• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2lxun86.jpg

cigar indy boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonfoote303
It's not.
They're OK, but not made with welt construction so the support and comfort isn't on par.
I'd save up for the LHS in Cordovan. Yes, they're a lot more expensive but it would be the last loafer you ever have to buy.

Thanks. Looking closely I can see they are not welted. Unfortunate as I actually prefer the chunky style and high vamp. I may order them anyhow, as I'm looking at them like a beater shoe. BTW, your blog is a nice service and I may order a pair from Unionmade rather than Shoemart as sign of my appreciation for your efforts.

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1969
Thanks. Looking closely I can see they are not welted. Unfortunate as I actually prefer the chunky style and high vamp. I may order them anyhow, as I'm looking at them like a beater shoe. BTW, your blog is a nice service and I may order a pair from Unionmade rather than Shoemart as sign of my appreciation for your efforts.

Thanks!
I'm always glad to help people with Alden questions.

I think the beefrolls will be perfect for that type of shoe. They do have a much more vintage penny loafer look too...

BTW, nice picture of Marfa!

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2mexs0p.jpg

whiskey lhs

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by michaelw
2lxun86.jpg

cigar indy boots

I REALLY, REALLY like the look of those.
Originally Posted by number9dream
Here's my Ravello NSTs. The color is actually darker and redder than I had expected (and what appears in photos)

nsts2.jpg

Interesting. They look like cigar in the pic. Do you like the color?

Originally Posted by PorterInjax
Alden Indy while walking down one of my projects
5152817050_b036469aa3_b.jpg

Nice! Interesting pic!
Originally Posted by michaelw
2mexs0p.jpg

whiskey lhs

I need to get something like this.

number9dream

Reaction score
Interesting. They look like cigar in the pic. Do you like the color?

Yes, I do like the color. Although the picture makes them look as dark as cigar (the color in the photo is virtually identical to the cigar indys in the picture right above it), they are in fact several shades lighter --- very similar to the Allen Edmonds color "chili".

werdswerf

Reaction score
So, I just moved to the Pacific Northwest and am in the market for a pair of shell long wing bluchers (in either black or color 8). Problem is, I think I need that double waterloc sole, and I'm having difficulty finding a place that sells this specific combination. Can anybody help me out?

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
umm... I haven't seen that combination anywhere, so I would just get regular longwings and wear them. once the soles wear out after a couple of years, then get them re-soled with the type you like. changing the soles from regular leather to the oiled leather right when you get them would be an extreme waste of money IMO.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry if I'm going to open a can of worms here...but here goes:

Do any of you fellas own C&J? If so, how would you compare it to Alden? I want to buy a pair just for kicks, but it seems like it's quite a hassle. No local stores carry them and to get them resoled, they need to be sent back to England.

ltb

Reaction score
IMG_20101107_161034.jpg

phone pic - I think a nice camera may be on the Christmas list this year...

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Hey guys, sorry if I'm going to open a can of worms here...but here goes:

Do any of you fellas own C&J? If so, how would you compare it to Alden? I want to buy a pair just for kicks, but it seems like it's quite a hassle. No local stores carry them and to get them resoled, they need to be sent back to England.

Yes. You know most of the Ralph Lauren made in England shoes are by C&J as well as many of the Brooks Bros ones (the others being Alfred Sergent).

C&J seem to be slightly better made than Alden but I stil like Alden better.
There's no requirement that you send them to England to be resoled.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
Yes. You know most of the Ralph Lauren made in England shoes are by C&J as well as many of the Brooks Bros ones (the others being Alfred Sergent).

C&J seem to be slightly better made than Alden but I stil like Alden better.
There's no requirement that you send them to England to be resoled.

If they are better than Alden, even by a bit..why do you prefer Alden? Styling perhaps?

I want to try a pair of cap toe boots from C&J, but the turn off is the loop on the back of the shoes.
frown.gif

If you want them to be resoled by C&J themselves, you would have to send them back to England, no? Unless they have a satellite site in the states.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course, but they dont HAVE to be resoled by C&J...

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
If they are better than Alden, even by a bit..why do you prefer Alden? Styling perhaps?

I want to try a pair of cap toe boots from C&J, but the turn off is the loop on the back of the shoes.
frown.gif

If you want them to be resoled by C&J themselves, you would have to send them back to England, no? Unless they have a satellite site in the states.

lots of people like Made in USA.

also, it's not like there are exact like models to choose from in lots of cases. C&J doesn't make anything close to an Indy, I don't think they make longwings, they don't use whiskey or ravello shell, their shell offerings in general are more limited, etc

flip side is they have other styles

also, alden, though not easy, is easier to try on in person in the US

really, you should be asking questions like, if I want a burgundy cordovan PTB, should I go with the Alden 9901 or the C&J Ashdown?

otherwise it's kind of a silly question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads