maybe she just wants it in another place. Not every woman will like having your Secretions Magnifiques all over her body. Or her face.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Maybe she just wants it in another place. Not every woman will like having your Secretions Magnifiques all over her body. Or her face.

I think you may have just invented a brand new fetish: spraying Secretions Magnifiques onto or into all the parts of the body where Secretions Magnifiques shouldn't naturally go.

TintoTerra

Reaction score
Secretions Magnifiques for me today. I have a date tonight (I think) that I may have just ruined! Oh well, as the old saying goes, if you don't want my secretions magnifiques, then I don't want yours either.

EDIT: ^^^ I'm curious about what you mean by the baby smell. I think I know exactly what you mean by the open wounds part!

As I mentioned in an earlier post I am brand-new to the world of fragrances (barring buying random colognes in the past on female recommendation), so my olfactory vocabulary is probably limited.

I think the smell I'm getting is like regurgitated milk. Which reminds me of babies. Rather disturbing when you think of the other smells.
laugh.gif

Rose 31 for me today. I'm only smelling the dirty rose-ness so far. Will have to wear it for awhile to see if anything else develops in it.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TintoTerra
As I mentioned in an earlier post I am brand-new to the world of fragrances (barring buying random colognes in the past on female recommendation), so my olfactory vocabulary is probably limited.

I think the smell I'm getting is like regurgitated milk. Which reminds me of babies. Rather disturbing when you think of the other smells.
laugh.gif

Rose 31 for me today. I'm only smelling the dirty rose-ness so far. Will have to wear it for awhile to see if anything else develops in it.

A-ha. I have only a miniscule amount of experience with babies, so it never occurred to me to associate them with that sour milk note.

I expect that the Rose 31 will dry down into a strong sandalwood. To me, it's almost the Platonic form of a masculine scent.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me, it's almost the Platonic form of a masculine scent.
How dare you, sir. I'd agree with you if you were right...
smile.gif
Aventus, again-tus

Benzito

Reaction score
My wife tells me that Lacoste will send you a sample of a few of their scents if you go to their website. Who knows if this is a lot or a little.

And no, I don't work for the company or get a commission.

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I treated myself today to a 100ml of Aqua di Parma Colonia. (15% off at Holt Renfrew)

I sort of went in expecting to like CI (for some reason) but walked out with the classic original.

As I understand it, this one is famous for it's dynamic drydown. Halfway through day one, I can already appreciate this. It doesn't seem like anything "new" to me however - just a solid, everyday EdC. Today it seemed to evolve from Clinique Happy to Terre d'Hermes to Rive Gauche(!) to Dior Homme. My nose isn't trained to latch on to the florals very well (besides obvious rose notes). I'm not sure if the musky woods are coming yet. We'll see I suppose.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics